Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • on one whippet and direct mount
  • fisherboy
    Free Member

i’m seriously considering a whippet frame to upgrade my current xc setup. the recent photos were an inspiration. however i notice the frame uses a direct mount for the front mech.This is something new to me. as i understand it direct mount is mainly designed ?? for 10 speed set ups. although i would love to upgrade to 10 speed at the same time the reality is will swap over my existing 3*9 set up.

Now the question is, can this be done.

i’ve done an internet search and 9 speed direct mount front mechs are available although the main bulk dealers don’t seem to stock them. mostly only 10 speed ones. but will the frame handle a conventional 3 ring crankset. anyone got a whippet frame with this set up running. or can i get a 10 speed front mech and use this on a 9 speed. Thanks

MussEd
    Free Member

Sorry for hijack but I bought this Shimano front mech a while ago in error . Brand new unused SLX M661D Direct Fit – Dual Pull, Conventional Swing, Triple. £15 posted – would that do you?

The-milkybar-kid
    Free Member

Hi i have the carbon 29er with the same bit & used a slx 10sp mech with 9sp stuff & was fine for the 2 rides i used it for,the mech is now for sale as i have got a xtr one now its mint £12 posted.

Jason
    Free Member

I am just building one up at the moment with a 3×9 drivetrain. I have fitted a XT direct mount 9spd front mech. I haven’t had chance to get the gears fully set up yet, but it seems to work fine.

It does need a small shim (1mm washer) between the mech and the frame to make it work – On-One have just updated their website with some info on this.

The only other issue was the granny ring was very close to the BB shell with 1 or 2mm clearance, so I filed of a small amount of the granny ring to improve the clearance there.

dharmstrong
    Free Member

On-one only offer 3×9 and (I think) one option of 2×9 on the pre-built examples and I don’t think offer a 10 speed setup at the moment.

Can take some photos when mine arrives (hopefully) tomorrow if that would be of help?

fisherboy
    Free Member

thanks for the info guys. sounds like it does work albeit a tight fit. Jason what edge of the granny ring do you mean ? Dharmstrong, photos wuld be great.

Jason
    Free Member

Sorry, I meant the inside circumference (the part that rotates around the BB shell). It would have been fine as it was, but I took a dremmel to the inside part of the bolt hole on the granny ring to improve the clearance. I hope that makes sense? if not I can post a picture up.

dharmstrong
    Free Member

fisherboy, will take some this afternoon when it arrives.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘on one whippet and direct mount’ is closed to new replies.