Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Online agreement in principle
  • bikemonkey
    Free Member

My girlfriend and I are looking to buy a house soon. We've looked at a couple and realised that we really need to have an agreement in principle.

We spoke to our bank (Natwest) who told us they'd be able to lend us all the money we wanted, but we didn't get a written agreement in principle. We had a brief discussion about credit history though – I should be fine, had and repaid bank loan with no hassle, have credit card and always pay full balance. My girlfriend had no credit history at all though, so she ot a credit card, bought something and paid it off.

We'd like to apply for an agreement in principle online on HSBCs website, but given that there might be an issue with my girlfriends credit I don't want to be rejected if it will put a negative on her rating.

Shall we forge ahead and apply for an agreement in principle online or go to see someone else? Is the final check only done when you're applying for the mortgage?

ojom
    Free Member

Go and see an advisor,

They have better access to information and product than you do at this stage and will know the best way to go.

bigsi
    Free Member

An advisor can get an AIP from almost any of the lenders they deal with. It won't tie you to anything as its just a credit score similar to when you get a loan etc but it gives you a good idea of what you can borrow up to. It doesn't cost anything and as long as you don't get too many done in a short space of time won't ruin your credit rating.

Always best to get on of these done before offering on a property as most agents will want to know you have one in place before they put the offer forward to the vendor. Don't use the agents advisors as it could compromise your negotiating position if their advisor knows you are able to go higher on a specific property than you want to.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Rejection doesnt put a neg on you as far as I was told, but it will mean you have to wait 3 months before you can apply again. Also an agreement in principle doesnt mean they will ok it finally. As above, go speak to an advisor, they will give you the facts. You don't have to go through them in the end if you choose not to.

bikemonkey
    Free Member

How do you pick a good adviser? I've got several personal recommendations.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Online agreement in principle’ is closed to new replies.