• This topic has 27 replies, 19 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by pb2.
Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Online seller goes into liquidation. is Paypal taking the mick?
  • hora
    Free Member

Ordered a steel bath on the 24th march. Chased for two weeks then received a mail bounce back

‘sorry we’ve gone into liquidation, please contact your card provider’. As I’d paid by paypal I opened a dispute on the 8/4. Today Ive just received this message. I even stated in my email/message to PP email them and youll get the bounce back message so it should be clear cut? I.e quick decision?

“X has responded to the claim you filed against them. We’re reviewing the claim and will carefully consider all the material before making a decision.

We’ll let you know if we require additional information”

Could it be the ‘company’ are saying they are retrading?

Where do I stand? Doubt my bank will be interested?

PP terms state 30days for money back but a decision within 10 (10 days for seller to respond)

lerk
    Free Member

As a PayPal buyer, If the company cant prove they’ve sent the bath you’ll be refunded in 10 days…

hora
    Free Member

So by the 18th April?

Rockhopper
    Free Member

Standard PayPal automatic response. Give it a few days and see what happens.

garage-dweller

Hora
    If it has gone into liquidation then details will be on the companies house website within a few days (assuming it is an entity that is required to be registered with them). You could then give that evidence to PayPal.

You could also do a search on gazettes-online.Co.UK in the insolvency notices section to see if you can find the notice of appointment of liquidator.

hora
    Free Member

Received another email from PP- please respond within 3 days. Go into the account- no messages, button says ‘respond’ click on it and no options to respond. WTF.

mrjmt
    Free Member

Sure you can call PP can’t you? Think i’ve done it in the past, were more helpful than I was expecting.

allthepies
    Free Member

If PP are effectively a creditor of the liquidated company [and unlikely to get the money back] then will they be so “buyer friendly” with refunding Hora ?

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

IIRC (and someone please correct me if I’m wrong) you get zip in the way of legal protection against this kind of thing with paypal. Your financial rights are relating to the transaction to paypal. And as paypal themselves haven’t gone bust…

Credit cards and such are regulated and you have legal recourse to get it back via credit card company.

paypal for small tat on ebay
    credit cards for everything else

best of luck hora

julians
    Free Member

best of luck hora

yep, pay pal are only regulated by themselves, I dont know how they’ll respond to this scenario. As it could be paypal that end up out of pocket on this if they were to refund you the cash. Cant be something they havent faced before though. Be interesting to hear the actual outcome.

I use credit cards as first choice compared to any other payment mechanism.

convert

Surely if you use a credit card as the source of funds for a paypal purchase you get the best of both?

I’m lazy – my heart sinks when I have to type in my card details for the gazillionth type to buy a widget from a random shop so take the paypal route whenever I can. Which probably make me a terrible person, feeding the giant corporation.

njee20
    Free Member

I’m lazy – my heart sinks when I have to type in my card details for the gazillionth type to buy a widget from a random shop so take the paypal route whenever I can. Which probably make me a terrible person, feeding the giant corporation.

Google Chrome remembers your card details, just type in security code. I also do the credit card through PayPal thing though too.

hels
    Free Member

OMG – don’t let Google Chrome remember your card details – are you insane ? (with the utmost respect etc etc)

hels
    Free Member

I would rather type in my card details five million times then let Google have them – what next – post a scan of your passport on Facebook ??

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

We should just be thankful we’ve been saved the “is my bath the wrong size (with photos)” thread that would inevitably have followed a Hora purchase.

Hope all goes to plan on the refund front though and agree with mrjmttry phoning them is probably the best bet

mcj78
    Free Member

If you don’t get any joy through paypal it might be easier trying your card company if you used a credit card. I got stung for tickets (when ebay still listed them) a while back & paypal were next to useless as it was over their time limit for claiming, but as i’d used my credit card for the transaction I was still able to raise a chargeback & got the money back pretty quickly after filling in a couple of forms & emailing all the related correspondence over… the fact the guy claimed (in an email) his house had burned down destroying the tickets & he was waiting on the insurance payout to refund me did the case no harm though…

hora
    Free Member

Well I used a Visa Debit card. Natwest cant claim its not a credit card as my current a/c statement calls it this..

