Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 118 total)
  • Open letter to the management: Why so much CX stuff in a MTB mag?
  • porter_jamie

well, the article has kind of made me want a CX bike.

rOcKeTdOg

over zealous modding

removing the idiots and their moronic posts designed just to troll and draw attention to themselves you mean?

sefton
    Free Member

until last month I hadn’t bought ST for around 6 months as I got fed up with them describing the trails and weather. however I enjoined the last issue and I was very disappointed when the new issue wasn’t in smiths yesterday!

can wait to read it (mainly as it will feature cx racing and the 3peaks)!!!

bet you where one of ‘them’ who slagged off the olympic xc course before the event too?

Harry_the_Spider

Yeah OP! You tell it to The Man! teh CX is bobbins.

Oh… hang on.

Oooh look MTB, CX and a Fat Bike all playing nicely together.

I wouldn’t mind a bit of cx or road stuff appearing every now and again actually.

psling
    Free Member

ahwiles – Member

but if they do this, it was my idea, and i want a free T-shirt

They used to do something similar, called ‘Fish out of Water’ or somesuch. I used to enjoy that one but it wasn’t the most popular article. I’d enjoy the occasional MTB Journo doing some bouldering/scrambling/wild swimming/kayaking/coasteering/white water canoeing/quad biking/crochet classes/bmx/chainless downhill/hang gliding/whatever. We all enjoy a new challenge now and again don’t we? 8)

ampthill

I expcet the mag to have a bit of a theme each time and it being CX is within what I would expect. Sometimes I like the theme some times I don’t. But I like the madazine

But I have to say I’m a bit anti CX at the moment. Not CX bikes for CX racing but CX bikes as the latest must have

I think i have 3 problems with all this. Yes they are my problems, not real world problems.

Firstly I think the word touring has become so untrendy that the world now walks round it inlarge cirles. Hence we have Bike Packing and Bivi Biking. You mean touring don’t you, possibley off road touring, but touring

Secondly we have the cx bike as the versatile road bike that you can spin off down a lane etc. Well thats what touring bikes always have been, but we wouldn’t want a bike with that deeply un trendy word. The Croix de fer has rack mounts. In what universe would some one want a rack on a bike they are going to run with up a muddy hill. Its a cx capable touring bike

Thirdly no one will ever admit that the solution to the less challenging off road ride or part on road part off road ride could envolve flat handle bars. No one would dare put flat bars on a CX bike or or 38 mm tyres on the 29 er as then they would be riding a hybrid. Which is the least trendy thing in cyling.

Exit rant mode

NormalMan

I agree with many of ampthill’s comments.

I enjoy the mag and have no problem with the cx ‘supplement’.

I liked Tom’s bike build article and the ride in Fife on cx bikes in particular. There is some level of familiarity of the (perhaps perceived) unsuitability of the cx bike off-road and many an early mtb.

I actually quite like the idea of one as a winter bike but the hassle of selling my Allez road bike and then perhaps my Kona ht, which would both basically become redundant, puts me off.

That said, I do agree that the drop bars would make for a challenge on certain parts of my local riding too but wouldn’t think of flat bars on it so I guess image plays a part over function as mentioned in the previous post.

Seeing Cycling Plus also push the cx bike this month did undermine things slightly though and I can see why, to some, it can all feel a bit marketing driven.

All in all though, I applaud ST for the varied articles in the mag.

jameso

Seeing Cycling Plus also push the cx bike this month did undermine things slightly though and I can see why, to some, it can all feel a bit marketing driven.

Mags always feature CX bikes in early winter/CX season?
    I like CX bikes. Not so much the all-out race ones, more the ‘do some country lane miles and see where that bridleway ends up and even find fun new trails sometimes’ kind. CX is just a wide-ranging tag now, like MTB covers rigid 29ers and DH bikes.

crazy-legs

But I have to say I’m a bit anti CX at the moment. Not CX bikes for CX racing but CX bikes as the latest must have

I’ve had a CX bike for 7 years (and been using it for exactly the sort of “touring/commuting/off-road-capable allrounder” that you describe). I’m SUCH a trendsetter. 🙂

NormalMan

@ Jameso
    I appreciate that. I think it was more the ‘2 guys on cx bikes do a ride often where mtb’s are used’ article rather than group tests I meant.

I have no problem with them, as I said I like the idea, the Genesis CDF in the front cover caught my eye. Even a similar colour to my 1990 Fisher mtb!

saxabar
    Free Member

An interesting foray but hopefully not a regular feature.

mojo5pro
    Free Member

What is CX exactly?

Jamie
    Free Member

What is CX exactly?

jameso

I appreciate that. I think it was more the ‘2 guys on cx bikes do a ride often where mtb’s are used’ article rather than group tests I meant.

Ah ok. I’ve done that though, gone out on MTB group rides on easier trails on my CX bike. Goof fun. imo better that kind of article than group tests or CX racing / niche event features..

They’ll never keep us all happy will they )

MrAgreeable

Comments like “CX bikes are crap for riding off road” demonstrate exactly why magazine should have more coverage of them.

glupton1976
    Free Member

On some “MTB” trails, like a great proportion of the ones you get at trails centres a CX bike is the faster option.

flippinheckler
    Free Member

I don’t have any problem with CX being in the mag I think the guys & gals that do CX deserve respect as I wouldnt fancy riding around a very muddy slippery field on a bike with drop handlebars, scary enough on the road 😯

firestarter
    Free Member

Ampthill I’ve done dalby red on cx and have 40mm tyres on the 29er does this mean I’m a bad person :'(

dave_h
    Free Member

Last December: ST = 116 pages
    December before that = 116 pages

This year 148 pages. 18 featuring cx.

