Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • On-one Fatty freehub
  • highlandman
    Free Member

Anyone know if this is serviceable, or if it is like their Dog hubs and needs a DMR replacement freehub body? Mine died on a wet snowy return home last night and after thawing myself out, I didn’t feel like heading to the shed to do the dismantling.

hot_fiat

I think it just pulls off the axle, a bit like a hope, so the pawls & springs are serviceable.

JoeG
    Free Member

It depends on what you mean by serviceable.

Removal of the freehub body is easy. Use a cone wrench on the axle spacer and a hex key in the end of the axle. Once that is out of the way, the freehub body is held on with a circlip. Remove the circlip, and the freehub body just pulls off. Pawls and springs are easily replaced; they may be Novatec (I’m not sure, though). There are 4 identical (stainless?) cartridge bearings in the rear hub, 2 in the hub itself and 2 in the freehub. No loose ball bearings like a lot of freehubs.

highlandman
    Free Member

JoeG- thanks for that; I’d just finished dismantling mine before checking here again. Mine is similar to yours but not quite the same- no circlip holding the freehub body in place but the rest is identical.
    The ring spring has broken in half, so that explains the failure. Now to see where to get a spare from !

JoeG
    Free Member

How old is yours? Mine is from the initial batch (over 2 years old).

highlandman
    Free Member

After a good trawl around t’internet, Novatec spares seem to be like hens’ teeth.
    CRC have Spank Spoon pawl & spring kit- anyone know if this is compatible? Sunn Ringle also seems to be the same design, if images are anything to go by.

T666DOM

I’d recommend having a look in the freehub, mine had very little grease in it, all the bearings were smooth but I don’t think the pawls & spring would have lasted long, even without going near a beach.

Removing it is a doddle too.

highlandman
    Free Member

Joe- April 2014. NS spring & pawl kit looking similar too.

ciderinsport
    Free Member

A mate brought a pack of Campag springs from Ribble (I think!)

They work a treat, and didn’t cost much.

I’ll have a quick look…

Edit:

Here you go, this is the beast! I seem to remember he paid about a fiver for a pack of 10!

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/campagnolo/freehub-spring-ec056637?country=GB&currency=GBP&gclid=COLpyYOYl8MCFYLnwgod4UMAcw&gclsrc=aw.ds

JoeG
    Free Member

Novatec is an OEM. I’m sure that they make hubs for lots of brands. Its just a matter of figuring out which ones…

Might be worth a look on the MTBR fatbike forum or the UK fatbike forum if you are a member. I seem to remember that people have been able to find spares, but I don’t remember through what channel.

JoeG
    Free Member

Looks like Sun-Ringle parts will work (post 1356)

http://forums.mtbr.com/fat-bikes/one-fat-bike-frame-730411-55.html

And you can get Novatec parts from Taiwan

http://www.bdopcycling.com/Wheel%20Parts-PAWLS%20and%20SPRING.asp

Mal-ec
    Free Member

Joes got it covered. Bad design for UK conditions, you have to keep it greased and replace the band which corrodes pretty regularly as well as thread locking the non drive side end cap.

theashnav
    Free Member

Yep the Campag ones work fine – I was me who bought a box from Ribble the spring rusts throught as there is little/no grease in them from the factory -they work on Salsa hubs as well 🙂

hypnotoad
    Free Member

Salsa hubs are made by Formula, so maybe Formula springs and pawls would work?

highlandman
    Free Member

Thanks for the help- will try the Campag springs first and see how it goes. Then will remember to re-grease periodically and see how well these last.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘On-one Fatty freehub’ is closed to new replies.