Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • On-One Inbred Swap-Out Single Speed?
  • bamford
    Free Member

Is Brant stopping making these, if so, when?
    i heard this on a different forum, whilst looking for inspiration,
    supposedly he’s only doing inbred 29er’s :/

this is the bike i’ve set my eyes on, so it can’t disappear yet!

does anybody know the complete build weight?

thomthumb
    Free Member

i think he said he’s going to stop swapouts on steel frames. in the spring.

it was on the scandal thread on here….

brant
    Free Member

steel frames will now consist of:-

frames with vertical dropouts
    frames with slot dropouts with gear hangers and gear routing guides
    singlespeed only frames with only brake cable guides and no gear hanger

we are planning a “higher end” steel 29 and 26 frame (two models) with funky head tube, swap outs etc… but for the base model steel frames, no swap outs. too expensive and complex.

the high end frame only came about as i had dinner with our steel builder who looked mortified i was abandoning the project after he had invested $$$ in tooling!

kinda

brant
    Free Member

oh yes. and gear cables are going back to enclosed, and not under bb.

bamford
    Free Member

word from the man himself 😀
    so much more helpful than other forum’s!

cheers 😀

IanW
    Free Member

Ive been riding a slot dropout scandal for a year now and cant see why you need the complexity of sliding dropout. It runs gears perfectly , removing the wheels a doddle. It runs singlespeed with enough movement for 15,17 and 19 tooth sprocket on the same chain. Only down side is a need to adjust the caliper for a different set up, hardly the end of the world.
    I really think sliding dropouts should be the norm.

Only request would be removable gear guides, guides for full length outers as fitted are better for the uk and if I could take the gears off without removing the outers and inners even better. Small request though really.

Cheers Brant and Co probably the best bike Ive owned ( and theres been a few ). 🙂

Clink

we are planning a “higher end” steel 29 and 26 frame (two models) with funky head tube, swap outs etc… but for the base model steel frames, no swap outs. too expensive and complex.

the high end frame only came about as i had dinner with our steel builder who looked mortified i was abandoning the project after he had invested $$$ in tooling!

Woop! 😀

jonba
    Free Member

brant – Member
    oh yes. and gear cables are going back to enclosed, and not under bb.

Does that mean full loop so you have to gut your brake hoses and thread them through. Got them on mine and it a right pain. Much prefer the cable tie sort or better still the bolt on ones like you used on Ragleys.

triple_s

Brant, are the new “higher end” steel 29ers going to have the any geometry changes?

brant
    Free Member

Brant, are the new “higher end” steel 29ers going to have the any geometry changes?

i am knocking 1deg off the 29ers in the larger sizes and also making the alloy ones compatible with the slackset for further adjustment

brant
    Free Member

Does that mean full loop so you have to gut your brake hoses and thread them through. Got them on mine and it a right pain. Much prefer the cable tie sort or better still the bolt on ones like you used on Ragleys.

they will be zip tie ones

Clink

i am knocking 1deg off the 29ers in the larger sizes and also making the alloy ones compatible with the slackset for further adjustment

Brill – any chance of shortening chainstay a tad? About 16.9″ would be spot on with that ha…

brant
    Free Member

Chainstays are 444mm but that’s to mid position on the slot frames. So in theory pushed forward will be shorter.

Clink

From my web reading(ie no real knowledge!!) my take on 29er geo is this.

Older frames with longer chainstays still work well as steep ha makes them turn quickly. Most of the newer 29ers with slacker ha have shorter chainstays – this offsets the slower response up front and still makes them nippy through the turns (having ridden a Canfield this seems to makes sense).

So if ha is being slackened, but chainstays stay the same, surely it will be slow in tighter stuff?

triple_s

I’ve got a Works Components angleset on my ti29er and I’m not totally convinced its any better than before…might swap back sometime and see how it feels without.

Think my next bike is going to be a Genesis Fortitude, 69.5 HA and 430mm chainstays. But going to run my Singular Hummingbird fork with 55mm offset instead of the Genesis fork which only has 40mm offset.

flashes
    Free Member

I totally agree with IanW.

I have one of the old slot v brake only frames. I’ve had “a few” other bikes but that’s still my favourite………….

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘On-One Inbred Swap-Out Single Speed?’ is closed to new replies.