• This topic has 3,406 replies, 193 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by Jamie.
Viewing 40 posts - 1,161 through 1,200 (of 3,407 total)
  • Brazil 2014. The World Cup thread
  • thepurist

Costa Rica and Uruguay to qualify? Bet you could’ve got good odds on that!

Jamie
    Free Member

Robbie Savage is currently losing his shit on the commentary. Very entertaining.

chewkw
    Free Member

thepurist – Member

Costa Rica and Uruguay to qualify? Bet you could’ve got good odds on that!

That will be very good as the Italian are not that impressive at all. :mrgreen:

binners

If Super Mario wants his kiss off the queen he want to try staying onside. Just for the novelty value

theotherjonv

Psycho has a point but clubs won’t release players for junior tournaments unless under duress. And the PL is all powerful in that regard.

Instead, and I say this every 4 years, we need to bite the bullet and write off the Euros in 2 years time as a stepping stone to WC18. Start immediately with a squad of players who will be the ones to carry our hopes in four years time.

We should be good enough to qualify for the Euros anyway, but don’t make that a prerequisite. We need players to learn international football, how to play in games when you can’t dominate, and hopefully learn tournament craft at Euro16 along the way. Trouble is twofold; one that a two year cycle isn’t enough to allow a proper rebuild for these talented youngsters to come through, and second that Roy, who I think IS the right man for the next period, is contracted until the Euros only and hence has no chip in the game to build towards the next world cup, he’ll be measured by the Euros.

Back him with a four year deal, or replace him, but get working to a cycle that is the same cycle as the WC.

rjj
    Free Member

f Super Mario wants his kiss off the queen he want to try staying onside. Just for the novelty value

Ridiculous number of off-sides in this game.

What are the odds of an all Central/South American semi final round?

theotherjonv

Why couldn’t we play this Italy?

Jamie
    Free Member

Toodle-o Eng-gur-land 😥

bloodynora
    Free Member

I reckon England should copy the other home nations by not entering the WC in the first place. Think how much money the fans have saved!

thepurist

So innngerrlernd are definitely out. Means we can get on enjoying what’s been a great world cup so far with none of that “involvement” rubbish.

Jamie
    Free Member

Well played Costa Rica.

Note to Arsene: Get Joel Campbell back for next season.

So innngerrlernd are definitely out. Means we can get on enjoying what’s been a great world cup so far with none of that “involvement” rubbish.

Innit? C’mon Greecermanitayhollacostabrazbelgfranistan!

rjj
    Free Member

Found myself half way through this game not wanting Costa Rica to lose…they seem to deserve it a lot more than England. Positive, committed, organised.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I’m disappointed for England, but I will never tire of seeing Italy losing.

Well played Costa Rica. Hopefully Uruguay will do the same job on the Italians and they’ll have an early exit.

seosamh77
    Free Member

Costa Rica romping it, who’d a thunk it! England beware this mob could pump ye! 😆

MSP

Why couldn’t we play this Italy?

We did, the difference is the way CR have pressed them on the ball and kept the tempo high.

chewkw
    Free Member

Well done Costa Rica! Hurray!

Adiós En-ger-land!

Hopefully, adiós Italy as well.

😆

seosamh77
    Free Member

bloodynora – Member
    I reckon England should copy the other home nations by not entering the WC in the first place. Think how much money the fans have saved!

I’ve often wondered, do you revel in being the dullest member of this board? 😆

cheekymonkey888
    Free Member

goes to show that the england are not value for money .. cant believe the mugs that pay the england players wages . You go costa rica.. now do the lot and show ingerland how to play

fr0sty125
    Free Member

That went well

thepurist

. cant believe the mugs that pay the england players wages

Fwiw I thought the international match fees were pretty low and that at least some of the players gave them to charity. The 100ks a week is thanks to pay tv subscribers paying to watch league matches.

cheekymonkey888
    Free Member

thought englands 2010 world cup was anonymous except the goal that crossed the line.. I cant believe that this one tops that.

Poor poor show … although this world cup has actually been quite entertaining..

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Quantify want? Easy 2-0

Why do you get so tetchy about it DD? The different levels of desire, mental strength and want are blindingly obvious. Insult to the losers? Perhaps. But they deserve what they get.

At least we can enjoy the footie now without the inflated national expectations. Great WC so far with brilliant goals – the objective of the game I believe.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

For the fourth time thm…do give over…you’re just getting painful now. I’d rather just talk about the footie. Take your petty shite to a religion thread or something. Thanks.

Junkyard
    Free Member

DD may I interject here and criticise him that way the points get made and we dont have to endure a reply for when i comment I only troll him and he wont feed me
    I think we can call that a 2- 0 win

THM just let people discuss the football. you did this on the Ashes thread as well where you criticised the attitude of England and got everyone backs up.
    Just chill will you and stop doing that think you do for just one thread eh.

Chris waddle on 5 live for those who want to hear

Just heard his saying England have all the set up and players to win then deconstruct his own argument by explaining how every player and every position the team are lacking.

donks
    Free Member

You know I’m kind of relieved we’re out now I can go back to just enjoying the World Cup.
    Germany for the win I reckon.

chewkw
    Free Member

donks – Member

You know I’m kind of relieved we’re out now I can go back to just enjoying the World Cup.
    Germany for the win I reckon.