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Surely if you use a credit card as the source of funds for a paypal purchase you get the best of both?

Well I used a Visa Debit card. Natwest cant claim its not a credit card as my current a/c statement calls it this..

This was on the BBC fairly recently in relation to Amazon’s payment system for paying 3rd party sellers, it doesn’t count as a credit card transaction as your card pays Paypal who then fulfill their part of the contract by paying the seller.

So if the seller messes up you’re reliant on Paypal’s (or Amazons) T&C’s, which in the case of Amazon are apparently “Tough dice”.

But…….
    When I raised a paypal dispute with DX over some lights I got the exact same reply you did, then a number of days later (14? 28? 30?) the dispute was closed in my favour as DX never responded. So there’s hope there.

andyl
    Free Member

Pretty sure I get online protection through my Natwest Debit Card

I fail to see how you won’t get your money back eventually though as Paypal state that if the goods are not received then you will get your money back.

Always use paypal through credit card unless it’s a couple of £ or to someone like CRC etc (as then I run up a large CC bill too easily!)

mcj78
    Free Member

^ this, you should be protected via paypal whichever payment method you used (my personal example was very much a grey area), might take a few weeks to resolve fully though.
    j

P-Jay
    Free Member

Visa Debit cards are in no way, shape or form a Credit Card – the mainstay of the protection you get from a credit card stems from the actual credit element of it as the rules state if you buy something on credit, it’s actually the credit company that sells you the item and not the seller (it’s far more complex than that, but that’s the broad strokes).

Any protect they offer is part of their own Ts and Cs, but you should never confuse the two – the “visa” part is simply the way the bank piggybacks their payment clearing system rather than running their own like Maestro and Electron which were expensive to run and they had problems getting retailers to accept them.

As for Hora – my gut feeling is that the money that the Bath people received has now because part of the assets of the liquidated company will go into the the pot with the rest of the assets like any stock – liquidated and shared out between the various creditors on a proportional basis – the big but is whether PP are the creditor or Hora is – this will depend on their terms and conditions – I suspect Hora is protected as PP really sell themselves on protection but I’m not sure.

hora
    Free Member

Hate all this. Spoke to PP on the phone and she thinks it should be ok.

daveh
    Free Member

I got a refund from PayPal when the mobile phone mnvo went under a year or so back. Just had to wait for PayPal to turn the handle on their standard process.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Visa debit isn’t a credit card but unless they’ve changed their T’s&C’s visa extend the same protection to their debit cards as the consumer credit act obliges them to offer on their credit cards. Certainly they did when that big Icelandic ash cloud threatened to cause trouble with my flights some years back as I looked into it before I bought my tickets on one card or another for precisely that reason.

hora
    Free Member

Resolved and refunded. If anyones considering a bathroom online purchase in the nearish future – ask me if their name begins with e.baths. The site is still up and trading yet their sister site states that the company is liquidated. Companies can close and re-open but these are still taking money whilst bankrupt by the look of it.

duckman

Jings; I got a whole suite from them in March…Hope it doesn’t break soon.

hora
    Free Member

If its a name/branded suite (parts) you could always approach the UK Distributor

pb2

debit is debit and credit is credit and never the twain shall meet. Credit cards are covered by the consumer credit act which where your protection comes from. Debit cards by their very nature are not covered by this act and I know only too well having kissed goodbye to £500 almost 25 years ago when I paid a hi-fi shop in Chester for a bit of kit and then the hi-fi shop vanished.

Never use debit cards or paypal for anything of value or anything you might wish to return,credit cards are your only safe option.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Online seller goes into liquidation. is Paypal taking the mick?’ is closed to new replies.