Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • online file storage – need to save stuff before format due to virus
  • martinxyz
    Free Member

Can anyone help here? I have a samsung nc10 netbook thats got some kind of virus that I can’t seem to get shot of. I have downloaded avg free and ran spybot. They have both found trojans and a few other bugs but there still seems to be something lurking that’s draining the system down. on google chrome can view most websites I use but facebook seems to be a bit of a problem when I try and open it. The funny thing is, it opens in aol if I use that. Using chrome,sometimes other websites appear other than the one I clicked on. It seems messed up in many ways.

I thought about running spybot and avg in safe mode but it wont let me run anything in safe mode. I have also found that I cannot restore it to an earlier date as the last date is the date that the infection began. I was thinking of using samsungs recovery solution that still seems to be functioning but to do this I would need to save all my pics (no other important files)

Any idea’s before I go out and buy some kind of storage device?

Thanks folks!

martinxyz
    Free Member

*and please don’t type the letters A,C or M (in that order or any other order)as it doesn’t help ;O)

leffeboy

These are my favourite at the moment
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Seagate-FreeAgent-GoFlex-Ultra-portable-External/dp/B003NE5H2G/ref=sr_1_sc_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1339194514&sr=8-4-spell

Remember there is the microsoft security essentials as well. Has worked for me where AVG hasn’t. You may need to download it using another machine though

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Google Drive?

leffeboy

The trouble is if it’s lots of photos and he’s got internet problems already, an online solution probably isn’t the best way. Buy a big hard drive and he’s got the backup for the future as well

…and remember to set the drive not to autorun when you plug it back in after recovery or you could have to do it all again 🙁

Dancake
    Free Member

My mate had a nasty virus that AVG and Avast wouldn’t touch. Security essentials got it though.

Download first and install offline if you can. Unistall AVG first

sunnrider
    Free Member

Might be worth trying Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and/or Kapersky Anti-rootkit utility TDSSKiller.

Rickos
    Free Member

Dropbox will give you 2gb for free iirc.

chaos

Bitdefender’s Rescue CD is usually my last resort before a full rebuild. Just download the ISO, burn it to CD then boot off it and see what it finds.
    Instructions here:
    http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=16602

(i realise not the answer you were looking for but you don’t want to go backing up the virus only to restore it later on)

Cougar

Plenty of online resources. Dropbox, Sykdrive et al. I use Sugarsync (referral ID available on request for more storage).

Easiest way is just to copy to another computer on your network if you have one.

Want help disinfecting?

CountZero
    martinxyz
    Free Member

Thanks folks. I downloaded malwarebytes and it picked up about 5 trojans. AVG also found stuff along with spybot. Still lurking though! At one point when I was on facebook avg popped up and notified me of around 6 trojans. I dumped them and tried to sort it out but for a few minutes they were popping up as fast as I was deleting them! Only on facebook and no other sites. Using facebook through aol was o.k. but google chrome didn’t want to know about it.

Anyway,I bought a portable storage device for my pics and movies incase I lost them. I have since reinstalled xp and everything is lightning fast again. (like it was 2 years ago!)

The only thing is, the router and windows arent getting along anymore. Something to do with a network key. Its asking for a network key but I cant remember it. Anyone know how I could sort this problem out? Surely it must be fairly easy to sync them back together again.

My phone obviously still connects to the wireless connection but this change to the netbook has me baffled.

Argh!

cheers

Martin.

Cougar

If you’ve never changed it from the default, it might be on a sticker under the router.

Failing that, log in to the router’s admin page and set a different key?

Burts
    Free Member

Another vote here for Microsoft Security Essentials. I’ve found thats dealt with things that AVG and Kasperky have missed and my laptops seem to run better with it.

hugor
    Free Member

I wouldn’t bother trying to eradicate it.
    Massive waste of time and it rarely works. I transfer data to a hard drive, nuke and reinstall.
    It only takes a couple of hours and you can be 100% sure its clean.

Cougar

Does no-one read more than the first post in a thread any more?

martinxyz
    Free Member

Thanks Cougar. I had a look under it and tried a few times with upper and lower case but no joy. I now have a list beside me of about 15 different possible passwords from back then and I managed to fluke it. ‘connected!’ Its taken a while but after starting fresh its all running super sweet. At one point I updated a heap of windows stuff and it ran poor after doing so. Someone mentioned to me that some of the updates might have been more useful to vista,and more of a problem for xp.. I’m not sure at all.

It’s nice to have a fresh xp up and running though. Wish I done this ages ago. Thanks for the hints cougar,it put me on the right track to finding the key!

Cheers all.

Cougar

Groovy.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘online file storage – need to save stuff before format due to virus’ is closed to new replies.