Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)
  • One do it all bike, HT?
  • deviant
    Free Member

Haven’t read all the thread but I’ve been on HTs predominantly since 2012….i do have a FS (Trance SX) but have used an On-One 456-evo, Dialled Alpine, On-One 45650b and now a Ragley Piglet with a selection of 140mm-150mm forks for most of my riding.

The thing to remember is that a HT like the above won’t be a lightweight XC whippet but with long forks, slack angles and thin steel tubing it will be comfy and cover big days out really easily.
    I use mine for everything, going for a pootle with the dogs?…grab the HT, going on an uplift day?…grab the HT, going to a trail centre?…grab the HT, in fact I have to make as conscious effort to remember to take the FS anywhere.

That’s not a slight on the FS, it’s a nod towards just how good modern HTs are….i would undoubtedly be faster on an uplift day with the FS but I find myself drawn to the HT time and time again….probably much like the current craze on here for gravel bikes, there are probably better tools for the job but people can’t let go of them, I’m like that with HTs.

Get one, they’re easy to work on, a doddle to ride, cheap, reliable etc….

ratherbeintobago

El Mariachi is pretty good too

I love mine, but it’s a bit shorter travel than the OP was after.

Ben_H

For some reason, I hankered for a long time after having just one bike – as in just one bike to do all my commuting, touring, MTB’ing, road rides and utility duties.

There is at least one of my old threads dedicated to this and I came close to getting a Karate Monkey (older one, with more mounts). I think I was trying to re-live my youth, when I did everything (including JOGLE) on a Cannondale F900 with a Lefty! (Ignoring the fact that I actually had a second bike for most of my life anyway).

In the end, I’m so glad that I’ve gone the other way. I now have an Escapade (flat bar at the moment!), a Soul 275 and a Kinesis 4S Disc. I cycle pretty much every day and it helps a lot to have the right tool for what can be very different jobs. 🙂

lee170
    Free Member

This is a n+1 thread. The road bike is only 6 ish months old and is here to stay, I meant that I want one mtb for all duties, family, trail centres etc etc
    Sorry to confuse people.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I’ve already said it, but a short travel, lightweight hardtail, with “trail” geometry, sounds ideal for what you want; maybe a 29er if you’re tall. I can’t understand why you haven’t bought one yet 😉

harryjan
    Free Member

Does anyone race their Solaris? Looking for a single HT for XC racing/Bikepacking/Winter biking/ I don’t need my full Sus today duties and its very tempting.

harryjan
    Free Member

Does anyone race their Solaris? Looking for a single HT for XC racing/Bikepacking/Winter biking/ I don’t need my full Sus today duties and its very tempting.

whitestone
    Free Member

I did the Kielder 101 last year on mine. Whether you’d call it racing is another matter, I was going as fast as I could 🙄

There is one massive problem with the Solaris: it solves the N+1 itch 😳 Every time I think about a new bike, I look at the Solaris and realise it will do what I’d want the new bike for. I don’t do full on (or anything remotely near) DH but apart from that, it’s good for everything I want from an MTB.

mccraque

I’ve just finished my solaris build…although went chubby with it, as mentioned in another thread on here. Seems great thus far!

jimmy

I have a Cotic Soul 27.5 as my only MTB currently. I sold my FS because I wasn’t enjoying it, intending to buy another at some point but am actually loving the Soul enough not to be fussed about getting a new FS. At 140mm travel, its a wee bit laryer (sp?) than it should be but as a result handles the steeper stuff well. Loves it I does.

NormalMan

harryjan – Member
    Does anyone race their Solaris? Looking for a single HT for XC racing/Bikepacking/Winter biking/ I don’t need my full Sus today duties and its very tempting

Here is a thread I started a fair way back. Thought it would be interesting for you:

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/anyone-used-their-solaris-for-xc-racing-or-endurance-marathon-races

harryjan
    Free Member

@Normal Man

You convinced me……. green Solaris should be turning up Wednesday!

Woop

NormalMan

^ good stuff. Enjoy it.

I’m changing from 100mm to 120mm on mine soon. Coverting the forks, that is.

vondally
    Free Member

Just sold both of these
    Ritchey p 29 ran it in various ways rigid 100mm forks 120 mm forks, just a great bike good on the ups and a better descender than me

Recommended

Or

95 mm Rocky Element with 120 forks real blast of a bike

chipps

There’s a review of just such bikes in the next issue, out next week – Chromag Wideangle, Ritchey Timberwolf and Onza Jackpot… All of them were pretty fun, but I think one came out on top…
    Stay tuned!

dougieb
    Free Member

How about a Titus Fireline, 120mm travel, dropper post – pretty light for XC duties but fun and capable for ragging around UK trail centers

wors

I’ve just ordered a Canyon Grand Canyon to hopefully meet all my needs. If it turns up…

tor5
    Free Member

I’ve read that wide angle review almost daily since the mag landed – very, very tempting!

sillyoldman

Zealous Division. If I had to get rid of all my MTBs bar one, it’s the one I’d keep.

Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘One do it all bike, HT?’ is closed to new replies.