Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • one for sparkies – household lighting problem
  • captain_bastard
    Free Member

this must be something obvious, but has me baffled

i have three uplights, bulb blew in one, replaced with a known good bulb – and that (and only that) light still doesn't work?

still has mains going to it (tested with a magig glowy pen)- wires look to be in place, no fuses blown/triped (but on same fuse as the other two lights anyhow)

something screwy going on! same thing happened with some fluro lights in my kitchen, which still don't work

ideas please

donks
    Free Member

Well have you replaced the bulb with another incase it blew instantly (can happen) if this is fine and you say other lights not working then you need to check the neutrals from the uplight or ones in the kitchen as these may now be disconnected. Turn off all lighting circuits at fuse/MCB and check connections on fittings if you can…otherwise it's a job for your lovable local sparks.

captain_bastard
    Free Member

sorry – should of been clearer, only the one light isn't working.

know it should be an easy fix, but has me stumped?

donks
    Free Member

Re-check the bulb then…

captain_bastard
    Free Member

checked bulb in another fitting – a ok?

stumped

leffeboy

swap a good and bad bulb. If it still doesn't come on then probably the neutral wire has fallen out of the socket. Also switch them back to make sure the bulb didn't just go as mentioned above

captain_bastard
    Free Member

swaped, and re-swaped.

no joy :o(

leffeboy

Do you mean that the working bulb didn't work when swapped but did when it swapped back? Neutral wire probably fallen out of socket or a bit further down the line e.g. at one of the other lights if they are in parallel. So as donks said, either switch it all off and check wires or sparky time

captain_bastard
    Free Member

thanks all, will start checking the wiring tomorrow

ChrisE
    Free Member

Neutral fault

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘one for sparkies – household lighting problem’ is closed to new replies.