Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Open University degrees – anyone done one?
  • munkster
    Free Member

Idly considering an OU maths degree (will be anything but an idle endeavour if I did I’m sure) to add to my existing (numerate) one that is now about *gulp* 20 years old… Anyone here done one? Would be interested to hear. You may assume I have met the entry requirements 😉

Northwind

I haven’t but 1 of my boss’s 4 degrees is from OU. Considering they’re our competitors (we’re a bricks-and-mortar uni but we do distance learning and remote learning) he’s very complimentary 😉

munkster
    Free Member

Interestink, ta.

jekkyl

my wife did an OU degree, expensive, time consuming but worth it I reckon.

gwaelod
    Free Member

I did Earth Sciences BSC Hons with them about 10 years ago.

It’s quite demanding, you have to be extremely organised – especially if you have a fulltime job and family. Your wife needs to understand what you will be doing.

I did mine before internet, So I imagine now they have migrated a lot of modules onto online versions…that’s probably good.

Whenever I did a module and it was the 1st time that module had been presented it was a bit disorganized…it obviously took the 1st set of studennts to uncover some snags with it.

Worth it though…but you need to be organised.

munkster
    Free Member

Suspect they’ve had a few people through the maths course, so hopefully that wouldn’t be an issue. Interesting nevertheless…

Taylorplayer
    Free Member

I did it a few years back and was able to pick and choose modules as I went along, I think things have changed recently and you’re expected to decide on your course of study beforehand (I might be wrong on this though!). Prices have definitely gone up.

I’ve got the MST 121 (Using Mathematics) and MS 221 (Exploring Mathematics) course materials which will be getting thrown out soon unless someone wants them…

IA

Curious here – if you’ve a degree from 20 years ago, what’s the appeal of an OU degree now? I’d have thought work experience since would trump the degree? Though I guess a degree as well as the work is gonna be better.

footflaps

I’ve done 2/3 of their Maths degree and 1/6 of their Maths MSc. Then I bought a house and my spare time was devoted to DIY. The BSc Maths is excellent, the course material was of a very high standard and I really enjoyed it. The MSc was much harder and they just gave you a text book and some scrawled notes. No idea what it costs now, but when I was doing it (17 years ago) it was something like £200/year per course.

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Hi Munkster, the wife is doing a youth justice degree with the OU, currently into her 4th year. Its been ok, to start with there were monthly tutorials held locally but these have now stopped and all help/tutorials are now forum based. The marking has not been consistent, her marks have vatied between 60-80%, the appeals procedure is useless/non existent. But it is relatively inexpensive.

munkster
    Free Member

Where are you Mr Taylorplayer purely out of interest? Are we talking a big load of stuff here?

munkster
    Free Member

The website suggests that it’s about £15k for a complete (3 yr equivalent) degree.

*gulp*

Northwind

Cost you £27000 for a standard UG degree from us! Bargain.

footflaps

The website suggests that it’s about £15k for a complete (3 yr equivalent) degree.

I did wonder how the fees thing would affect the OU…..

Taylorplayer
    Free Member

I’m in Kinross.

munkster
    Free Member

Kinross is a bit far 😉

Never mind eh!

chrishc777
    Free Member

Thinking of doing one myself, how do employers value them?

mogrim

I’ve been doing a lot of Coursera courses, and it’s a real eye opener just how hard it can be to keep up on the course while working full time. Given they’re free it might be worth trying one out just to see if you can handle the pace?

footflaps

A 60 point OU course, or two 30s took me 10 hours per week. I did two hours every evening Mon to Fri.

Curious here – if you’ve a degree from 20 years ago, what’s the appeal of an OU degree now?

Sometimes its just fun to learn new things.

I fancied doing a couple of their short science and maths courses. The sort that are aimed at non-mathematicians/scientists. But the cost was prohibitive for what would basically be a hobby.

footflaps

I fancied doing a couple of their short science and maths courses. The sort that are aimed at non-mathematicians/scientists. But the cost was prohibitive for what would basically be a hobby.

That’s basically why I did them, just to stretch my mind a bit.

mogrim

If you’re interested in that kind of thing I’d highly recommend the MOOCs that are springing up all over the place – I’ve linked to Coursera in a previous post, others are available. Depending on the course you’ll definitely be stretching your mind (doing calculus again after 20 years was a shock to the system 🙂 ), and the price is unbeatable.

jag61

mrs g did OU maths degree about 10yrs ago it was very time consuming and quite stressful at deadline times, she met someone quite local on same course and they did a lot of work together. She loved summer schools like being a ‘real’student again. Took 7 years or more to get 2:1. It lead to some problems in getting onto PGCE course cos they had no idea what the course had involved and covered. OU was MUCH more work than her ‘real’degree (another 2:1). Overall excellent.
    Quite a lot of course materials taking up space in garage, West yorks if intrerested

IA

That’s cool – I totally get this. My job basically involves me learning new stuff every day, and making up new stuff when it’s not out there to learn (I work in R&D).

