Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 118 total)
  • Open letter to the management: Why so much CX stuff in a MTB mag?
  • crotchrocket
    Free Member

Just got home & found my singletrack mag laying on the mat.
    Cool I thinks, after commuting all week (which frankly is dull as dish water, (I wouldn’t wish road riding on someone who mildly vexed me) I can read about some proper rides & see some pics of proper MTBing… But blow me if the darn mag isn’t full of CX!
    It’s one thing for the forum – it’s a place of free (yeah, ok lets ignore the over zealous modding for a minute) speec, but in the mag I pay cash money for??? Now, CX has it’s place, but if I wanted to read about it I’d subscribe to a CX mag – as it is I don’t.
    Couple of my pals had said STW was going to the dogs & TBH I didn’t listen. This latest instalment has me doubting my previous beliefs.

Bad STW: sort yourselves out. Focus on what you should be doing: MTB.
    & not bloody kit comparisons, that is WhatMTB territory.
    Can’t you find something to fill the pages with other than non-MTB related chatter. It’s not as if you even print the thing every month.

Yours,

feeling utterly pissed off & completely short changed.

jam-bo

Dirt keeps reviewing 29’ers too.

Shocking.

Jamie
    Free Member

I remember my first beer….

crotchrocket
    Free Member

And here: for when the mods remove this from THIS forum:
    http://www.sillygrin.co.uk/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4585

bruneep

beer, now he was a character

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

The mods can’t be bought…

RustySpanner

Can’t say it bothers me, tbh.
    Cross is fun.

I’d quite like it if they started including roadie stuff too.
    S’all bikes innit?

trevron73
    Free Member

Baaa,Baa, Baaa All the mags gone CX. I agree, i wanna read ATB bikes,on big hills or big Jumps ? Not Paunchy road bikes and Lycra,dont do it again, do a feature on Retro bikes or something, not another sport.

Kuco

Wow about 18 pages on CX out of 146 and you get wound up like this. I’m looking forward to reading the CX articles 😀

boxelder

Is it an mtb exclusively an mtb mag?
    Singletrack is great fun on a rigid bike with narrow tyres.

iainc

I like reading the ST mag, and as a mug for bike mags I get loads every month, which is no doubt a waste of money, however I do find Cycling Plus and Cycling Active keep my attention longer than MBR and WMB these days

mintimperial

I quite liked it, and I’ve never ridden a CX bike in my life.

firestarter
    Free Member

I’d rather read about cx than big jumps

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Crikey. 😐

geoffj

Top trolling

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Are you Doddy from MBUK?

butcher

The way I see it they’re all bikes for playing around on in the mud. It doesn’t really matter what tag you want to apply to them. I like the fact that ST have no hangups about that. That they can appreciate bikes for what they are, and see where they cross over in their uses.

maxtorque

I like the CX stuff. It reminds me just how much more suitable my 150mm carbon fibre all mountain skills compensator is for off road riding…………. 😉

zippykona

It beats all those articles abiut how to take a picture of your ride. I’m not interested in cameras. As far as I am concerned they are reviewing off road bikes.

Mark

Last December: ST = 116 pages
    December before that = 116 pages

This year 148 pages. 18 featuring cx.

MTB content is higher in this December issue than it has for, well, ever.

JoeG
    Free Member

I have no interest in cyclocross or cyclocross bikes whatsoever. So I would prefer those pages to be used for something else. But I do understand that 100% of the articles in each issue will not appeal to me.

psling
    Free Member

Did you not notice that Singletrack lost its ‘Mountain Bike Magazine’ tag at around about Issue 72?

Besides, Led Zep are on BBC2 at the moment so it’s hardly the time to be worrying about mag content… 8)

MrSmith
    Free Member

If you don’t like the content don’t buy the mag and don’t read it.
    It’s not difficult to do this.
    You could always start your own mag and have total editorial control of the content?

JoeG
    Free Member

I’d be quite happy if ST replaced the cyclocross stuff with Led Zep!!! 😀

Kuco

I’d be quite happy if ST replaced the cyclocross stuff with Led Zep!!

I’d be looking at cancelling my subscription then 😉

JCL
    Free Member

Isn’t Singletrack written by bearded, slightly overweight, mid 40’s, plaid shirt types?

They love cyclocross that lot. Low risk, quirky crap bikes that should have died out when mountain bikes were invented. Cross is the new fixie isn’t it?

