Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 150 total)
  • Opinions on a Cayenne…..*lights paper, stands well back*
  • flange
    Free Member

Bazzer – I like the cut of your jib

The only thing that puts me off is that its an estate. Now I realise that a Cayenne is an estate, but its an estate on bigger wheels. Fussy I know, but these things matter (to me….)

Then one thing leads to another, I get looking at Pistonheads again and…

Now that I LIKE…

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

What do you class as not much cash, you must live in a different world to alot of people!

IMO the Porsche is better than the BMW X5 because you look slightly less of a C@ck. 🙂

konabunny
    Free Member

Now that I LIKE…

Works in IT, posts on STW, likes Audi estates… 🙂

ridethelakes
    Free Member

I've been in one, its a cracking drive, sporty and fast but super relaxing to drive and luxurious inside. The diesel is impressively economical: 38 mpg combined.

Servicing, tyres etc are silly expensive though and there's not much room in the back either. Its a big car as well, too wide for the country lanes where I live.

Kevevs
    Free Member

Is it a type of sandwich?

Rockhopper
    Free Member

NZCol

I'd go amg wagon or an rs4 over a cayenne anyday. Or a 911 and be done with it, every time I drive mine I giggle, other people would giggle at your cayenne

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

A 550bhp cayenne still won't be as quick as an RS6.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Cayenne does tick a lot of boxes and they are indecently rapid in turbo (or even S) form.

Forget what everyone here thinks – just get one and have some fun!

Also look at the AMG M Class Mercs and the X5 4.8is – both also rapid SUVs that all STWers will hate.

Loads of people recommending estate cars but seeing as you didn't suggest one, I assume you don't want one?!

If you do and judging your approx budget from the 996 comment, look at a BMW 550i Touring (stealth M5 that's much better on fuel) and a remapped 535d Touring. I have a feeling a 3 series will be too small? If not I will always recommend the 335d Touring cos I love mine 😉

loddrik
    Free Member

Get an Alpina, pure class. Had 2 and prefered them to my AMG's or M3's, now drive a battered Touran!

Damn. where did it all go wrong…

bazzer
    Free Member

So go for an E55 AMG in a saloon then ? I sugested the estate for the bike carrying and they also use the estate as the F1 pace car 🙂

If he is after a Starship Enterprise warp drive uber barge then surely the V10 M5 is the only model worth considering. All the others are great cars but ordinary in comparison to the 500BHP+ big hitters.

Bazzer

higgo
    Free Member

We don't have to be sensible all the time, do we?

Or tasteful, or smart, or dignified…

Nope, I don't see why we have to be tasteful, smart or dignified all the time either.

Cougar

An ex-financial director of mine had one on test for a couple of days when he was looking for a new car, and I got to drive it one lunchtime. The one thing that stuck in my mind is it was astonishingly fast, especially for the size of the thing.

He tried a bunch of vehicles in the same class, ended up buying the Touareg.

fisha
    Free Member

Just not my cup of tea personally. I just dont see that it covers any of the bases fully enough to be worth the money of the all out power.

OK – it'll be fast, certainly in a straight line, but hit a corner, and no matter how good the suspension/steering, you will feel its weight. You'll always notice it and wonder about what if the lighter handling of a sports car would have been better.

The flip side is that when you're not booting it, and you're cruising along, bikes in the back using the practical side of it, it'll have a hefty fuel bill and drink.

I have a 4.4 V8 Range Rover. OK – its not Cayenne in terms of power, but its no slouch off the line with the foot to the floor. I didn't see the need of a bigger power output ( and even more thirstier ), when its already something that I can push along quickly. Cause its a stock engine ( no chargers or turbos ), I've got it LPG'ed as well, which helps too. On a run, i'll be up at equivalent running costs of 30+mpg.

I now think that if I want the speed/handling, I'd definitely go the 2 seater sports car route.

Tiger6791

Your only on Gods earth for a limited number of years.

You might as well spend a couple of those in a big 4×4 that goes fast if you can.

£13k is f all money really and sell it 2 years and get what £8-9k

I reckon fill ya boots and scratch the itch and bollox to the "nay" sayers

cyclical
    Free Member

If you haven't already had a car that size I would have a think about the practicalities. I had a big 4×4 for a couple of years and loved the space, comfort, power etc but it was a pain in the ass to drive in town and park anywhere. It just wasn't a fun car to own. Replaced it with a wrx wagon which is perfect for carrying a couple of bikes, cheaper and a lot more fun to run about in.

Olly
    Free Member

This thread has reminded me why I stopped coming in here.

Tossers.

tonyg2003

I'm not sure why you can't fit a bike into the back of a RS6 or a E55 AMG or an M5 estate? I don't think that the Cayenne's boot is any bigger.

It's funny that the RS6 or E55 both have amazing thirsts, not much different to the Cayenne but get loads less abuse than a 4×4.

The Cayenne doesn't do it for me but each to their own. You can't get hacked off by 4×4's down here in deepest Surrey there are sooo many.

grahamt1980

Olly
    I think your dummy went that way ————–>

locomotive

in resposne to OP.

