Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Orange 5, 18 or 16 inch?
  • DaddyCool
    Free Member

Hi,

Im about to buy an orange 5 AM, cant decide weather to get an 18 or 16inch! Im 5′ 10” an want it for mainly more dh but a bit of big mountain riding as well.

Advice please!

Cheers in advance

druidh
    Free Member

I’m 5’7″ and tried out a 16″ – it was fine for me (size-wise at least). I imagine you’d be looking at an 18″?

depth-junkie
    Free Member

6ft bang on, 18inch for me.

falkirk-mark

5’9 and 16 but sometimes think I could have went bigger. suggest you try before you buy .however if downhill is a big part maybe 16 would be better

phaterman
    Free Member

I’m 5’10” too and also had this problem. Someone described it as the difference between sitting on the bike or sitting in the bike – go for the larger one if you would rather ‘sit in’. I went for the 18″ and glad I did. I haven’t looked back.

fivespot
    Free Member

5’10” on 18″ 5 here, but to be honest it feels a bit more cramped than my 18″ 160.

votchy
    Free Member

5’10” with 31″ inside leg and ride an 18″ 5, right size for lots of pedalling and with a GD post plenty of room to move around on the downs

jam-bo

Meh. 5’10” and ride a 16″. The 18″ I had stretched you out to much to be any good DH. Mine is a weapon. I love it.

krag
    Free Member

5″10 here and ride a 18, wish i’d got the 16.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

5’10” riders seem to be smack between Orange sizes.

I demo’ed Alpine 160s in both 16 & 18. Neither were right. The 18″ was comfortable all day but a bit of a barge, the 16″ was a complete hoot DH, but quite cramped to climb on.

The brief spin I had on a 16″ 5 suggested the same was true of that.

ukbullitt
    Free Member

I’m just under 5’10”. I ended up buying an Alpine 160 18″ after demoing the 16″ and 18″. I have a fairly long body and 30″ inside leg. 16″ felt a bit cramped – quite simialr in size to the medium Heckler I had before which always felta bit small.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

6ft bang on, 18inch for me.

6ft here – with an inline post and a 50mm stem now finding my 18″ a little short for XC. A 70mm stem fixes that though (yes – it really is that close)

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Steve Wade (Orange designer) is around 5’7″ and he rides a 16″.

(It should also be added that he rides it very, very quickly)

cycleworlduk
    Free Member

goto to orange dealer ” say can i get a 18″ or 16″ demo bike please?” one will come within 2 weeks,ride then decide…

simples!

DaddyCool
    Free Member

cheers for all the advice guys, keep it coming!! It seems that theres no straight forward answer to this one…

ianpv
    Free Member

just over 5’10”, 16″ patriot 66 if that helps. Rideen a 16″ five and wouldn’t want it bigger, but it did have a silly long stem on it.

sailor74
    Free Member

tough call, I have an 18″ Five and a 15″ blood, the blood has the same reach as a 16″ five.
    Im 5″10′

The shorter frame makes the bike a lot more playful, the lower seat tube also means that you can get the saddle further out of the way.
    I find the shorter frame is great for jumping, drops and general larking around, the downside though is that it doesnt corner as well, I need the extra top tube length so that I can work the fork more.
    I would say if you can handle the longer seat tube the 18′ would be faster, it will also be more stable at speed, and pedal uphill better.
    The shorter frame will give you more confidence on drops, jumps and the like, it is also more nimble on tighter tracks.
    I run both bikes with 50mm stems.

xiphon
    Free Member

If you’re going to be standing up more than sitting down (i.e. doing DH more than anything else), then get the smaller 16″ for better clearance.

carbon337
    Free Member

5′ 10″ here on an 18

wl
    Free Member

foxyrider
    Free Member

I’m 6ft and have an 18 and def wouldn’t want it smaller so I’d prob say 18 as well unless you want a flickable bike 🙂 as Xiphon says 🙂

iainc

5ft10 here, long back, short legs, and on an 18 with 80mm stem – feels spot on

mojo5pro
    Free Member

A five AM and mainly downhill, then I’d say go for 16″ if you are unable to demo. I’m 5’9″ and have a 16″. Felt more in command on the 16″ than the 18″.
    But try get a demo to make sure you are 100% happy.

DaddyCool
    Free Member

hi thanks to everyone for your advice. Think i’m gonna go with an 18 as the AM build comes with a 50mm stem so should be fine.

Thanks again, really helpful

Jeffus
    Free Member

Orange should make these frames as an AM option, I’m 5’9″ and mine is a good fit. 16″ seat tube Top tube of a 18″, 50mm stem.

shanta
    Free Member

Ive just accidently bought a 16″ (dont ask). Im 5″10 and although the 16″ is rideable im now after an 18″. So if anyones got an 2011 18″ pro PM me.

downs523
    Free Member

I just had my 17″. Five delivered and I an 5 ft 8 and seems to be correctly sized so maybe the 18 for you or try get a 17″ if ur buying newer model

shanta
    Free Member

Would love a new one bought not got the budget 🙁

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Orange 5, 18 or 16 inch?’ is closed to new replies.