Dave
    Free Member

crotchrocket
    29er – uncool
    650b – cool
    CX – cool
    Hybrid – uncool
    Roadies – tepid
    singlespeed – cool
    1×9 – cool
    1×10 – uncool
    1×11 – cool[/i]

Maybe editorial thought it would be cooler than featuring 29ers? ;o)

Drac

Isn’t Singletrack written by bearded, slightly overweight, mid 40’s, plaid shirt types?

Utter rubbish, they don’t have beards.

As an open letter to your self, we’ve never banned anyone for saying they didn’t like an article in the mag. We’ve not even hinted we would ban you so not sure why you thought you needed to mention that on here and on your club forum.

Jamie
    Free Member

If you don’t like the content don’t buy the mag and don’t read it.
    It’s not difficult to do this.
    You could always start your own mag and have total editorial control of the content?

Bit binary, innit? Reader should be able to both buy the mag, yet proffer suggestions for change if they feel it needs it.

….whether the owners have to listen is another matter. I hear they spend most their time lounging around in onesies, and combing each others beards.

coatesy
    Free Member

Try viewing it not as CX, but as 29er’s with drop bars, and hey presto, all mountain bikes again with added 90’s John Tomac credibility.

I bought a magazine called “Men Only” once.
    Imagine how short changed I felt when I saw the pictures inside.

weeble
    Free Member

I ride Singletrack on my CX bike

bullheart
    Free Member

I bought a magazine called “Men Only” once.

Imagine how short changed I felt when I saw the pictures inside.

geetee1972
    Free Member

+1 for the OP. CX is so utterly pointless I can only assume its continued existence is due to the complete lack of imagination on the part of its participants. All of them without exception. CX bikes are the reason we invented MTBs. I mean CX bikes are so utterly ill designed and equipped for the job of riding off road that you’re either riding across a muddy field or your carrying your bike. All a bit pointless really, much like those endurance MTB races like SITS or whatever. Muddy fields in Hampshire were meant for raves not riding bikes.

That said the way that trail centre design is going these days and the way most people ride I can see that a CX bike might well be the best tool for the job. So perhaps it’s prevalence in STW might be an accurate reflection of the readership?

Wookster

18 pages! Awesome Ill be getting a copy! Being back blame the dog do more really good one page articles, drop the camera articles and bivvy stuff and its sorted!

It was the random nature of Singletrack I really liked when I started reading it (II was a late starter issue six or something) it wasn’t so mass produced. But it’s lost that a bit for me now, so I dropped the sub and now bit the mag based on a flick through in the supermarket.

Its better than the other mags though, I’m never going to jump off a five foot drop, and if I was I’ll look at the same magazine from the year before!

Wookster

GT, that’s a bit like saying the Olympic XC course is what xc riding is like or we all ride like the guys in Seasons or the red bull rampage!! Racing is different to riding trails, CX opens the door to trails that would be dull on a 150 mm bike or even my 100f/S but Ive ridden MTB trails on it and although slower I e had a good time isn’t that the point!

aidanoggy
    Free Member

I enjoyed the CX content, firstly it’s bikes, secondly there’s articles about nutters on bikes hurting themselves and having great fun bouncing themselves off scenic parts of the countryside in adverse weather conditions , so what’s not to like? 🙂
    Maybe the OP needs to be just a little more open minded, he might enjoy life more! 😈

ahwiles
    Free Member

Baaa,Baa, Baaa All the mags gone CX. I agree, i wanna read ATB bikes,on big hills or big Jumps ? Not Paunchy road bikes and Lycra,dont do it again, do a feature on Retro bikes or something, not another sport.

now that, is a brilliant idea.

i think it would be ace if singletrack had one article every month about a totally different sport, i’d love to read/see about something interesting that’s happened in the paragliding world cup, or the lawnmower racing, or a climbing expedition to Greenland, or whatever.

the articles wouldn’t even have to be bang-up-the-minute-fresh-hot, they could probably buy them cheap from other magazines…

but if they do this, it was my idea, and i want a free T-shirt 🙂

crazy-legs

If I could only have one bike, it’d be a CX.

As it is, I have CX, MTB, road even (whisper) a track bike. It’s all bikes, it’s all good reading. Personally I thought this issue was one of the best ever – some lovely photography and a good mix of articles.

julianwilson
    Free Member

weeble – Member

I ride Singletrack on my CX bike

…and I ‘race’ cx on my mountain bike too. Yay! 😀

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 118 total)

The topic ‘Open letter to the management: Why so much CX stuff in a MTB mag?’ is closed to new replies.