Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Opening a Spanish bank account from UK?
  • Leku
    Free Member

We need to open a Spanish bank account as have had an offer accepted on a house. So far everyone says that we to go to Spain to do so.

Does anyone know of a way we can do this from the UK (and save ourselves a round trip for a 5 minute meeting).

Have already tried BBVA in London with no luck.

jimoiseau
    Free Member

I’ve had the same problem trying to change bank account in the UK while living in France, they all want you to sign something saying you’re resident in the UK and I’m not (and I’m not sure if spending two weeks back in the UK over Christmas really counts as “resident”).

I do know that HSBC will allow you to open a bank account abroad using your UK address temporarily until you have a foreign address sorted, as long as you have a UK HSBC account registered to that address too. I’m not sure if they’ll let you do this from the UK, but it’s worth popping in to one of their branches and asking.

Edit: Just re-read the OP and looks like you already have a Spanish address so that won’t be a problem. I would still try HSBC as they seem to be the most international of the major banks, but try Santander too as they’re a Spanish company.

Leku
    Free Member

We don’t have an address of our own yet but my Mother-in-Law lives in Bilbao, so we can use that to start with if need be.

Leku
    Free Member

Grrr. HSBC offer this service. Just not in Spain.
    Still looking.

paulx
    Free Member

Banco de Sabadell – they have an English speaking department. Should be able to help.

https://www.bancsabadell.com/cs/Satellite/SabAtl/Welcome/1191360138231/en/

Worked fine for us when we were living down in Barcelona.

jambalaya
    Free Member

It’s a product of the banking laws and particularly anti money laundering. I was going to suggest HSBC also but see the “no Spain” post

Your best bet might be to get you solicitor to handle payments for you, they may be able to open an account on your behalf

DrJ

I’ve changed countries a few times in recent years, and British banks are the most annoying to deal with. For one thing, they all want/need proof of address, but as there is no official document that proves your address, they all have their own arbitrary list. Ironically, the same organisations that want you to bank online and receive online statements also insist on posted paper copies of electricity bills etc to prove your address. Also – trivial but annoying – British banks websites always seem to assume that foreign countries have a postcode in UK format. And while I’m at it – First Direct won’t let me make a foreign transfer with IBAN/BIC.

No use to the OP, but maybe of use to someone – I was able to open a bank in France at La Banque Postale without ever setting foot in France.

Mackem

I’d be very surprised if a Spanish bank would let you open an account without a DNI number. (ID) and/or proof of residency. I think using the MIL is the best bet.

DRJ – I’m with First Direct in UK and with La Caixa in Spain. Always have used IBAN and BICs for transfers.

DrJ

Mackem – sorry – in my grumpiness I forgot to say that I meant via their internet bank site 🙂

Mackem

– that’s what I use.

Stoner
    Free Member

No use to the OP, but maybe of use to someone – I was able to open a bank in France at La Banque Postale without ever setting foot in France.

DrJ – was that all done online?

Mackem

Barclays have branches in Spain, might be worth a look.

DrJ

Stoner – yes it was. Surprisingly straightforward …

Stoner
    Free Member

Your not kidding! I only went on the website to check it out and 10mins later Ive nearly opened a bank account already! Im sure theyre going to ask me to send the freshly cut ear of my firstborn though as proof of id or something….

DrJ

Glad that worked out !! France has still mostly not understood the internet, so it’s a relief to find something that actually works and doesn’t just show you a load of wizzy animations and dead links.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Hi I did it around ten years ago at Banco Santander’s head office in central London . They now own abbey of course . I just needed Id and so on although times may have changed

Edit just seen the last few comments!

iffoverload
    Free Member

I would use an abogado, they will advise you and help set everything up.
    you can open a non resident account with a passport unless this has changed, but you will need an NIE soon and a few other standard documents for a multitude of things.

giving over power of attourney to somebody is a way around not being present if you have total faith in them.

pretty sure Barclays in spain has nothing to do with the UK bank
    deutchebank may be helpful

Stoner
    Free Member

tell you what though, Im grateful for the “Free banking” we get in the UK.

Mrs S and I have 4 or 5 accounts with Barclays, 1 with Santander and a a couple of business ones with RBS. We only pay for the business account.

But Banque Postale want €85 a year for a joint account with a debit card…

But it will save us a packet in IBAN charges

Leku
    Free Member

And the winner is …

Banco de Sabadell (thanks Paulx)

Early days but very helpful so far. It does require two trips to London but still far cheaper / easier than flying out.

jambalaya
    Free Member

We like a happy ending !

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Opening a Spanish bank account from UK?’ is closed to new replies.