Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Orange 5 heaset options (2011)
  • legend
    Free Member

Got a 5 frame on the way, tad confused about the headset it needs though. I figured that with the amount of 5’s on this place that someone could point me in the right direction 😉

Is there anything readily available? The Cane Creek on the factory builds doesn’t seem the easiest to come by. Am I right in thinking that if I go the Hope route that I need a 43.95mm 1 1/8th Integral top cup with a 1.5 Integral 55.9mm bottom cup?

I was surprised to see that the only obviously available FSA heaset is the cheapy Gravity one.

Cheers,

Mark

gsp1984
    Free Member

This is what came on mine

http://www.hopetech.com/page.aspx?itemid=SPG188&tab=specification

Should be readily available from orange or hope direct I would have thought

hairyneep
    Free Member

I would advise against the Cane Creek one anyway. Got my Five in June with the CC headset, in November it was unused for 3 weeks due to illness (me not the bike, before anyone asks) and during that time the headset seized. When I stripped it down the lower (cartridge) bearing was really rough but the upper (caged) bearing was almost solid. What grease was left was filthy and gritty. Seems poorly sealed with low rate bearings to me.

I had a Hope headset on my previous bike which was much better sealed and ran smoothly for 7 years (until bike was nicked) with minimal maintainance.

Go for the Hope, give them a call and they’ll keep you right as to which one you need.

cupid-stunt
    Free Member

Had a Hope one for a year without any problems. Not touched it and it’s still works like new.

coatesy
    Free Member

Hope tapered, possibly with the step-down crown race adaptor if you have 1 1/8″ forks. If you’re buying new, call the shop and see if they’ll fit it for you as part of the deal.

Jeffus
    Free Member

Chris King on mine early on there was not very much choice, now Hope are and a few others are available Hope is very nice had one on my Remedy.

Matt24k
    Free Member

+1 for the Hope tapered with the HB136 reducer if you have 1 1/8th forks. Got mine fitted by the supplying dealer and the BB faced at no extra charge.

legend
    Free Member

Thanks folks. next problem, is the Hope actually in stock anywhere just now? I think I can mix n match at Merlin but not totally sure (phone intarweb)

coatesy
    Free Member

Pretty sure we’ve got them in stock at Sunset, we seem to sell quite a lot with Orange frames.

jockhaggis
    Free Member

TBC have them showing in stock on their website.

Bottom
    Reducer

legend
    Free Member

Jock, it’s a type 2 integral it needs isn’t it? They’re out too 🙁

coatesy
    Free Member

SUNSET, call 02920371321

chris_mbuk
    Free Member

when i bought my alpine it came with the cane creek headset and within a few months it became knackered, balls missing noises coming from it, was terrible, so took it to the shop and being under warranty they put me a hope headset on for free and ive had no problems since! imo get the hope headset!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Orange 5 heaset options (2011)’ is closed to new replies.