Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • OO Fatty freehub, how long did yours last?
  • lightman
    Free Member

It seems mine after only 7 months (97% road riding with full length mudguards) is nearly dead!
    I am still on the original chain and cassette, ffs!

Ive contacted PX in the hope they send me a replacement, but they want both wheels back for inspection, leaving me without my everyday bike for good knows how long.

I have had loads of bikes over the years, and I have never had to replace a freehub or the bearing in it, on any bike.
    Are the PX freehubs rubbish or did I just get a bad one?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

My Salsa/formula one didn’t last too long on my SS.

Shimano ones lasted me 2 years on average, this was in the days before strava so I’ve o idea what that is in miles. Guestimate 3000miles and a fair amount of mud?

Hope freehubs I used to do the bearings at the same time as the main hub ones.

My Fatty’s upto 450miles in 3 months, no problems with the freehub yet.

IME P-X warrenty isn’t as bad as some people make out, it can be slow but they’ve always sorted it in the end (or given an immediate “that’s not a warranty problem”). So if they’ve asked for it back then assuming they’re paying postage I’d just do that.

Either that or:
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/on-one-fatty-freehub
    or
    http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/HUFATTYFH/on-one-fatty-wheelset-freehub-body

£30 or some faffing to get you back on the bike sooner.

lightman
    Free Member

Thanks for the reply.
    Yeah, I was close to buying their freehub, but I just thought that 7 months use with a brand new bike is just not right.
    The thing that gets me, is that I am still on the original chain/cassette, if anything, I would expect to replace them waaaaaaaay before a freehub or the bearings in it!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I agree entirely, just depends whether the loss of use of the bike for a couple of weeks is worth £30 to you.

JoeG
    Free Member

OP – what failed on yours? Was it the bearings or the pawls?

Do you have the original QR only hubs or the newer ones that are convertible to different axle standards?

lightman
    Free Member

Well, I took it to a bike shop and they replaced the bearings, so it seems okay now.
    The only thing, after taking the cassette off, the freehub has massive gouges out it from the cogs, which are so bad it will likely be needing replaced before these bearings go.
    There were also gouges out it inside where the pawls are, down to really crap sealing I guess.

I have read that some people have tried to put a steel pin on the splines to help save the alloy from any more damage, like AC/Novatech do.
    I think that’ll be my next project as the 13t will soon be spinning freely around the hub if I don’t fix it soon!

I have the newer QR with the convertible axles.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘OO Fatty freehub, how long did yours last?’ is closed to new replies.