Viewing 22 posts - 41 through 62 (of 62 total)
  • Opinions on this instead of a Brompton…?
  • cynic-al
    Free Member

bikebuoy – it’s still folds way smaller. Just because there is other newer stuff out there, does not make it better (which seems to be your argument).

loddrik – Member
    Defo gonna be the brompton now.

😛

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

The improvements are many, some small, some not so small, but the overall result is a much sharper, less flexy, more responsive and very sharply braking bike. Oh and the fold is still the best

Hear, hear! Mine is sitting in my office alongside me, and that description is spot on.

loddrik
    Free Member

I know I know. It was the weight and tyre size what did it in the end. Gonna bodge some mudguards as they very near fit but just rub on the brake cable ever so slightly apparently.

jackthedog
    Free Member

Moulton’s are iconic (broke a record donchaknow) but they don’t seem to shrink down so well.

Not all Moultons have separable frames, and the ones that do are more like a normal bike with S&S Couplings than they are to any folding bike.

I’d have gone with the Brommie personally, simply because of the size of the fold, but next to the Tern they do look like something from the victorian era.

bikebouy
    Free Member

“The New One” 😆

Most deffo a coffee over keyboard moment there sonny, and I ain’t done that in some while reading off here.

The Brommie shop in Long Acre (Lunjon) is a couple of doors away from one of my fave restaurants in Lunjon and I always pop in, I always take a look at the bikes and thier pretty colours. I quite like the shop, I ached for it to be open for months. So, I am informed, the current bike is the old bike I was aluding too… 😉

Again the argument rests on the Luverz “it folds nice and unfolds nice and quick” So, so you see thats one of the very very few positive points they have, but that comes with it’s limits namely a wobbly arse, squeeky brakes, shuddery headstock and flexable levers that are great pretenders of controlling mechanisms.

Hard to see past “shake rattle and roll” when you are in Luv I suppose.

I don’t critise lightly. I do feel they’ve passed thier sell by date 8 years ago, trade only as a marketing segment to those with rose tinted eyes who endure, sorry enjoy being seen as some crowd pleaser.

To note: I’ve been using a foldie for 4 1/2 years, bought my first Brommie as the first step into under desk reassurance then sold it within 9mths for something more sturdy that rides better that looks better and is cheaper and waaaaaay more reliable.

But my logic clearly doesn’t follow suit (cough) to those Luverz, my suit follows a different cut, modern, tailored, clean, efficient.

😉

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

limits namely a wobbly arse, squeeky brakes, shuddery headstock and flexable levers that are great pretenders of controlling mechanisms.

I don’t know what you thought you were looking at, but these have all been sorted now.

The main reason I have a Brompton is for the fold as I take on a train twice a day. I regularly see other ‘folding’ bikes that barely fold in half and take up loads of space. Obviously the fold, ingenious as it is, will compromise some other aspects. A bit like singlespeeds being ‘maintenance free’ will never be as quick as something that has a full chainset on it.

voodoo_chile

Don’t get the idea of a folder over a standard bike unless you are traveling on a train or bus ,as for buying a bike for resale value surely you would buy it because it is the one you want to ride

voodoo_chile

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Don’t get the idea of a folder over a standard bike unless you are traveling on a train or bus

If you only do short journeys in and around a city, it makes a massive amount of sense. No need to lock your bike up anywhere, just fold and put it under your desk. Unfold, ride to the Royal Opera House and check it in to the cloakroom*, then unfold and ride home.

*Example used as I tried it once. Turns out that they only accept Bromptons. 8)

bikebouy
    Free Member

^^ I agree with CFH, I’ve carried mine around many shops in that Lonjon with no hassle whatsoever.

They really are an exceptional tool for the job of hop on, hop off, fold, unfold, hop on..

aaaannnnnd repeat.

voodoo_chile

Tried a few , find them very unstable …rather have a hack I can lock anywhere

loddrik
    Free Member

I really enjoyed riding the Dahon Mu Uno I had briefly. In fact I’d say tte only thing it needed was some gears.

My lack of bike storage at home meant that, in the interests of marital harmony, a folder was my only option.

akira

Had about one brompton back with issues over the years, had lots of other folders back in the same period of time. And thats with selling substantially more bromptons in the first place.