Cayenne. Put simply – a triumph of marketing over engineering.

An incredible (good) execution of a totally sh*t concept. Ferdinand must be in his grave doing more revs than a bi-turbo 3.6 flat 6

Jamie
    Free Member

Olly – Member
    Tossers.

So wait. Are you pro or against the Cayenne?

….or were you just fed up of having your toys actually in your pram?

bravohotel9er
    Free Member

Ultimately, they're all just mobile gun platforms for urban drug wars.

With that in mind, why not get a Cadillac Escalade on 22 inch chrome rims.
    Spinners optional, but encouraged.

Digger90
    Free Member

Wow, being in a position to buy a nice car certainly stirs up some latent negativity among the STW massif doesn't it?

My advice: do what I did and get a Porsche 996 Carrera PLUS an old beater estate (I got an Isuzu Trooper) to chuck muddy bikes/dogs/children into.

I prefer the looks of the Touareg over the Cayenne if you go down that route anyway.

brakes
    Free Member

pimp

locomotive

Pimp?

…Im sure Id of loved that when I was about 14.

Flange – In my opinion (I think you posted looking for them) your P.H finds are a much much better idea.

grahamt1980

Bakes – That thing is FUGLY

fisha
    Free Member

Porsche Cayenne A-Team version …. I pity the fool!

konabunny
    Free Member

Wow, being in a position to buy a nice car certainly stirs up some latent negativity among the STW massif doesn't it?

The car isn't nice, though!

MrNutt
    Free Member

Stop mincing and get a bowler Tomcat

hughjayteens
    Free Member

I looked at a few Cayennes as I wanted something big and practical, but that was nice to drive too. In the end I bought a diesel RR Vogue as it just 'felt' nicer to drive, and I am getting about 28mpg compared with about 18mpg from a Cayenne S and maybe 15mpg from a Turbo. Pistonheads.com has a prety decent Porka forum but is mainly 911 focused to be fair.

There is so many of them round my way that they aren't hated in the way they seem to be in some places, but it was the running costs and residuals that put me off in the end and I don't care what people think anyway!

I have always previously had fast cars, but with 2 kids, a dog and a family who now all cycles, I needed something bigger than your average estate and am liking the way I drive everywhere in a far more relaxed manner now!

I looked at 535D estates (fast but boring), C55 AMG states (same) and very nearly bought a 550i (which was lovely – what an engine) but couldn't find an estate or a saloon with folding rear seats. Never been a fan of Audis (apart from the V8 RS4) and the RS6 can have Cayenne shaming running costs so didn't fancy one of those.

Touch wood, the Range has been 100% reliable so far and still makes me smile every time I drive it.

CountZero

Olly – Member
    Tossers.

Nobody missed you.
    Purely on looks, I just don't think the Cayenne works somehow. I've always had a hankering for a Toureg. The one with the '**** me!' V10 diesel. A bit of work remapping that and tweaking the suspension ought to do the trick, and they just don't really look like a big car. Quite a few Touregs round my way and no-one really pays them much attention, which I like.

Spongebob
    Free Member

That Cayenne will cost about £8 Squillion every time it goes in the Porsche workshop!

Spongebob
    Free Member

konabunny – Member

Now that I LIKE…

Works in IT, posts on STW, likes Audi estates…

Works in IT – Not at the moment, but would love to get back into it.
    Posts on STW – Erm, yep!
    Likes Audi Estates – Has owned one for past 9 years.

Is there a pattern forming here?

zokes
    Free Member

Tossers.

Funny, attitudes like yours tend to have the same effect on quite a few people. Mind you shut the door on your way out…

konabunny
    Free Member

Nope, I don't see why we have to be tasteful, smart or dignified all the time either.

But most people would aim to be at least one of those things! The Cayenne is a WAG's car. If you have orange skin and park in disabled bays outside Leeds Harvey Nicks, then that is the car for you.

Coyote
    Free Member

Saw one on the motorway yesterday. Had the reg plate FLA 5H.

Driver was a fat bloke with piggy eyes and a smug expression. Said it all really.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Can't be arsed to read the above but at what point do you think a cayenne will be quicker than an rs6? The only quicker I can think of is coming off the Tarmac when attempting to corner as fast as the rs6! That baby will eat the porker for breakfast!!!!!!!!!!

konabunny
    Free Member

Saw one on the motorway yesterday. Had the reg plate FLA 5H.

Driver was a fat bloke with piggy eyes and a smug expression. Said it all really.

"Considerably richer than yow"

NorthernStar
    Free Member

There's no way a Cayenne will be faster than an RS6 – not even with 550bhp. It's just too heavy and unaerodynamic.

Never understood why anyone would want to buy an off roader that actually is not very good at going off-road. I'd say if you want an off roader then buy a proper Land Rover, Jeep or something similar that can actually do the job intended. If you want a fast vehicle that handles well then buy a proper car – end of.

mos

I considered one, but got a disco 3. Dad had a Q7 which is similar but the boot dimensions were a pita.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 150 total)

The topic ‘Opinions on a Cayenne…..*lights paper, stands well back*’ is closed to new replies.