Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)
  • One for the Nutritionists
  • IHN

*pokes TSY with a stick covered in gel wrappers* 😈

loum
    Free Member

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

With respect to fruit, presumably we only need to go back 50 years and this was pretty much a seasonal product

Just been thinking about this… people used to make jams and preserves to store fruit for consumption throughout the year.

More generally though, there must be places in the world where fruit grows year round and presumably people have floursihed there?

BruceWee

I’m a registered nutritionist. Many top athletes follow a very similar diet plan to the one that I recommend.

stever
    Free Member

My beef is with the fast-and-loose end of the nutritionist spectrum. Correct, anyone can call themselves an IT Consultant, but I’m not sure it’s that relevant. Nutritionists are not all charlatans and there’s clearly no doubt that food is critical to health, performance, longevity, etc.

There’s a deliberate blurring of the boundaries between academia, scientific rigour and commerce. They’re generally long on assertion, but short on evidence. My best friend’s daughter studied with Professor Patrick Holford at the ‘Institute for Optimum Nutrition’. I wish she hadn’t, but it doesn’t make her a bad person.

Nutritionist is so broad a term, it’s essentially meaningless, the well-meaning man in my local health food shop is a nutritionist. Or a shopkeeper with a lot of tablets to sell. And you still haven’t convinced me Ben Goldacre is a washed up medic.

IanMunro
    Free Member

More generally though, there must be places in the world where fruit grows year round and presumably people have floursihed there?

Indeed, which is why I don’t really want to draw any conclusions, apart from people flourish on a vast variety of different diets.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

apart from people flourish on a vast variety of different diets.

Which is why pies are so good.

I can think of 100’s of fillings from savoury to sweet, just like that.

hilldodger
    Free Member

johnners – Member

..but not like Dietician, which just any old mug off the street can’t call themselves.

Yes, of course anyone can call themselves a dietician – they’d just be lying.
    There have been quite a few cases where highly protected and regulated medical professions, even surgeons, have been “infiltrated” by chancers and apparently it took their collegaues quite a while to “suss them”

hilldodger
    Free Member

IHN – Member
    Okay, so my point stands; if you ask someone with the job title of Nutritionist for advice regarding your diet you have no guarantee that they are suitably qualified to provide that advice. If you ask someone with the (protected) title of Dietician, you do.

You are all so “trusting” that because someone uses a so-called “protected” job title then they are proficient, truthful and reliable – wow, I can now see why so many people get scammed 😆

johnners
    Free Member

You are all so “trusting” that because someone uses a so-called “protected” job title then they are proficient, truthful and reliable – wow, I can now see why so many people get scammed

You’re just sounding desperate now. “Dietician” as a job description means something, “nutritionist” means nothing. Clear enough?

MSP

With respect to fruit, presumably we only need to go back 50 years and this was pretty much a seasonal product.

We are getting taller and stronger with every generation, when man started cooking foods it made proteins easily digestible and allowed accelerated brain development. Basing diet advice on history is pretty dumb.

IHN

We are getting taller and stronger with every generation, when man started cooking foods it made proteins easily digestible and allowed accelerated brain development. Basing diet advice on history is pretty dumb

Comparing the timescales of evolutionary adaptation over millenia and changes in eating habits over 50 years is pretty dumb.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Basing diet advice on history is pretty dumb.

So I take it you’re not a fan of epidemiological evidence?

Cougar

My best friend’s daughter studied with Professor Patrick Holford at the ‘Institute for Optimum Nutrition’. I wish she hadn’t, but it doesn’t make her a bad person.

Ugh. Patrick Holford appears quite highly on my List Of Dangerous Bastards. Somewhere between Mathias Rath and Andrew Wakefield. You have my sympathies.

As an aside, do you know what “Professor” Holford is actually a professor in?

Psychology.

IHN

Am I on the list? It’s been said that I have shifty eyes.

And I’m a Nutritionist 😉

Cougar

No. You’re not dangerous.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Your all dumb. Geddit?

hilldodger
    Free Member

johnners – Member
    “Dietician” as a job description means something, “nutritionist” means nothing. Clear enough?

Nothing means anything without context 😆

Within the context of the NHS, the largest employer in UK of both dieticans and nutritionists, both job titles are clearly defined, as are their respective roles, necessary qualifications and career options.
    As they have been for the last 10 years…..

In November 2002 the British Dietetic Association and The Nutrition Society published jointly “The Employment of Nutritionists in NHS Nutrition and Dietetic Departments – A Professional Development Guidance Document” in order to encourage the employment of more nutritionists to meet a demand that outstripped the supply of registered dietitians. This guidance sets out kinds of roles for nutritionists to work safely within their Statement of Professional Conduct.

http://www.nhscareers.nhs.uk/details/default.aspx?id=840

flange
    Free Member

Your all dumb.

You’r…ahh

Surely the key is just to eat stuff in moderation. If I eat just fruit, and lots of it I end up with the blazing shits. If I eat only peanut butter sandwiches I end up fat and have terrible breath. If I eat only salad I’ll probably start reading the Guardian and grow a beard.

Moderation is key

I am a Nutritionist

somouk
    Free Member

Southern Yeti, it’s not utter shite, how many of our parents drank coke 50 years ago, how long has Red Bull been available??

There are so many sugars in micro meals that are fattening people up. I’m not saying the fruit is bad here, i’m just saying that eating it on top of a ‘typical’ diet is not beneficial.

Just thought I’d throw this in as well…

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/food/article-1349960/5-day-fruit-vegetables-myth-claims-nutrition-expert.html

Five a day: The truth

Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘One for the Nutritionists’ is closed to new replies.