Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Orange 5 – Anyone on here managed to break one?
  • beamers

I've been riding an Orange Sub 3 since 2003 and someone mentioned to me at the weekend that when 5s break they tend to go at the join of the top and seat tube.

This info was imparted to me just prior to the start of Mayhem and I spent every lap of the race convinced that my bike's time was about to come.

So, 5 owners past and present (and Sub 3 owners although I have only ever seen two of these bikes and one of them is mine), have you managed to break a frame and if so whereabouts on the frame did it break?

Cheers

jam-bo

i been trying hard as did the previous owner of mine.

battered but still intact.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

seen one let go at the headtube weld, the whole thing had come off from the rest of the frame, top tube was still bizzarely attached to the down tube.

Didn't Orange shock mounts usualy go before anything else.

coatesy
    Free Member

Not had a broken 5 returned to us at all as far as I remember, had a few earlier sub5's but nothing since.

matt_outandabout

7 years hard labour of Lakes, Peaks, Scotland, Wales, commuting, guiding and messing and my Sub5 was showing some ovalising of shock mounts and bad wear from cable rub. It had worn through three shocks, two forks, numerous wheels/bars/seat-posts, but the frame was OK.

stabilizers

I broke my 2004 5 last year trying to change the pivot bearings. The bearings were 'welded' in after 5 years. I stripped the pivot calmps trying to budge them. Apart from that the old frame is in perfect nick.
    Free to a good home if anyone will pay the postage. 😉

carlosg
    Free Member

One of my riding buddies managed to break his , it snapped below the swingarm pivot. Mind you he was using forks that were a bit long for it so that may have contributed.

matt_outandabout

What size stabilizers? I will have…

carbon337
    Free Member

Mines fine and I'm crap, 15 stone and thrash it about.

IHN

Marcus has got one, and if he ain't breakin' it, it ain't breakin'.

stabilizers

Medium or 16". Colour olive green with white decal.

brooess
    Free Member

2004 Five here. Had 18 months hard labour in the Lakes and then mainly down South. Been ridden a lot and ridden hard and altho it has a few dings from rocks and such it's solid as a rock.

crogthomas
    Free Member

Stabilizers
    If matt_outandabout doesnt want it, I'll take it. Just right for me.

SimonR

Yep – they can crack. Mine has just gone at the weld between the seat tube and top tube. Not particularly impressed seeing as it's only about 15 months old. Haven't had a chance to speak to the dealer yet …. that's a job for next weekend.

matt_outandabout

Too small for me – crogthomas has.

crogthomas
    Free Member

Stabilizers, my email address is in my profile, or let me know how to contact you. Thanks!

jonk

My 2005 cracked at the weld near the pivot, orange did me a deal on a new swingarm, this was back in 2008. I have recently discovered a small crack at the bottom bracket but im still riding it because the crack is only tiny. This 5 has been everywhere and done everything from enduro's to alps downhill weeks.

Lummox

I had a second hand sub 5 go under the swingarm pivot, replacement front triangle lasted serious abuse and new five has been abused further with no trouble.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Orange 5 – Anyone on here managed to break one?’ is closed to new replies.