Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 122 total)
  • On-one got a slagging in my LBS!
  • JasonLock
    Free Member

Hi rOcKeTdOg, sorry if you have got the wrong end of the stick, I listed what riding I have done in the past to show that I have experiance of riding a bike, the one thing we do try to do at the shop is to encourage newbies to get into cycling, in the past I have lent out my own personal lights and bikes so people can have a go before spending a lot of money, I am an employee of the shop and any riding in the evenings is done in my own time and at my own expense, I felt it was only right to put a post up to reply as the shop and myself had been mentioned earlier and I thought it best to put up a response esecially given that one member had commented “LBS in slagging off product they dont sell shocker.”

rOcKeTdOg

fair enough, it’s always difficult to put across what you mean when you are just typing, hard to tell if it’s tongue in cheek or not and lots of people will read what they want to read rather than what’s actually written ( jusst a bit of advice as you’re new here 😉 )

colnagokid

brant do you know if they do those filters for “8 cans of kronenbourg ” 😳

Guilliano
    Free Member

Playing devil’s advocate here…. to me it seemed like the experience of a person working on one frame meant that the brand got slated as a whole. If Jason had said “having worked on many On-Ones I have found that facing the disk mounts is a nightmare” there wouldn’t have been the “Burn the heretic!” reaction.

nukeproof
    Free Member

@JasonLock : So, as per my previous question, have you ridden an On-One?

JasonLock
    Free Member

Good point Gulliano, I think the essence of the original conversation was about many different brands and on-one was more dis-missed by my colleage as apposed to being slagged off and other brands in his honest opinion was better suited to that individuals needs. The problem is the original tread is titled – On-one got a slagging in my LBS! – instead of – LBS gave me some advise on steel framed bikes! Then shortly followed by “LBS in slagging off product they dont sell shocker.” Not a good advert for the shop which is my means of income to support my family so hence my posts. If anyone is riding at the Clic24 you will see me there (voluntarily) with a spanner in ne hand supporting everyone there riding, as I have had the privilage of riding at many events I am happy to support a local event, why not come and have a beer and see that we doin’t bite?

nukeproof
    Free Member

@JasonLock : So, as per my previous question, have you ridden an On-One?

Mmmmm, I take it nope then. Thought not.

twinklydave

If anyone is riding at the Clic24 you will see me there (voluntarily) with a spanner in ne hand supporting everyone there riding,

even if they’re riding an on one 😉 😆

kidding
    see you there

JasonLock
    Free Member

Hi Nukeproof, no I haven’t but then again I have not slagged them off, to be fair most manufactures do make good bikes now and it’s more down to the components on the frame that makes the biggest difference or even more importantly making sure that someone buys the right type of bike for the riding they do, that’s why my first question is allways ‘where are you going to be riding’ thats why I’m usually advising the general puplic to buy a Hybrid and not a cheap full-susser that’s no good to anyone. I’m a fan of Cannondale’s but I’m sure there not everyones cup of tea.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

[comes out of hiding 😳 ]

Jason,

It seems to be the in thing to knock you LBS on the forums

To be fair, I have no issue with XXX who said these things and doubt that he spoke the truth about yours/his experience. And if I have given that impression that I’m “knocking” Bike City, then I sincerely apologise. I’m not a major customer of yours but the service I have previously received has been fine. I absolutely would not want to put off potential customers by my remarks.

I’ve been on this forum for a while now and am very aware of how these bikes are admired. I started this thread because of the contrast between the generally held view here and what XXX said. I am considering what inexpensive frame to get. Since other owners and Brant post here a lot it seems only fair to get opinions about on-ones. Brant has already responded to the “gimp” issue positively, I wonder if he has any comment on the facing and quality issues you describe?

PS everyone: I get the impression that Jason is new here, SO BE NICE!!!!!

KINGTUT
    Free Member

The guys at Bike City (not City Bikes as per the op) do a sterling job at the Clic24.

Jason, arguing with on-one fanboys is like wrestling with a pig, the pig enjoys the attention and you’ll end up covered in shite.

PS.Can you make sure you have a good supply of mono mini pads at the Clic just in case it’s a mud fest like the other year as I’m soloing.

Ta.

🙂

nukeproof
    Free Member

Jason, arguing with on-one fanboys is like wrestling with a pig, the pig enjoys the attention and you’ll end up covered in shite.

As said, nothing to do with On-One brand, more to do with LBS giving opinions on a frame they’ve never ridden. Still, I don’t want to argue with the Bike City fanboy.

@ jasonlock – So are you going to stock Ragley frames? 😉

brant
    Free Member

are you going to stock Ragley frames?