MTB content is higher in this December issue than it has for, well, ever.

Is that 32 extra pages of articles or 32 extra pages of adverts. One is cool and makes for better value, the other is a necessity.

Haven’t read the mag for a few years so genuinely don’t know the answer.

headfirst
    Free Member

I’m with ampthill, a good old steel tourer does everything your non-racing cx bike will do and more but you won’t be “bang on trend” riding it which is the crucial difference for too many folk.

Similarly bikepacking with frame bags and bits strapped to your handlebars is apparently the shizzle, compared to having a rack on my “rigid hardtail dropbarred steed” aka. my surly disc trucker tourer.

cinnamon_girl

I think it’s good to have ones eyes opened to all different forms of cycling.

So, yes, I am very much enjoying the latest issue. 8)

DoctorRad
    Free Member

@ampthill – generally agree with what you’re saying.

Had a lot of fun on my ‘cross bike in my Calderdale days, but they’re not quick descenders. These days, my back won’t take drops very well, and I want better braking than cantis can offer, so I’m building it up with swept back flat bars and V-brakes.

I give you: The Cybrid. It IS the new niche.

jezandu
    Free Member

Actually knowing that makes me want to go out and buy it! There are no CX specific mags out there anyway so its good to see a bit of variety from the usual articles.

Dirt magazine also recently had a feature on cx racing and as you can imagine that brought some controversy. Still some were open minded enough and enjoyed the article. (and that comes from a bunch of downhillers!)

ampthill

Ampthill I’ve done dalby red on cx and have 40mm tyres on the 29er does this mean I’m a bad person :'(

No it means your a cyclist and I mean that in the best possible way. It means you take the bits off the shelf and end up with what you want. Rather than following fashion

You would go up again in my estimation if your prepared to post

“I find my hybrid ideal for trail centres”

oldgit
    Free Member

Just remembered I can download it 😳

Anyroadup there aren’t any CX mags, and judging by the recent turn out at races CX is quite popular among MTB’ers.

jezandu
    Free Member

It looks fun and I want to try it! I mean look at the Rapha Super X series who doesn’t want foam pits and tequelia shots in their races?

oldgit
    Free Member

Blimey O Reiley had a look and what’s the beef? Some blokes riding off road on crossers. More akin to me and my mates, a bit of MTB and CX. Conversely downhill bores me to death and I wouldn’t buy a mag loaded with it. That said I know shed loads of people love it, so I simply accept it.

mattsccm
    Free Member

I agree. As most CX bikes are not raced they should be called “roughstuff” bikes . Now we could have lots of those in the ag couldn’t we.
    Bagsy the T shirt if its used. 😆

firestarter
    Free Member

Ampthill I probably would but I no longer go to them as I prefer natural stuff these days , plodding along taking in the scenery

boriselbrus
    Free Member

errm, isn’t the Magazine called “Singletrack”? Well I ride singletrack on my CX bike as well as my MTB’s so isn’t it well within the remit of the magazine? Actually it’s a lot more relevant to me than reviews of the latest 160mm travel machine which is pretty irrelevant for most UK riding.

pete68
    Free Member

So 116 pages in the previous two Decembers and 148 now. And how much more are we paying for those extra 32 pages.

birdage

I like my CX bike cause I can have a roll-up while waiting for my mountain biking friends to catch-up, mind you it’s a bit monster, now there’s an idea for an article?

Harry_the_Spider

Oh behave yourself. You can’t compare the latest issue with the one from Christmas 2 years ago. There’s more to it than page numbers.

Poor effort at trolling. 0/10

yunki
    Free Member

EDIT: bah.. should have looked through the thread first.. being unoriginal on a Sunday evening is so gauche.. 😳

maxtorque

I like my MT bike cause i can have a swiss roll while waiting for my cross biking friends to catch up after the downhill bits………. 😉

toxicsoks
    Free Member

Never really considered CX before this months mag but found the articles interesting.
    Can’t see me buying a CX bike , though…………..no, no, really. 😉

Northwind

jezandu – Member

Dirt magazine also recently had a feature on cx racing and as you can imagine that brought some controversy. Still some were open minded enough and enjoyed the article. (and that comes from a bunch of downhillers!)

Thought it was a great article- partly because of the Dirt approach. Flat pedals? Why not. Kneepads? Damn right, we’re expecting to crash our brains out.

Still making my way through STW but it does feel a bit like it’s cross bike articles written for cross bike riders, rather than cross bike articles for mountain bikers and the cross-curious, if that makes any sense?

Karl33to
    Free Member

Even though it doesn’t appeal to me I have no problem with a bit of CX stuff in the mag every now and then.
    But I feel it’s so much closer to road biking than mountain biking that it doesn’t warrant a regular inclusion.

headfirst
    Free Member

mattsccm – Member
    I agree. As most CX bikes are not raced they should be called “roughstuff” bikes . Now we could have lots of those in the ag couldn’t we.
    Bagsy the T shirt if its used.

Here’s hoping your t shirt says “I LOVE ROUGHSTUFF” across the back. 😯 😆

TheDoctor
    Free Member

Soooo, as well as CX bikes and 29ers being essentially the SAME bikes.

Current CX bikes are the also the SAME as MTB’s upto the mid-late 90s, geometry wise etc, thinner tyres admittedly, but how many of us used to thrash around on 1.5 wide mtb tyres?

So what exactly is your problem op, too narrow minded to accept anything that doesn’t fit your preconceptions!

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 118 total)

The topic ‘Open letter to the management: Why so much CX stuff in a MTB mag?’ is closed to new replies.