It’s an especially good feeling when a new concept “clicks” and you feel like you just levelled-up your brain 🙂

Garry_Lager

They must be well thought off from a capability POV – anyone who can work in a maths degree, say, around an existing job, or whilst raising kids, must have their shit together at a fundamental level.

Anyone know how the practical courses work for science degrees? Lab sessions are every week in a typical BSc, not sure how that fits in to the OU structure.

gwaelod
    Free Member

my experience is 10years out of date now but it used to be that science courses usually have a week long summer school into which experiments that use bigger kit are packed – ie cocking about with lasers and mass spectrometers.

You do also get kits to do your own experiments at home. – big boxes full of beakers, chemicals, goggles and all sorts.

Some well designed simple experiments using household objects too- I remember measuring the diameter of the moon using a 30cm ruler, a 5p piece and some bluetack

epicsteve
    Free Member

I’ve got an OU degree plus I’ve also done various other OU courses just for interest. I think I only ever went to one tutorial so that wasn’t a factor for me, but the course materials etc. were pretty good I thought.

unknown
    Free Member

Not OU but I’m doing a distance learning masters at the moment and it’s almost all online. Only a couple of months in and it’s hard work but I’m enjoying it. Things have moved on a lot since I was at uni and it’s now really easy to get most of the books and all of the journal articles I need online – no more sifting through piles of photocopies of photocopies only to eventually find the one you need is missing! Forums instead of tutorials mean I’m actually interacting more with other students than I did at “real” uni.

The time committment is quite significant – I’m spending a couple of hours each weeknight and in the runup to deadlines time at weekends as well. Glad I’m doing it but wish I’d started when I was younger and had a bit more time.

bikebouy
    Free Member

My little Sis did a Maths OU degree sometime back now whilst she was bringing up her family, wanted to keep her mind active etc. Whilst she left school with nothing, found she could apply herself to Maths rather well as it happens.. Long story short, each coursework handed in graded in the top .5% of the lot, went on to be part of Cambridge Uni and completed that plus PHD in Applied Math then continued to do a Doctorate in something or other.. Did her PGCE thingy and became a Headmistress and taught Math to “difficult” students in her own time and off Term time, went on to become quite involved in OU and Cambridge Uni Maths curriculum etc.

To say I’m proud of her is an understatement indeed.

Lecturers/coursework/support all excellent, though you do have to apply yourself to it, but if you need weekend refreshers courses they are there and a vast network of people doing the same course(s) to call upon if you have problems…

So, she did rather well out of it, if you have the time, why not???

mimilovell
    Free Member

Yes, it took bloody 4 years. not really worth it, in terms of getting up the career ladder but at least Im now on the same level as other candidates with experience and a degree

fatsimonmk2
    Free Member

Yep did one about 15years ago mech engineering, t’innet was in its infancy so all done the old fashion way they were very good and understanding when I took a year out between year two and three due to splitting up with ex wife.

footflaps

OP if you want

MST204 Mathematical Models and Methods
    M372 Numerical Methods for Differential Equations
    SMT356 Electromagnetism
    M337 Complex Analysis

You can have them for postage……

MST204 was the 60 point 2nd year foundation course. The other three are 30 point 3rd year courses.

I probably have all the exercises and answers as well.

johnw
    Free Member

Hi footflaps, I used to do the OU thirty years ago, tried complex Analysis the old course M332 lost the units did not really get to grips with it now it’s been rewritten and I’m trying again to re-educate myself I’d love to have the new m337 course to study so IF you still have the units and you’re still prepared to give them to someone I’d be grateful and would pay for their postage. Please let me know If you are still prepared to help. Thanks.

IanW
    Free Member

I have three modules (computing/networks/business) which were about £300 each, the price has now quadrupled in England so unless I move the Wales or Scotland thall be it.

footflaps

Hi johnw, yep no problem, they’re just taking up space. Drop me an email (in profile) and I’ll sort of posting them sometime next week after Easter…

NB That was my favourite course (ever), really fascinating subject.

Ben

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Open University degrees – anyone done one?’ is closed to new replies.