Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Orange 5 S?
  • iFlash76
    Free Member

Hi all,

I am after some advise.

I have done my research on the Orange 5 and after a test ride I know it's the bike for me. 🙂

However there's the small matter of money!

I would really like the Pro, but as a I'm already stretching myself financially. Is the S a good enough spec to start with?

I know it will cost more in the long run to upgrade.

Thanks
    Ash

jonk

The bike is fine and good value imo. The elixir brakes are fantastic the only downside is the recon fork which is good but not as good as a fox.

RichT

It's fine, but I would be tempted to pay the £102 for an upgrade to a Fox float R fork or, even better, £132 for the Float R QR15 fork. Surely there is room for a bit of haggling?

Dobbo

or, even better, £132 for the Float R QR15 fork. Surely there is room for a bit of haggling?

+ wheel upgrade £125??

GaryLake
    Free Member

iFlash, I was in exactly the same boat as you… deffo take the Fox fork. However, I went in with Five S + Fox fork in mind and ended up with a Pro after I couldn't stop adding options. 😉

MadBillMcMad

much the same as GaryLake except I stuck with the S + upgrades, managing to leave out bits that would naturally 'decay'.

WooHoo – I get my new 5 at the weekend.

MountainMonkey
    Free Member

If you can't afford it, you can't afford it. If you can get your lbs to knock 10% off then you could hopefully upgrade to the fox fork (which is lovely), but at the end of the day even if you can't, you'll still get a great frame and kit that works. Plus, you can upgrade as you go along, especially using the classifieds on here and surely that's better than being in debt…

Right I'll stop sounding like your Mum now! (Just getting practice in, you see!) 😉

Cheers and enjoy the Five – it's an awesome bike!

RichT

Forgot about the wheel upgrade, typing too fast!

cycleworlduk
    Free Member

we sell very few five s's due to the reasons above….people will upgrade to the point where its better/cost effective to just get a pro….better wheels/xt etc..

but if you cant stretch that far then go for the s as its still the best frame and shock package you can get….

give me a call,we;ve had a quiet week! i'll do you a deal! 😉

grantway
    Free Member

The S is a good start But I think it is a must to upgrade
    to the Fox forks
    But when asked this before, can you not put the money down that you
    have for the Orange S and buy the rest on intrest free credit

Cycleworld can you get your hands on a 18 inch Medium Alpine 5 frame?

Del

if you go for the fox fork defo get the qr15.

hugh_b
    Free Member

as others have said, the fox fork upgrade would be worth it. Also worth asking whoever you are buying it from for their best price for both models. Obdviously the pro is a very nice step up and has some lovely parts on it but it does come down to money at the end of the day so think about the main things you'd like to upgrade on the S in the future such as fork & wheel upgrade as these parts don't wear like tyres/chains/sprockets etc.

Very good choice by the way…i've been riding the 2010 five for a while now and i love it to bits! Went for a custom build myself as i'm never happy otherwise 😆

matt_outandabout

St4 'S' here, with Fox QR15 RL and Hope Pro2 upgrade here – all the fancy gears n stuff wear out anyway….and a fancy saddle n post n bars only save a few grammes.

GlenMore
    Free Member

As above – if you could find a cheap 5S somewhere, any saving could go towards some upgrades. I'd do a wee online search of bike shops to see what turns up. Maybe you'd find a 2009 16" in Fools Gold if you looked hard enough.

mojo5pro
    Free Member

Orange website has a new orange five pro for £1849!! in there close out models. Says it's 2009 with fox talas. Looks a very good price!

jam-bo

dartmoor cycles have a complete orange 5 for £1500 last time I was in there. not sure of the spec or size.

it is green though.

iFlash76
    Free Member

WOW guys thanks for all your feedback.

I think I may be able to push myself for the £102 fork upgrades.

Just out of interest does the QR15 make a big difference?
    I've only ever had standard quick release, so I guess I wont know any difference.

mojo5pro / Glen – Been on the Orange website nearly every day and hadn't noticed they'd updated the offers page! 😆

cycleworlduk
    Free Member

grantway; alpine frame in 18" currently available in blue,mandarin and pearl yellow……five frames are 2 weeks away…..

cycleworlduk
    Free Member

iflash76……youve got mail! 🙂

grantway
    Free Member

Cycleworld I am on about the Alpine 5 Not the Alpine 160
    But thank you for getting in contact.

cycleworlduk
    Free Member

do you mean the all mountain five? if so its still two weeks…..the alpine five was a while ago….. 🙂

matt_outandabout

QR15 fox's over my old Rebas = stunning difference.

Compared to other Fox shocks, less noticeable, but still much better and stiffer at the limit.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Bear in mind that you don't HAVE to get the bike as advertised. I got the frame only and transferred the bits from my broken Rocky ETS-X frame.

Have a look at maybe dropping a grade on the brakes and/or gearing to make the difference if you're set on a pair of Fox forks (or better RockShox). 😉

grantway
    Free Member

Hi cycleworld thats right did'nt expect a brand new one
    But if you can get one please let me know mate 😉

Dobbo

Price wise I thought shops would all charge the same and then maybe give you a few freebies, I'm looking at either a Zesty 514 or a 5 Pro I just assumed I'd be paying £2500 for the Pro, does it pay to haggle and shop around? I'm talking about 2010 prices, what sort of price would you expect to pay for a 2009 Pro and what changes have been made between 09 and 2010 Pro's?

coatesy
    Free Member

Definitely pays to haggle, give me an e-mail(adress in profile) to see what sort of deal we can do for you.

cycleworlduk
    Free Member

theyre isnt any major difference with the 09 or the 010,frames been tweaked a little,id be amazed if theres any left because orange have a rolling change….im all on 010 bikes now.

shortbaldone
    Free Member

so is it worth the next step from the pro to the SE in the same way as it is from the s to the pro? (just to keep things going a while longer!)

Dobbo

shortbaldone – Member

so is it worth the next step from the pro to the SE in the same way as it is from the s to the pro?

Paying for bling valve rather than out and out performance it would seem.

cycleworlduk
    Free Member

tis lighter and foxier looking! also has tubeless tyres.xtr etc…its quite a bit dearer though….

MountainMonkey
    Free Member

Dobbo – definitely worth asking – my lbs (who are ace) knocked off 10% – which at that price, is well worth it!

I also stripped the frame, transferring the bits from my HT (apart from the forks) and sold the new kit – saved a few hundred I reckon, so was well worth the hassle.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Orange 5 S?’ is closed to new replies.