Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • oooh another "what shoes" thread!!!
  • roper
    Free Member

I am to start training for a mainly off road ultra March. It will be over rocky or hard packed mountains with a little road, maybe 10% tarmac. If it rains like it did last time, it will be sticky clay.

The problem I have is my training will be tarmac as much as rock, and probably wet.Though I can still get the elevation in. The last time I did it in montrail continentals and have used salmon something or others before.

I’ve been looking at

Inov-8 Roclite 312 GTX
    Salomon XA Pro 3D Ultra 2 GTX
    Inov-8 Tailroc
    brooks cascadia

I need a large open toe area, low ish heel, not springy, hard wearing and easily adjustable.

Anyone have experience with the shoes above?

MSP

If its mainly hardpack, I would go for the Salomon’s, but not the gtx version.

If it looks likely to rain, something with more tread, depends how much your going to train on those sorts of conditions, unfortunately one shoe is not suitable for everything.

DezB
    Free Member

I don’t run in them – just walk the dog and ride on flats, but the Salomon XAs are extremely hard wearing. The abuse they’ve had and still would look new (if I cleaned em). NorthFace Hedgehogs lasted half the time.
    I have wide feet and the toe area is perfect.
    No experience of the others.

MSP

ps. what is the actual race? I would like to do some of these types of races, and don’t know where to start.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Got both the inov-8’s on the list.
    The trailroc 245 (and presumably the 235 and 255) has a roomer toe box than the roclite 312 but there’s not a huge difference in it. The rocklite has deeper tread and a sharper edge at the rear, so may have more grip on descents and cambers. I live in a clay area and they are very efficient at collecting clay though. The trailrocs don’t have as much tread and it feels harder wearing than the rocklite. It’s also a lot more flexible, so maybe it might de clog a bit better, but I haven’t tried it mud, I reckon they’re more likely to skate around on mud rather than dig in. Feels like it’s got a lot less heel drop than the 312 though. I only wear the 312 for snow now. Trailrocs feel like they’d last a long time on tarmac.

I need a large open toe area, low ish heel, not springy, hard wearing and easily adjustable.

Vivobarefoot Neo trails tick those boxes, but they are a zero spring option. From now though the winter I’ll mostly used xtalon 190s. Small toe area and wear out quickly, but the only thing that I’ve found that’s reliable on clay.

roper
    Free Member

Thanks for the info.
    I do like the sound of the neo but thought the grip might be a bit too much for the roads. I’m pleased you have said the trailrocs have the toe room. The 235 looks like I could train with it on roads as well as mountains. It is the leader so far, unless anyone else can recommend others? I do like the salomons just fancy something new to try.

MSP
    The race is the Ronda 101. It is 101km (within 24hr) over and around the mountains in Ronda, Spain. It is superbly organised by the Spanish foreign legion, who also run it. Their site wont be up yet but if you need more info let me know.

wwaswas

Pony skin ftw;

Jamie
    Free Member

I would stay away from GTX versions. Water gets in the big hole in the top, and then cannot get out. Plus your feet sweat more.

How about something like the Roclite 295? Sticky sole and nice wide toe box.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Or Saloman SuperCross’s?

MSP

Sounds cool, just the sort of challenge that would enjoy. Although for one horrible moment I read it as the Rhonda 101 *shudders*.

roper
    Free Member

I do like the roclite. I had considered it but thought it might be more of a walking rather than running shoe.The hight top should help with faster descents too.

MSP I found these bits of info if you are interested

The race is quite small but very well organised and has quite large crowd support too. Let me know if you would like more info.
    If you would like more info let me know.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘oooh another "what shoes" thread!!!’ is closed to new replies.