Viewing 23 posts - 41 through 63 (of 63 total)
  • Orange 5 or Alpine?
  • DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

geetee, this thread is not about saving weight on oxnops Alpine, its about how rad to the power of gnar squared the OP is.

I think the OP needs a Karpiel Armageddon or Brooklyn Super Trucker/Rubber Ducky, nothing else is rad enough.

geetee1972
    Free Member

geetee, this thread is not about saving weight on oxnops Alpine, its about how rad to the power of gnar squared the OP is.

😀 Quite!

But to be fair to the OP, it could just be that the only thing he (or she) is guilty of is honesty. I mean if you regularly hook up with people on a ride and find that you are faster than them, then is it really so bad to say that you are reasonably quick?

It’s not like he was being boastful so much as just adding information to the question. Probably quite relevant as well as I think typically on here, people assume you’re not much cop on a bike.

molgrips
    Free Member

I have a 5 and a Patriot in an XC build, which I suppose is loosely equivalent to the Alpine..? I choose the Patriot for anything that looks like being big – it’s too good of an opportunity to miss.

Climbing on the 5 is much nicer, but descending on the Patriot is so excellent that it easily cancels out the climbing.. If all I wanted to do was climb well I’d use a road bike 🙂

The thing that limits gnar-ness on the 5 really is the head angle and top tube length. Absolutely not an issue in normal riding really but when it gets steep and technical the Patriot is just better. And then on big rocky stuff it’s the extra stiffness, bigger tyres, wider bar, shorter stem, better brakes etc that I really appreciate.

peterfile
    Free Member

The thing that limits gnar-ness on the 5 really is the head angle and top tube length. Absolutely not an issue in normal riding really but when it gets steep and technical the Patriot is just better.

😯

Are you the first 5 owner to acknowledge that there are better bikes out there for certain types of riding than the 5? Probably.

I have a short test for you to find out whether or not you are telling the truth. When on your 5, do you regularly:

beat skilled DH riders on DH bikes on DH courses?
    drop 30ft to flat?
    climb hills on the road faster than someone on an road bike?
    pull 720’s at your local jump spot?
    ever ride anywhere other than the XC routes at Cannock?

molgrips
    Free Member

Lol 🙂

Only been to Cannock once….

I have taken the 5 down the DH course at Cwmcarn, and it was nowhere near as good as the Patriot. Which is obvious really, that’s why I have two different bikes 🙂

Actually I’m a big believer in the spectrum of different bikes for different things. I could fit in another couple of bikes between the ones I have quite easily I think and still be able to choose one for any given ride.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Sounds like if you’re finding it dead easy blatting about on an Iron Horse 7Point, get an Alpine.

cupid-stunt
    Free Member

wl, Your girlfriend told me your fingers smell like scampi Nic Naks.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Mmmm, scampi nik naks.

chakaping
    Free Member

Scampi Nik Naks or Nice n’ Spicy Nik Naks – now there’s a real dilemma!

OP – get an Alpine with a 36.

oxnop
    Free Member

geetee1972 – That is a lovely Nicolai!

I realise that I could get it lighter, I wouldnt have put a reverb on or changed the RP23 for a coil with a steel spring……..

Who cares about weight anyway! My previous bike was a LTc and a Mojo SL before that – I prefer riding the ‘heavyweight’ alpine.

Anyway I have a Soul for normal trails but that would be considered heavy at 27lbs!

myheadsashed

I have an Alpine 5………….so there 😯

That really is rad to the power of gnar x infinity x yourdogsgottits!!!

jam-bo

I’ve watched rowan sorrell take a 5 down gawton way faster than most could ride it on a proper DH bike.

If your not racing then a five will more than enough. I’ve been through a myriad of DH, FR and Trails bikes. The five is the first one I haven’t wanted to change within a few months.

crazyjohnyblows
    Free Member

These posts are amusing….i think i want a 5 more…strange? but im worried that an alpine 160 would suit me better

oxforddan
    Free Member

get a five am with a ccdb

jonzo
    Free Member

5AM..
    20mm less rear travel, 4lbs lighter and 0.5 degrees slacker head angle.

Or Alpine 160..
    20mm more rear travel, 4lbs heavier and 0.5 degree steeper head angle.

My money went on the 5AM and it’s a killer!

mrblobby
    Free Member

Not being an aficionado of the fives… is the 5 AM the same frame as the normal 5, just with a longer fork so the angles are slacker? Or does it really have a different geo? I ask because I can’t see a 5AM frame only on the orange site and the geo figures seem to suggest it’s the former. Thanks.

chunkypaul
    Free Member

as ‘myheadsashed’ mentions – don’t forget the Alpine 5 as well

Orange Alpine 5 and Orange 5

my old patriot was so much better going down though versus my 5

jonzo
    Free Member

@ mrblobby… AM has maxel back end.

fivespot
    Free Member

crazyjohnblows :…I’m lucky enough to own both 5 & Alpine 160 (both 2010 flavour). They are built-up very similar, apart from the forks. 150 Rev Teams on the 5, & 170 Lyrik solo air DH’s on the 160. I’m not saying I can do either justice compared to the likes of Rowan Sorrel. But I do prefer the 160 for the Trail Centre type riding I do, be-it going up or down. The 160 is 3 lb heavier than the 5, but I prefer it on steeper climbs as it doesn’t try and lift its front wheel like the 5. Then when you point it down, its just so much more fun and confidence inspiring than the 5. I know quite a few people have suggested a 5 with 160 forks, which although works well, still leaves you with 140mm of rear travel that will never match the 160mm of the Alpine (with its better shock/travel ratio) 8)

allmountainventure
    Free Member

peterfile – Member
    my mate in alp duez used to ride a cove shocker.
    After I stayed on his back tire on a rented trek remedy he bought an orange five a SWEARS BY IT.
    i take it you were catching him on singletrack, not proper DH? or is he just really slow? or were you riding some smooth DH?

the thought of someone on a 5 tailgating any good DH rider on a DH bike at say, Fort Bill, is quite funny. Unless the person on the 5 is called Mr Peat

The point I tried to make was for your average guy/gal you dont need a big bike because you might not ride it to its potential, it might even hold you back..

mrblobby
    Free Member

AM has maxel back end.

Is that the only difference, as that can be spec’d as an option on the five frame. No geo differences then on the frame?

el_diablo
    Free Member

Get a Blood if the 5 is not enough Gnar!

mountainman123
    Free Member

If you are so so good why you asking for advice!?
    IMHO i wouldnt buy either, if i had to have an Orange id give up bikeing.
    Theres loads of bikes out there that are a cross over between Trail and AM use. If you really couldnt find any other bike out there id probably go for the 5 and have a pair of 160s at hand to dump on for when you keep up with proper French downhillers!

Viewing 23 posts - 41 through 63 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘Orange 5 or Alpine?’ is closed to new replies.