Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 65 total)
  • Opposite to the Google thread: Why does everyone hate Specialized/Giant/Trek?
  • Twin
    Free Member

Don’t understand this at all.

I know people like their niche bikes, but why the snobbery against these brands? I know they’re big, but make some really good bikes.

Also, some bigger brands like Commencal and GT seem to escape the wrath of forum goers?

Makes no sense to me.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

I like Specialized stuff a lot – we have four Spesh bikes and plenty of their kit.

So ner.

Jamie
    Free Member

Is this strawman argument day? Who hates on Spesh, Giant and Trek?

LMT
    Free Member

Not me, ive got 2 treks and love them! I grew up seeing the stupidly priced trek’s in my LBS as a teenager i could only afford a Raleigh Max, so i got my Treks now.

I do like my Fuel Ex although i do need to sell it to make room for another bike.

MSP

Giant – used to be good value for money, not so much anymore.
    Specialized, trek and GT make OK bikes, but nothing that inspires more than can be bought more cheaply from the like of canyon, focus, cube stc. Although spesh’s iron clad warranty reputation should give them a slight edge in a like for like comparison.

LMT
    Free Member

Treks, lifetime frame warranty, as long as you don’t mess too much with the bike. Thats a winner for me.

MSP

Do trek actually backup the rather meaningless “lifetime” claim though? I know people have had probs with them a few years back, not heard anything more recently. The thing with spesh is they always seem to come up with the goods on warranty claims.

ton

specialized make great stuff……….just dont like their f/s stuff
    clothes and shoes are great products.
    road bikes are great too.

uplink
    Free Member

Why does everyone hate Specialized/Giant/Trek?

Do they?

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Spesh helmets are good too – hard to beat the 2D as an XC lid.

RealMan
    Free Member

My last road ride I was wearing specialized shoes, leg warmers, bib shorts, base layer, jersey, helmet, gloves, sunglasses. My socks weren’t, and that was it. Look like a model from one of their catalogues sometimes. Its really great kit.

Also had my trusty specialized mini pump with me, plus a specialized inner tube.

nickc

I’ve pretty much always used Spesh Helmets. had a couple of their bikes, they were great.

peachos
    Free Member

Do trek actually backup the rather meaningless “lifetime” claim though? I know people have had probs with them a few years back, not heard anything more recently. The thing with spesh is they always seem to come up with the goods on warranty claims.

got a mate who had a 2009 Remedy 9. fairly well used but he washed it with the wrong detergen/brillo pad or something stupid and the lacquer/paint came off. got a 2010 Scratch on warranty.

Twin
    Free Member

OK

Maybe over generalising when I say everyone. Not everyone, obviously, otherwise no-one would own them.

Have they become like Microsoft, McDonalds etc is maybe the way I’m going with this.

grumm
    Free Member

Lots of hate for Specialized on here – tends to only be from the saddest niche purists though, mentioning no names in particular *cough*

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

+1 Grum.

Big companies that make great bikes, and back them up with proper warranties and service. What’s not to like?

RealMan
    Free Member

Yes, I remember someone saying a few weeks ago on one thread that he’d rather die then ride a specialized. Seems a bit silly.

verses

Do trek actually backup the rather meaningless “lifetime” claim though?

My Gary Fisher frame broke after 3 years. Trek not only replaced it, but swapped it for the next model up 🙂 My only grievance at the time was the fact they wouldn’t pay to have the shop build up the new frame with the old components, but I may have just been wanting the moon on a stick there…

EDIT: I’m told that the replacement frame includes its own lifetime warranty too

timc
    Free Member

Because having something more exclusive is cool

Twin
    Free Member

timc – Member

Maybe so, but does that mean that other manufacturers are therefore sh!te?

I like Specialized a lot. If I was buying a full-sus frame, the SX Trail would be top of my list.

Never been interested in Giant or Trek though.

shedfull
    Free Member

I bought a Spesh hardtail, then a road bike then a Stumpy because of their legendary after-sales and warranty service. But I think those legends were born in pre-recession times. I still like their bikes but I will never buy a bike with Specialized’s suspension – forks or “brain” shocks – as they’re fragile.

grumm
    Free Member

Caring about being exclusive isn’t cool.

santacrews
    Free Member

I,m not a particularly Huge fan of any of them if i,m honest !

INCOMING !