I think I’d have to go and check ’em out first.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I’m expecting a pay increase, but not much so sorry, the lovely Ragley is waaay outa my range. 🙂

The summer season is very very tempting sounding tho. Especially as it isn’t painted (not that keen on paint).

brant
    Free Member

I wonder if he has any comment on the facing and quality issues you describe?

I can’t understand why they’d have a problem facing a 456 frame (which you were interested in), though a Slot Dropout frame (designed to work with IS to Post Mount adapted brakes) I can imagine might be a bit fiddly, though I’ve never heard of a reported problem with a weld obscuring the disc mount.

but anyhow.

What you might be able to see on the Ragley frames is a CNC’d high spot on the disc mount ensuring flat facing potential.

To my mind, facing should be carried out in the stand, on assembly. not at production. As it’s travelled 13000 miles between production and assembly in most cases.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

As said, nothing to do with On-One brand, more to do with LBS giving opinions on a frame they’ve never ridden. Still, I don’t want to argue with the Bike City fanboy.

Touchy aren’t you, my comment wasn’t aimed at you, FWIW one of my LBS hissed at me when I took an Inbred in to have a headset fitted.

nukeproof
    Free Member

Touchy aren’t you

No, not really and I guess I should have put a 😉 after that sentence but I dislike the idea of people, especially LBSs who people go to advice for, giving opinions on products they have never tried.

-m-
    Free Member

I’ve had to face the disc mount on an on-one and it was not possible to do using the facing tool as the weld was in the way, this is probably the reason the customer was advised not to buy one by my colleague.

Seems this statement could equally apply to the facing tool. Perhaps you could have advised the customer to buy the frame he/she wanted but to visit a shop with a better supply of tools to get the disc mount faced…

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

“One of my LBS hissed at me when I took an Inbred in…”

Hmm, evidence of more LBS tutting. Did they give a specific reason?

rolfharris
    Free Member

Sorry to barge in on all the faff, but I had to comment on this.

In this day and age, LBS’s don’t really know much better than the rest of us (i.e. the buying public are better informed)

Now, I’m sorry, but that is complete and utter rubbish. Do you have the industry insider knowledge that your LBS has? Have you spent years working with bikes, with the importers and the manufacturers or have you heard some stuff on the internet or in a magazine? There is a huge difference. Have you seen the many dozens of ways a front mech can be a pain in the arse first hand? Have you ridden just about every single major bike brand to find out the traits of each, from low end 150 quid bikes for the city to 14lb carbon road racers and 2.5k downhill bikes? Are bikes your entire life, and is your life nothing but bikes?

Also, a good LBS will say, if you ask about it, that they haven’t tried a bike so they can’t comment on it. I know I do. We don’t know everything, but what we do know, we’ll tell you. If we don’t like something, we’ll say. If we do like something, even if we don’t sell it, we’ll still say.

The public, keen as they are, is not more knowledgeable than a good bike shop staff member. I’m sorry, but that’s how it is.

rolfharris
    Free Member

For what it’s worth, I’ve owned an on-one and yes, the ride is wonderful (I love how an Inbred with only a 100mm fork will batter down anything at a million miles an hour feeling stable and controlled leaving you with a big grin at the bottom) but it was heavy for what it was, felt a bit “dead” as far as steel frames go and was somewhat sluggish uphill. Good, but you could find better. Though probably not for that little money.

jam-bo

just a shame that 99% of bike shop staff aren’t at all like your description…

cynic-al
    Free Member

To my mind, facing should be carried out in the stand, on assembly. not at production. As it’s travelled 13000 miles between production and assembly in most cases.

Does steel distort through travel alone?

nukeproof
    Free Member

The public, keen as they are, is not more knowledgeable than a good bike shop staff member.

Yeah but its finding one you can trust…this thread proves that in that an LBS is going an opinion on a frame they never ridden. LBS are still businesses and therefore there not ever going to be completely unbiased. I agree some have a great deal of knowledge but I’d never ‘just’ take the advice of an LBS but use every source possible whether that be internet, mags and even forums.

brant
    Free Member

The modern consumer is equipped with tools more powerful than ever before (particularly IT desk jockeys).
    LBS staff living on beans, low wages, living the dream… Faced with semi ironic northern English direct sales model brand.
    How do you realistically expect them to react ?

brant
    Free Member

Cynic-al. Facing to 0.1mm seems silly 13000 miles from the workstand to me. No?

