Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Orange 5 – 16" or 18"??
  • allmountain76
    Free Member

Ok, i am after an orange 5. I will beef it up with longer forks for some trail centre / uplift stuff as well ass lakes xc. I am 5'10" with 32" inside leg. Will a 16" be too small bearing in mind i like a smaller frame or can i get away with it. What size frame do you use?

Jimbo
    Free Member

A test ride might be a good idea!

twang
    Free Member

I'm 5'8". 16" with 50mm stem and inline post, could do with a layback but I do have long 'ape arms'!

bowglie

I'm 6'1" with 34" inside leg and after much demo-ing went for an 18". I've fitted a 75mm stem and inline post and it feels spot on for size. My wife nicked the 18" demo bike off me and really liked it (she's 5'10", 34" leg) – and much as I hate to admit it, the bike did look pretty much the right size for her.

TBH, we've both currently got quite compact bikes to suit our favourite tight twist woodland trails, so the 18" Orange did feel a bit long at first – However, its turn of speed on singletrack surprised me, and on descents and drops, the larger size makes it very stable & confidence inspiring. Difficult to explain, but the bike rides smaller than it is – if that makes sense.

TBH, I reckon you'd get away with both sizes, but if you want 'flickability' over stability, the 16" might be better. If it's of any use, Glenn at Pedal Power in Loughboro' has an 18" demo.

steve_b77
    Free Member

My next door neighbour has a 16" Five, he's around 5'9" with a 30" inside leg.

When i test rode one I went for the 18", I'm 5'11" with a 33" inside leg, suited me just fine and dandy 8)

allmountain76
    Free Member

trouble is im buying used so a test ride isnt on the cards. However, i have an eye on a 16" so i guess i could see if it fits before i buy.

RichPenny
    Free Member

I'm 5'8" and ride a 16 with a 70mm stem. For me it was a touch too long with a 90. If you like smaller bikes I reckon you'd be fine on it.

unklebuck
    Free Member

6'0" and a 35" inside leg, ride an 05 18".

Reach is perfect with a 90mm stem but I have to have the saddle really high to get a good position for seated pedaling. If you prefer a small frame and happy to have a silly amount of a long seat post showing for more XC stuff then I reckon you'll be just about ok.

CheesybeanZ

5'10" and 31 inside leg and ride a 18" o5 and a 18" inbred .

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Orange 5 – 16" or 18"??’ is closed to new replies.