Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Open water swimming taking a hold on me.
  • geologist
    Free Member

Anyone doing any open water races/swims this year. Signed up for the epic events swims and a couple of 5km swims so far.

Gutted I missed out on the coniston end to end this year!

I dont know weather it was the crappy muddy winter, but for the first time in a few years im not as excited about riding as I normally am. The last time this happened it was rock climbing, and I ended up not riding for 6 years!

Anyone else have these periods of lack of motivation for cycling from time to time?

jekkyl

I never experience lack of motivation for cycling. I do like open water swimming a lot, on a very hot day.

ebygomm
    Free Member

I’m doing the Derwent Epic swim. Did Ullswater and Conniston last year, which due to the weather were completely different events.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Riding comes and goes for me – I’ve barely ridden any techie mtb stuff for a 3 years or so and I miss it, but not in the winter!

Road riding and running for me – and open water swimming out of winter – but mostly as part of tri training.

geologist
    Free Member

Having said all that, just had a really great ride, even found some new trails in my local dh area!

carlphillips
    Free Member

Just started getting into it, I’ve signed up for the dart 10km this year so I’m training for that. For the first time in 20yrs I’ve not ridden much, a few contributing factors in there but constant rain is high on the list!!

shedbrewed
    Free Member

My g/f loves it and has a couple of 10k’s signed up for this year. Also hoping to do the Northumberland Strait when we’re over there in Sept. Channel relay last year and solo booked for 2016. I’ve done some river swims with her but whilst it was fun, I’ll stick to dry land, ta.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Done a couple so far this year in preparation for a triathlon in the summer. Quite enjoyable in their own right but I wish I could stop the wetsuit rubbing my neck. Even bodyglide isn’t helping.

carlphillips
    Free Member

Onza… Tried a rash vest?

Onzadog
    Free Member

Not yet, but it has been suggested on another thread. Looks like I’m off to decathlon.

molgrips
    Free Member

I struggle to keep water out of my gob when swimming, which would make me nervous about open water.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Molgrips, it tastes less awful that chlorinated pool water. Can of full fat coke as soon as you come out should help kill off any bugs you might have swallowed.

turboferret

I had a little 3.8km ocean swim in South Africa the other week, which while I hesitate to call enjoyable, wasn’t too bad. I then had a quick spin on the bike and a quick jog to loosen the legs afterwards 🙂

Open water swimming is just so much more interesting than plodding up and down a pool!

Cheers, Rich

kayak23

Can of full fat coke as soon as you come out should help kill off any bugs you might have swallowed.

That’s often the advice given to people to avoid the ‘Trent-trots’ when kayaking at Nottingham artificial whitewater centre. I’m not so sure it’s not an urban myth/old wives tale. I’ve been ill once after paddling there but then I drink coke a lot anyway.
    🙂

Onzadog
    Free Member

Yeah, don’t know how true it is but I don’t fancy weil’s disease, drinking a can of coke is no great hardship and no one has suggested anything better so I’ll keep the myth alive for now.

ebygomm
    Free Member

Ready for tomorrow geologist?

Just trying to find out what the water temp is like right now but should be a good day for it.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Open water swimming taking a hold on me.’ is closed to new replies.