I,m just particular and a bit narrow minded. I had a bad experience with a Spesh Enduro years ago and that put me off,

I’m not keen on many of the new ones mentioned either Cube, Ghost etc etc
    Its not just bikes i,m the same with clothes Shoes Cars and all sorts of Sh!t

Sorry………..

ollie
    Free Member

I’ve only owned Giant and Spesh, does this make me super uncool or do I need to buy a Trek next?

I_Ache
    Free Member

Had 2 Spech FS bikes and a Trek road bike all good bikes but to be honest I havnt had that many bikes so have no comparison to the more boutique stuff.

timc
    Free Member

Twin – Member
    timc – Member

Maybe so, but does that mean that other manufacturers are therefore sh!te?

In the eyes of those idiots, yes, sadly…

timc
    Free Member

grum – Member
    Caring about being exclusive isn’t cool.

exactly…

For the record I have x2 specialized’s & x1 giant…

stumpy01

My first proper mountain bike was a Specialized and it served me well. Considering it wasn’t really designed for it, it managed well when I took it to Spain and despite my best efforts to kill it with several falling off incidents down steep hillsides it remained completely unscathed.

This yr I replaced it with a 2010 Stumpy Elite and a couple of months ago it developed a paint defect. Spesh UK wanted to see the frame and decided to offer me an upgrade to the Pro Carbon model for £50. A week later I was back up and riding again, there was no quibble about whether the replacement was justified and I am well pleased with the service.

What others think of my bike and how niche my bike is comes a long way down my list of priorities.

Coleman
    Free Member

Most of the people I ride with have ‘built in a shed out of scaffold poles’ bikes, so my Specialized/Giant’s end up being niche!

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

I killed two pairs of Spesh shoes as a guide in two seasons. My old Shimanos are still going now. Their gloves also seem to disintegrate – I get the impression that their stuff is well designed, but put together on the cheap. Cost of R&D maybe?

I also don’t like Specialized’s idea of routing a brake hose on the underside of a downtube. Does no-one else find that is rockier climes their downtube gets a hammering from flying rocks? I’m sure there’s a reason for it, but common sense tells me it’s baaaaad.

I *also* don’t like the fact that on most Specialized sussers the seat-tube is interrupted.

Nice riding bikes though – I’ve owned two.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

New Treks look ace tho. And I’ve always liked Giant.

snowpaul
    Free Member

I quite like giant and trek ( we own a few of each ) – I personally dislike spec cable routing esp on full sus – however its a bit of hate for the whole MBR up spec ass = anti spec bikes mabe? Oh and the fact that their brain / own brand / x fusion shocks are/were really really shonky and thats from real life experience from mates bikes / working in the biz – good warranty thou – they have had a lot of practice….

If I were buying a run of the mill bike i would choose Trek every day. Big brand bikes just arent that exciting for niche mongers….

paul

PJM1974
    Free Member

No issue with Spesh kit here. I used to have a problem with Trek being the type of bike Ned Flanders would ride, but thanks to new colour schemes and suspension design I rather like them.

My second bike is a Marin…

PeteG55
    Free Member

Had 2 specialized, great bikes. Got a Trek road bike at the moment, would buy any of them to be honest. Anyway aren’t Specialized and Trek made by Merida in Taiwan anyway?
    Giant is the worlds biggest bicycle manufacturer with Merida being the 2nd biggest iirc. Maybe thats the problem for most, not rare/niche enough. Oh well, thats their loss. Missing out on some great bikes.

druidh
    Free Member

There is a very small minority of folk who have a downer on these brands. It’s just that they all post on here. If you think that forum is a representative sample of the UK biking community then you need to get out (a lot) more.

GW
    Free Member

hmm… I currently have 3 specializeds, 2 Giants and one Trek. I Rode a Spesh and a Giant today, shoulda known better, hated every minute of it 🙄

spacemonkey

No real comment from me on Giant and Trek … but I’ve had 5 Spesh bikes and various other bits of their kit. Have also had nothing but excellent customer service (like many others), so what’s not to like? IMO they make stuff that works. Nuff said.

King-ocelot
    Free Member

I don’t hate spesh but the salesman in thier concept store was patronising. I don’t think this covers thier customer service as a whole, just an isolated case. I’ve had a few spesh helmets and they have been great.

King-ocelot
    Free Member

I do hate Mongoose though and don’t know why.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 65 total)

The topic ‘Opposite to the Google thread: Why does everyone hate Specialized/Giant/Trek?’ is closed to new replies.