Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Ooh! ooh! A new bike that excites me!
  • cynic-al
    Free Member

OK it’s pure nostalgia, and I’ve ridden superlight steel and prefer carbon, but to me this is the coolest road bike going:

Fat City Cycles Slim Chance

Even this bullshit doesn’t put me off:

Painted ENVE stem option for $280.
    Painted Silca Impero Pump option for $190.

Might start looking on ebay.com for an original…more in keeping with my budget 🙂

Stevet1
    Free Member

I thought True temper stopped doing bike tubing?

zilog6128

If you look at the website it says they’re getting out of the biz.

Looks sweet, mainly due to the colours & pacman style logo; I’ve never heard of the brand before 🙂

Yak

Whoa – there’s a full custom Yo Eddy available too.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Looks sweet, mainly due to the colours & pacman style logo; I’ve never heard of the brand before

Now I feel old.

Stevet1
    Free Member

I’ve never heard of the brand before

:facepalm:

zilog6128

sorry granddads 😀

chestrockwell

Unfortunately the originals will cost near enough the same. Been promising to get o Yo ever since I found retrobike but the prices have gone from expensive to astronomical.

Would love one of the new Yo’s in aqua fade or grello but can’t imagine I will ever have the spare cash to drop that on a hard tail, however lovely.

cp

in fairness, the brand was ‘big’ – as in well known/drooled over – back in the day but I’ve not heard anything from them for years. Assumed he’d shut up shop.

Anyway…

With True Temper sadly exiting the bike business in the near future this could be your last opportunity to own a Slim Chance made out of the finest OX Platinum USA made steel tubing!

Despite this, they don’t have the lust factor for me that they used to have. Maybe it’s the overly curved steel fork which I just don’t like at all. Not sure.

Yak

The new Yo Eddy:

bikebouy
    Free Member

I do love a Fat Chance Yo Eddy, I proudly wore a t-shirt with that character emblazoned on it BITD, whilst riding a Klein Attitude 😆

Whilst this looks nice, it doesn’t really have that “pftzzzaz” to it, well not to me anyway.

ahwiles
    Free Member

The new Yo Eddy:

oh my.

I’ve never heard of the brand before

i’ve got Tshirts older than you.

myfatherwasawolf
    Free Member

Always dreamed of having a Yo Eddy… but that new version is extortionate for what is a basic steel frame. That’s what common sense told me when I ordered one anyway… a couple of weeks to go 🙂

bikebouy
    Free Member

Y’what?

You’ve ordered a YoEddy??!!

Awe, bloody heck, post pics …pwwwwwleeeeeeeeeeessse 😀

newrobdob
    Free Member

It’s well known in Retrobike circles how good the originals are to ride, they are expensive to buy an original because they can be used if you want to and they’ll be good fun.

YoGrant
    Free Member

YoGrant
    Free Member

I have this from 1990 sitting in the garage awaiting a build :0)

johnnystorm

He had shut up shop donkey’s years ago but did a new run of Eddies through kick starter. I was put off a bit by the fact they were being made by someone else for him and there was a survey to ask what features it should have. That felt like missing the point. If chance wasn’t making them or telling us what we should have, so to speak, what was his input seeing as bike have moved on in the last 25 years?

reggiegasket
    Free Member

I saw this too and my reaction was – who’d want a heavy, steel, non-disc road frame? If so then you can find numerous examples on ebay for very little money.

If you just buying it for the stickers then that’s fine. Tuck in.

thetallman
    Free Member

heavy

Certainly overpriced, niche and relying on a certain amount of nostalgia to make any sales, but if it’s OX Platinum tubing, it’s hardly going to be a boat-anchor* 🙂

*I realise you’re probably comparing it to carbon.

chestrockwell

I’d agreed to buy a 1993 harlequin aqua fade Yo Eddy 6 or 7 years ago only to have to back out. They’re going for double the amount now. 😥

From memory the rot set in at Fat Chance when they moved from New York to Cali around 1994, sacking many of the original builders along the way. They bumped along until the late 90’s without really moving with the times until they finally packed in. Pretty sure much of the blame was directed towards Chance’s ex-wife and her control of the business.

Many of the original builders went on to set up Independent Fabrications.

My memory may be off so feel free to correct.

My view of the new ones if that if you don’t ‘get’ Fat Chance you won’t be interested.

bikebouy
    Free Member

YoGrant, that’s a real beauty !!

*swoons.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Glad this got some interest.

For me it was proper rare back in this day, not niche (I HATE niche), just a lovely bike with unique provenance from a super cool company.

Whilst this looks nice, it doesn’t really have that “pftzzzaz” to it, well not to me anyway.

It’s nostalgia, if you weren’t there, you won’t get it.

eggiegasket – Member
    I saw this too and my reaction was – who’d want a heavy, steel, non-disc road frame? If so then you can find numerous examples on ebay for very little mone

You div. It’s easy to see the oversized tubing. Way different. And way lighter.

stuey
    Free Member

YoGrant – beautiful frame (is that a yellow PE lesson marker cone/thingy?)

nickc

It’s nostalgia, if you weren’t there, you won’t get it.

I was there, and they do nothing for me, sorry.

slimjim78
    Free Member

I dig the paint jobs and provenance, if it was a disc frame and $1000 cheaper I’d probably be interested.
    As it stands it’s bordering on mentalist money.

finbar
    Free Member

This is my new lottery win daft dream road bike (well, this and a Nicolai Argon road).

cynic-al
    Free Member

nickc – Member
    I was there, and they do nothing for me, sorry.

No problem!

I didn’t say if you were there, you would get it 🙂

limjim78 – Member
    I dig the paint jobs and provenance, if it was a disc frame and $1000 cheaper I’d probably be interested.
    As it stands it’s bordering on mentalist money

Erm, it’s just over $1K?

Anyway how much is say a Shand?

slimjim78
    Free Member

Erm, it’s just over $1K?

Oh, I saw a price somewhere on the link way north of 2k and gave up.

EDIT*
    Just redid the calc, frame/steel fork/headset/stem = $2,675

finbar
    Free Member

Yeah, the $1k figure is (sadly) just the option to pay a deposit.

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

That new Yo Eddy is a bit meh. No idea why but it doesn’t excite me. The nostalgia’s there and thinking about them and the era makes me smile but it’s a bike that (in its modern form) has lost its appeal for me.

Love a jersey though.

ampthill

I remember seeing a Fat Chance back in the day. Hugely expensive even then. I think it was £700 frame and fork TIG welded. I’d just bought a whole bike fillet brazed in the Uk with the same tubes for less..

njee20
    Free Member

Purely relying on people like Al being drawn in by the nostalgia associated with the name IMO. Overpriced, struggling to see much special (but aside from English I’ve never seen any appeal of steel). If people want to buy one for the aforementioned nostalgia then crack on though.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

ENVE stem looks well out of place, i know the boutique builders love a bit of ENVE but nah, not on that

myfatherwasawolf
    Free Member

Haterz gonna hate – now with all pink hoses and gear cable 8)

Mellor Cross on the way to work…

Top of Jacobs, correct way round.

Hit The North aftermath

beagle
    Free Member

My father….. Think I saw you riding through Bramhall/Hazel Grove a month ago?!!

If so. Loads better in the flesh. Gorgeous bike Sir!

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Ooh! ooh! A new bike that excites me!’ is closed to new replies.