• This topic has 13 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by mboy.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • One step closer to the new frame!
  • mboy
    Free Member

It exists! Well, a 3D CAD mockup of it does (missing a few details still but we’re close)…

VERY excited!!!

Still got some way to go, but it would seem that everything fits. That “tyre” is basically a 29er Hans Dampf plus a few extra mm allround for clearance. More than likely I’d be using a 2.3″ Maxxis most of the time which is around 4-5mm narrower according to my vernier calipers, but it’s nice to know there’s plenty of clearance in there.

Now just to finalise a few more details then get it built… 😀

km79
    Free Member

Funny looking unicycle.

mboy
    Free Member

Funny looking unicycle.

Me earlier…

[video]https://youtu.be/4wCj_fI1KD4[/video]

😉

wiggles
    Free Member

id beef up the drop-outs a bit

mboy
    Free Member

id beef up the drop-outs a bit

Ha yeah, one of the details that still needs finalising hence left off for now.

Wookster

Hmmmmm I think Sky ran those wheels in a Team Time Trial recently and they weren’t much cop mate……

jruk
    Free Member

I really fancy designing my own frame (to see if I can do it as much as anything else). Can anyone recommend a free software package to do it?

z1ppy

Pictures but no figures, this place is going downhill, how will all the armchair experts be able to froth properly?

weeksy

You drew a Parkwood?

letmetalktomark

Perhaps it’s the way you’ve written it or it’s the reference to the smaller tyre but it sounds already like a tyre compromise.

Shirley ( 😉 ) if you are considering a HD you’d want more than a few mm clearance especially as it would be likely run in winter.

May just be how it’s written though*

Who’s building it?

* or how I’m reading it.

chiefgrooveguru

A nice touch on saw on Guerrilla Gravity’s recent frames is a double bend in the seat tube to steepen the actual seat tube angle so the effective seat tube able doesn’t get slacker the longer your legs are. But now I think about it I’m not sure how you’d fit a long dropper post in, so please ignore that!

mboy
    Free Member

I really fancy designing my own frame (to see if I can do it as much as anything else). Can anyone recommend a free software package to do it?

BikeCad is 2D, but very good. That’s what I used initially to check everything. Then gave it to my mate who re-drew it in 3D on Autodesk360 with all the correct tube profiles etc.

Pictures but no figures, this place is going downhill, how will all the armchair experts be able to froth properly?

😆

Perhaps it’s the way you’ve written it or it’s the reference to the smaller tyre but it sounds already like a tyre compromise.

Shirley ( ) if you are considering a HD you’d want more than a few mm clearance especially as it would be likely run in winter.

Probably how I wrote it… The “tyre” in the drawing is 70mm wide and there’s clearance. A Hans Dampf on a 28mm internal rim is 62.5mm to the outside of the knob edges, so it would fit with mud room… Personally I’m not a fan of the Hans Dampf though so won’t be using one (but others may hence designing clearance for one), would likely be using a 2.3″ Maxxis Minion or a Rock Razor (which is actually a couple of mm less across the knobs than a Hans Dampf despite same casing size) as the biggest tyre in there. With no seat or chain stay braces, and a kink in the seat tube, forward tyre clearance is never less than 20mm and no mud traps, so hopefully be a good uk winter trail bike.

Who’s building it?

A ubiquitous man in a shed. 😉

A nice touch on saw on Guerrilla Gravity’s recent frames is a double bend in the seat tube to steepen the actual seat tube angle so the effective seat tube able doesn’t get slacker the longer your legs are. But now I think about it I’m not sure how you’d fit a long dropper post in, so please ignore that!

Yeah longer dropper would scupper that. Also I’m after as clean lines as possible, a small bend near the BB allows that and doesn’t mess up the geometry too much.

Speaking of which… Have designed it to have a 73.5deg effective seat angle at my saddle height. I’ve got relatively long legs and a short torso for my height, and the actual seat angle isn’t that slack at 72deg anyway, so for anyone shorter legged wanting to ride it the effective seat angle would be somewhere nearer 74deg, and anyone taller would likely want the next size up anyway as though the reach is roomy, it’s not as ultra long as many modern in vogue frames (the next size up I’ve designed having an effective seat angle of 73.5deg at a taller saddle height of course, so actual saddle angle is slightly steeper, around 72.2deg or so). I’ll agree that some of the more extreme kinked seat tube designs don’t work for those with freakishly long legs, but done right, they can still work for the 95th percentile most bikes are designed to fit anyway.

Geometry is static, so with a sagged fork, these figures will steepen around a degree or so anyway (based on a 120mm fork).

qwerty
    Free Member

That’s all well and good, but what colour will it be?

mboy
    Free Member

Haha

To be honest, as it’s likely to be a work in progress and a bit of a test mule, so it’ll probably either be rattle can or a cheap powdercoat for now.

Paint is and always has been way down the list of my priorities, but when it gets to a final version it will probably have a very nice paint job…

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘One step closer to the new frame!’ is closed to new replies.