Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • One for the STW fashionistas – CFH et al. Overcoats
  • JonEdwards
    Free Member

Got a bit of Christmas cash left, so I’m looking for a smart overcoat, needs to be greyish/blackish, for wearing over a suit.

Something like a Covert coat or a Crombie would be perfect (I tried on a grey Charles Tyrwhitt Covert this morning, lovely thing but fitted like a sack – it was their “Classic Fit”, no Slim ones in the shop).

I’m a skinny bugger 5’ 10”, 38” chest (If I breathe in and stick it right out!), 30” waist, so I’m after something quite tailored.

I’ve got a budget of an absolute max of £200 (including alterations if necessary), happy to go second hand, so long as the quality is good.

Any suggestions where to look?

Thanks!

torsoinalake
    Free Member

TK Maxx.

Seriously.

ton

I have one for sale……. 😉

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Much though it pains me to recommend them these days, but your fit rather sounds like it would be worth looking at TM Lewin. They do tend to suit the lankier chap.

http://www.tmlewin.co.uk/on/demandware.store/Sites-tmlgbp-Site/en_GB/Search-Show?q=covert

In their sale as well.

ton – Member
    I have one for sale…….

Well, the OP did say he had cash to spare for alterations! 😉

bikebouy
    Free Member

Charlie Thyrwitt for me, I got size smaller which just fits over my suit as the Med was a bit baggy.
    Happy with mine but it’s not the warmest thing on the planet, but then it’s a raincoat not a winter coat.
    Wear it everyday, happy so far.

Jerome
    Free Member

Tk maxx plus one

Cougar

You’re pretty much exactly the same build as me. *watches thread with interest*

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

DO Lewin’s do short sleeved overcoats?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

deadlydarcy – Member
    DO Lewin’s do short sleeved overcoats?

😀

wwaswas

You need a proper overcoat shop;

“Quick! It’s spitting down, bring the stock in!”

Houns
    bikebouy
    Free Member

You can fold the sleeves up/under if thats a problem, mine have a button down for such events (I don’t need it)
    Now’t wrong with Lewins CFH.. 😉

Houns

Hackett (keep an eye on the sale, may reduce some items to within your budget)

http://www.hackett.com/men/shop-by-product/coats-jackets

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

BB, Lewins quality isn’t what it used to be, alas. A shame, as I used to love their stuff.

Hackett’s is well worth a look, I’d agree, especially their more tailored fit, but at the budget above, it’ll be sale only, and even then a bit of a budgetary squeeze.

tarka_the_rotter
    Free Member

A word of warning though – I’ve got a beautiful Stanley Ley Covert Coat with a velvet collar – and although this is perhaps as a result of the rarefied circles I move in – whenever I wear it, people make sarky comments 🙁

footflaps

I find Ted Baker suits the slimmer figure. I have a lovely long wool coat from them.

peterfile
    Free Member

How old are you?

As Houns pointed out, Reiss is great for slim frames and they have a sale on at the moment. I’ve had two Reiss coats over the years, both of which are still in my cupboard because I grew tired of them before they started looking tatty. Much better quality than you’d expect. Neither was more than £200.

Hugo Boss is always worth a look at this time of year. I’ve got HB wool/cashmere one which I picked up in the sale a couple of years ago for not much more than your budget and it’s a lovely coat.

Reiss can be a bit trendy, but they do tend to have at least a couple of “classic” jackets at any one time. Hugo Boss has a few more which are conformist, but still nice.

But, age and how you dress generally will dictate what you’ll get away with for coats. No point getting a slim and modern Reiss if you’re 55 and work in IT and plan on wearing a green suit under it.

But likewise, a boring and oversized coat from the more traditional outlets will be crap if you’re 30 and otherwise well heeled.

EDIT: just had a quick look on Reiss website and nothing looks interesting, but worth checking stores. HB wesbite offers more, but prices are generally cheaper in store by end of this month.

bearnecessities

Funnily enough I was in both Hugo & Reiss yesteday looking at sale offerings on suits & overcoats – both had absolute tosh in.

Then went to my favourite, Hawes & Curtis, where they appear have gone down the road of silly feckers and pretending that their suits RRP @ £500, with one navy offering.

A bit befuddled and desperate I went to H Nics to be told that they had stripped back their ‘smarts’ range as professionals are dressing more casual in last few years; they just had 2 consession stands.

WTF?!

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Hackett? Seriously?

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

peterfile – Member

How old are you?

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Ton – thanks for the kind offer, but having met you, I think I could sell my house and *live* in one of your coats quite comfortably. 😉

I’m 39, currently dress (very)down most of the time, so when I get the chance to go smart, I generally try and make a decent fist of it. An overcoat will only get worn once or twice a year (I wore my suit twice last year), so I want something classic, that may not be high fashion, but will always convey a certain level of style, and also the reason for a tightish budget.

Just spotted that CT do a 36″ chest coat – given the 38 was a bit large all over, I’ll see if I can find a 36 to try!

Thanks all!

ton

😆

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Army Surplus store, go looking for old police overcoats. I’ve one that I got off my grandad with a 1970’s date stamp but my brother found one more recently. Very thick/heavy wool, but I’ve dry-cleaned it every year for the past 10 or so and it still looks new.

Downside is it’s only available in Navy AFAIK.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘One for the STW fashionistas – CFH et al. Overcoats’ is closed to new replies.