Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • One day to ride in the Caringorms, what's the best technical single track trail?
  • mattnmtns
    Free Member

Hi all,

I have one day to ride in the Caringorms, which is this Thursday. I wish I had time to get back up to the Torridon circuit but I don’t. Seems like there are plenty of trails in the Caringorms to ride though. Looking to ride natural single track, I like technical riding. Rode laggan black a few months ago and had a blast. Cleaned it all but one drop. Views would be great but the trail and ride are what I am really going for.

Initially I was considering Carn Ban Mor, but from what I am reading trail work has been done and it’s not the best riding trail any more. Is that correct? So I am thinking maybe an out and back at Lairig Ghru. Not a huge fan of out and backs. Considering coming in from the top at Creag a’ Chalamain. Looks like there is a huge boulder field to navigate though. I am not opposed to some hike a bike but is it advisable to come in that direction, or am I best just doing an out and back. I’m hiring a FS bike in Pitlochry so realistically I would be hitting the trail a bit before 11 and would need to be off it around 4. So that gives me about 5 hours ride time. On my home trails I can do about 28 miles in 5 hours, that’s with 1 mile of accent and taking breaks getting lost etc.

Am I on the right track or are there some better options?

Thanks in advanced!

scotroutes

The most technical tracks in the area would be at High Burnside, on the west side of the A9 at Aviemore. Just wander into the woods through the housing estate and explore.

fergal
    Free Member

The Carn Etchachan path on Ben Macdui offers one of the best technical descents in the area, the only downside is to get back to Glenmore, there is a bit of a slog, down to the fords of Avon, then a hike over the shoulder of Bynack mor, the descent from there is now sanitised, so don’t expect any payback, large water bars for your travails, worth it for the descent of etchachan though. Time wise you would be cutting it fine, probably nearer 6 hours, if you get your head down, fairweather is a must to get the most out of it, the plateau is pretty inhospitable.
    PS. I just wrote all that, then realised you are looking for something more amenable, if you don’t like hike a bike, I wouldn’t recommend.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Drive to fort William and do the red dh. Brilliant descent, and at about 15 mins a time, 8 runs is 2 hours descending. Bloody tiring, all that descending!.

Edit – not red in the slightest. Pretty techy.

LD
    Free Member

I would do something like this (bit hit and miss in term of finding the best stuff without locals but some good fun stuff).
    Start at Coylumbridge head to Loch an Eilean, round clockwise as close to the water as you can. Turn to Loch Gamhna and quick spin round it then retrace to path heading SE (a wonderful mile or so).
    Forest road to Feshiebridge then Inshriach Forest car park. Up to top of Creag Dubh (445m) and find a singletrack descent. There are a few just a case of pick one and go. More info from Bothy bikes if you want more detail.
    Drop down to Glen Feshie and make way up to Carnachuin, cross river and descend on riverside singletrack. Pick way back to Feshiebridge and then Coylumbridge (road or offroad). If energy levels still good take fire road to Rothiemurchus Lodge then traverse path to Larig Ghru path and blast down. Last tip is to go straight over crossroads when LG joins main cycle loop and follow faint singletrack across moor to river crossing and main road – marked on 1:25000.
    Other tech trails exist (or did a few years ago) above Badaguish. Climb on forest road then follow nose on ST back down.
    Chalamain Gap is a longish carry, fun to get to and ride down from though.

scotroutes

LD – Piemonster and I did most of that on Saturday but there’s nothing I would really classify as “technical trails”.

mattnmtns
    Free Member

Thanks I will take a crack at some maps in a bit.

I’m not opposed to some hike a bike either, nor some slog

Thanks and cheers!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘One day to ride in the Caringorms, what's the best technical single track trail?’ is closed to new replies.