Bez

Bikes in shopping trolleys? Do you people not have locks?

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Keep an eye on that frame hinge and try to get to know it and how it works so you can check it and keep it tensioned right.

Melted wax from a candle can be used for a lube on the hinge in case it starts creaking.

Could never really figure out the relationship between creaks and how my hinge was set up on my dahon.

TiRed

Speed of fold? The difference between a Brompton and most other folders is that you will store the Brompton folded, but lean the others aside unfolded when possible.

I’d love to see a new Brompton, bigger wheels, lighter frame. But I suspect the tooling for production is prohibitive.

Want flexy? I had an Airframe – now THAT was a flexy bike. Amazingly light though. Quite like a Bickerton next. Or a Mezzo.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Speed of fold? The difference between a Brompton and most other folders is that you will store the Brompton folded, but lean the others aside unfolded when possible.

you can fold a birdy faster than a brompton and it sits upright fine. Plus it rides an awful lot better. Bromptons only advantage is the size of the folded package.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

wheel size restrictions on trains are often 18inches, which includes bromptons, mezzos and birdys, but not Dahons…

aP
    Free Member

I’ve had my S2SL for nearly 4 years now and it’s the bike I actually ride the most. It’s not noticeably flexy, the brakes are fine, and its only squeaked for a couple of weeks after riding home in heavy rain (sorted by spraying a tiny amount of WD40 on the suspension block bolt).
    It folds quickly, goes on trains and the Tube, comes into shops and other people’s offices and the pub.
    3 years ago I used it to train for the Maratona – train from Richmond to Waterloo, cycle into Canary Wharf, work 10 hours, cycle all the way home.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

fitted with crap second rate parts out of a bucket from manufacturers who couldn’t shift the parts (then badged as genuine Brommie)

I think they’ve woken up to that now – the recent ones i’ve seen have much better brakes and generally better quality ‘own brand’ parts. Some of theme used to be shocking for the price.

Speed of fold? The difference between a Brompton and most other folders is that you will store the Brompton folded, but lean the others aside unfolded when possible

Do you people not have locks?

It’s as quick to fold a brompton as it it to lock it up. So you take it in with you and don’t spend your time worrying about it getting nicked. The ultimate pub bike – it sits under the table and if you get too pissed to ride home it goes in the back of a cab.

Or a Mezzo.

Now the Mezzo *should* have been the brompton killer. Quick to fold with those lovely big clips rather than the twiddly wind up things. *Proper* parts – you could move your MTB hand me downs to it.

A friend has one and it’s just not as good as a brompton. Rattles like crazy. Feels like it’s pulling to one side under power. Chain exposed when folded (bromptons ends up hidden inside – don’t underestimate that), and luggage not as good (the brompton front bags just make sense on a folder. Really wanted to like it more than I do.

commuter007
    Free Member

I love my Brompton had it for years, used it daily for my commute to London, I don’t think I would swap it out for one of those, just to convenient a fold.

As a long time lurker I thought I would finally put up a post as I think my latest accessory for my Brompton is worth sharing, its a hand made in the UK carry handle by RAW from http://www.bikefrenzy.co.uk.

My brompton is tricked out with ti forks and rear triangle with lots of bits from my mtb.

The Raw handle I bought a few months ago is just awesome and really complements the looks and function of my bike, it also has the Brooks saddle and grips so this leather accessory really fits in.

After using the handle daily for a few months its is standing up really well to the abuse I have thrown at it, its made of very thick saddle leather so hasn’t stretched or gone out of shape.

A bit of a design fault on the Brompton is the folding pedal, it scratches the frame which really p1sses me off, however with the Raw handle fitted it stops that which is an added bonus.

Any way enough witering heres a pic with the handle in toe.:

bencooper
    Free Member

A bit of a design fault on the Brompton is the folding pedal, it scratches the frame which really p1sses me off,

Recent cranks (last 3-4 years) have got knobbles on the back which stop the pedal folding so far that it hits the frame.

Viewing 22 posts - 41 through 62 (of 62 total)

The topic ‘Opinions on this instead of a Brompton…?’ is closed to new replies.