Or Holland or Costa Rica … the rest shite. :mrgreen:

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Blimey, sore losers. Yes, dd this is a footie thread and we were discussing among other things why MY national team lost/keep losing. Just because YOU don’t like one of the reasons, doesn’t make it either shite or any less valid.

For those who want England to do better! you have to understand the reasons why we fail so regularly first. Misdiagnose that and you won’t get the correct answer.

Anyway back to the quality football with the mentally strong players.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

I’m disappointed that England are 5hit.

Will still watch and enjoy the World Cup.

Rooney – Man Utd should sell him and buy Robbin!

slackalice
    Free Member

As Thierry Henri said the other day, after the Italy game, England have to improve when they don’t have the ball.

I couldn’t agree more. Gave Italy far too much time and respect in midfield and allowed them to play their game. Similar with Uruguay, not quick enough or tight enough to the opposition. As for any of them, bar one or two moments, the lack of movement to find space was at best minimal and rather embarrassing for a team of professionals. Almost as though none of them actually wanted to have the ball for too long, except for Sterling in the first game. Too many sideways and backwards passes, back and forth. The back four must have completed more passes than is healthy.

As per, England’s performance was pathetic, which really surprises me as the way a couple of teams have played in the PL this last season, and with so many of one of those teams’ players in the squad, I was hoping quick, aggressive attacking style of play might have rubbed off a bit as a good idea.

Problem with that is, Roy Hodgkinson doesn’t understand that way and so struggles with it, which is why he’s always been happy with a draw.

Apart from that, so far the most of the games have been great entertainment and hope it continues. And on the plus side, at least the Liverpool squad can get a longer rest 😉

molgrips
    Free Member

My second team is USA but they won’t go all the way. I think I’ll back Netherlands for the trophy.

goes to show that the england are not value for money .. cant believe the mugs that pay the england players wages

But clubs don’t buy them for their national team performances, obviously.

MSP

As per, England’s performance was pathetic, which really surprises me as the way a couple of teams have played in the PL this last season, and with so many of one of those teams’ players in the squad, I was hoping quick, aggressive attacking style of play might have rubbed off a bit as a good idea.

I thought that was a problem at times, the Liverpool players were looking for each other too often when other channels were open. I think it is somewhat an exaggeration to call the English performance pathetic. But I don’t think they quite click as a team.

But in general, the teams that have done well, have played very similar to the way Liverpool, Everton and Southampton did in the PL. It isn’t just England that haven’t coped well against that, Italy have struggled today, and Spain are also gone. There are a few teams that are going to have to have a long look at their style of play and how they adapt for upcoming tournaments.

Junkyard
    Free Member

No alice they are mentally weak THM just said so
    Its not that they are just not good enough, it is not that they are not word class as a team or individually they are just mentally weak and need to MTFU. Please stop the misdiagnosis as it is not helping.

Now I for one feel certain having the fans back them like THM has is a big help, mentally, for the players.

wanmankylung
    Free Member

Just show how much you know about this tournament. The whole shebang including the qualifiers is know as the world cup. The thing that is on this month is the world cup finals.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

There are a few teams that are going to have to have a long look at their style of play and how they adapt for upcoming tournaments

Let’s hope so, the new style is great to watch. More dynamic and more goals. Just what the punter asks for.

slackalice
    Free Member

No, they were pathetic and I cite their inability to read the game and to create space and opportunities, along with their lack of movement, both on and off the ball, as unequivocal evidence.

In true STW fashion, I have skim read all previous posts from today and clearly missed the poor mental attitude comment, although Steven Gerrard always looks so worried.

dannyh
    Free Member

England. Played for, and got.

They cruelly raised my hopes with a plucky (but ultimately futile) display against Italy, but yesterday was painful.

Did Gerard actually break into a run at any point? Henderson went totally AWOL. Rooney’s first touch has now moved beyond tragic into embarassing. Not a single England player could walk off last night with their head up, maybe excepting Hart. It’s no wonder he looks worked up all the time having to play behind that shower of shit. Sterling can take something away from this World Cup finals, but otherwise I am struggling to see any positives.

I absolutely loathe Suarez, but you can’t argue with his footballing ability. He gets the job done, simple as.

Junkyard
    Free Member

See DD reply free critiques of THM

Anyway back to the football

Cagey so far but Th French will surely win this wont they

EDIT: scored as I posted
    EDIT 2 : scored as I posted

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Bloody hell.

I missed the incident that led to the defender going off with a slightly wrecked looking left side of his face. What happened?

Jamie
    Free Member

Did I mention that France were going to win the WC?

chewkw
    Free Member

Jamie – Freeloader! But we still like him

Did I mention that France were going to win the WC?

They better not. 😡

Viewing 40 posts - 1,161 through 1,200 (of 3,407 total)

The topic ‘Brazil 2014. The World Cup thread’ is closed to new replies.