JasonLock
    Free Member

Hi Nukeproof, without speaking to my colleague I could not comment about weather he has ridden one and as I said before as far as I am aware it was a genuine conversation about steel framed bikes between two individuals I think it just got blown out of all preportion by the headline of the thread and following sensativity to an obviously well loved brand. If you had asked me a question about say what wheels to buy for mtb’ing I would dis-miss shimano in favour of Hope or Mavic which I am a fan from experiance of using the product, I hope (no pun) that you would start a thread ‘LBS advises using Hope or Mavic whatb do you think?’ not ‘LBS Slagging off Shimano wheels shocker!’ Remember it was not myself who was involved in the original conversation nor did I start the post I wasn’t even in the shop at the time, why do you all hate me so much just because I work in an LBS, I feel sooo depressed – only joking – I’m off too bed dude, I’ll let you have the last word I get the impression you would like that?! p.s. Can I continue the thread if I find out my colleage has ridden an on-one please?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Brant, I have no idea what seems silly to you.

Are you telling me disc mounts get bent/displaced/distorted in transit?

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I might expect a balanced viewpoint based on that all-important industry knowledge, pros vs cons.

I was in the shop looking at potential bits to put on the new frame. I got chatting about my intentions and XXX was happy to suggest a few frames but I was thinking about something a bit cheaper. I mentioned a 456 and got some strong negative opinions back and no positives, which surprised me.

Y’know the moment someone takes a single viewpoint any topic*, I start to question if an objective opinion.

*not suggesting I don’t rant mesself a fair bit. BTW does it matter that you’re from the North and how much of that bottle of wine is left? 🙂

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

The problem with boring thread titles is that [yawn] no-one reads or comments on them.

It’s just like selling newspapers really.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Is this storm in a teacup still running?

On ones are cheap mass produced MTB frames. Some folk like them and some don’t.

Jason – I think you are new here – here is todays lesson: If it can be blown out of proportion it will be on STW.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Hmm, evidence of more LBS tutting. Did they give a specific reason?

Yep, they didn’t like Brant.

nukeproof
    Free Member

I’ll let you have the last word I get the impression you would like that?

Yeah, yeah 🙄 hate to disappoint. 😉

I’m not in some rant mode which you seem to believe and its not solely aimed at your LBS (Fair enough if you weren’t in the shop at the time as I do appreciate you can’t speak for your colleagues). Its simply that I’ve had experiences with LBSs in that they think its fine to slate a product when they they haven’t fairly tested them and I think its unprofessional to act in this manner and it gives me an inherent distrust of their advice.

here is todays lesson: If it can be blown out of proportion it will be on STW.

Yeah, just see the ‘Wear a helmet FFS’ thread for a fine example 😉

Nico
    Free Member

It’s not impossible that a bike frame could be a bit heavy, a bit dead, not very accurately aligned, with ugly welds, and difficult to face, while at the same time being a really inspired design.

On that basis you could slag it off for a whole bunch of reasons and yet it could be a great ride at a bargain price. It depends whether you are judging it by the finish or the design.

judderman
    Free Member

The clue is in the name; ON-ONE & INBRED

love you Jas

welcome to the real muppet show 😉

anagallis_arvensis

A brand of whatever gets bad press because the one someone has seen was faulty…. not unusual is it, seems like human nature to me and if the brand wants a better reputation it needs to try harder, if its a budget brand then mistakes happen. We’ve all seen bike reviews that have gone wrong because of a fault on the bike. I wouldnt buy Pace forks cause my mates broke (while litterally just riding along), its human nature and if your ask peoples OPINIONS you get their view. Local bike shops are full of opinions take them with a pinch of salt, get lots of opinions and make your choice.

Oh and On-ones are shite 😉

thomthumb
    Free Member

“rubbish built frames”, “rubbish welds and facing”

have you ridden an On-One?

no I haven’t

I mentioned a 456 and got some strong negative opinions back and no positives, which surprised me.

sounds like a slagging off. thread closed.

chakaping
    Free Member

Well my LBS manager reacted by buying a frame from On One for himself.

Do you think he still would have if he’d read your patronising comments beforehand though?

enfht
    Free Member

I’ve never had the pleasure to ride an On-one but years back I used to be a pill-popping raver so am I allowed an opinion? 😀

JasonLock
    Free Member

nukeproof – Member
    I’ll let you have the last word I get the impression you would like that?

Yeah, yeah hate to disappoint.

I’m not in some rant mode which you seem to believe and its not solely aimed at your LBS (Fair enough if you weren’t in the shop at the time as I do appreciate you can’t speak for your colleagues). Its simply that I’ve had experiences with LBSs in that they think its fine to slate a product when they they haven’t fairly tested them and I think its unprofessional to act in this manner and it gives me an inherent distrust of their advice.

here is todays lesson: If it can be blown out of proportion it will be on STW.

Yeah, just see the ‘Wear a helmet FFS’ thread for a fine example

Morning Nukeproof,

I think the dont knock on-one untill you have tried it should be applied to don’t knock Bike City until you have tried it? Which I think is a fiar comment. p.s. love you Judderman, when you poppingin next?

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 122 total)

The topic ‘On-one got a slagging in my LBS!’ is closed to new replies.