Viewing 22 posts - 41 through 62 (of 62 total)
  • on-one doing carbon frames?
  • Stevoisonone
    Free Member

Good spotting Mr STATOS 🙂 The CARBON 456 is getting "SWAP-OUTS" and are WIP… There are 2x versions SS & Geared(pictured). The Slots should NOT be on the Geared version. The geared version was going to be post mounted, however that does NOT work with SS… The main reason for having CNC machined Swap-outs is to allow for change and "flexible" manufacturing. I am even getting some prices to get these made in small batches in Sheffield. Being small batches we can make them out of ST/ST or Alloy.. Do not worry these WILL be tested. We have a few Carbon things in the Pipeline with a RACE 29er that might get to use Flax/Carbon Technology on some of the models. We have had the nod to use Flax which has better damping properties over just Carbon… Richard Ussher will give these a good hammering.

tracknicko
    Free Member

the non drive ISNT SLIDEY.

think that's your man's point there…

the calliper mount is slotted (so sort of a cheap/crap slidey option) but the axle location is very much fixed.

daveplanetx
    Free Member

dont worry guys the frame isnt in production , (and the drawing on the mailshot does actully has the wrong dropout on!) , the swapout dropouts are working ok on the ti whippet prototype , though the whippet was a bit of a porker weighing in more than a ti 456 !

stevo will post a few detailed pics of the dropout designs on the on-one site in a bit

this is early stage stuff , there a far bit of testing and riding to do yet , end dec we will get the first samples out the mold (18 inch) and there will be plenty of chance for readers to come have a go / test .

if anything doesnt work it shouldnt get to production

tang
    Free Member

go on give us some ballparkish ££figures.

Stevoisonone
    Free Member

ummm.. We have not pictured all versions of the Swap-outs…There are 2 versions 1/ vertical dropout (geared) & 2/horizontal (SS). This is basically a bolt-on version of the Slot-drop out that On-One has used for years. Bolt on allows for "future-proof" and we may even do M12 Bolt through versions for the Carbon 456. All of the carbon frames are getting this bolt-on "swap-out". Basically this allows you to have 2 bikes.. The Carbon 29er will even be able to run SS. We are arranging for 6 bikes to be made up for demo at a location to be revealed on our website news… Pictures of the swap-outs may even go up this afternoon…???

daveplanetx
    Free Member

mmm, yes pricing ,

still trying to get my head round pricing , weve got circa 40k in mold costs to think about , however if we sell 1000 frames its only 25 quid a frame so i think we will almost definitely price these extreneky aggressively , again based on our cost to retail business model and with the realisation we need volume to absorb the mold costs

reminds me of the first product we paid a mold cost on , the planet x twistoid pedal , 8000 usd mold cost and we sold around 300 pairs then fasten the pedal company went pop , think the pedals sold for 25 quid

For the carbon frame pricing , whilst it wont be 299 , it will be way less than the 799 ti pricing we just did on the lynskey frames , really not sure yet , if we decide to try to put the rest of the bike industry (with its multi tier pricing) on the back foot , then it should be very very well priced .

Pricing will also depend on how our USA plans go , were looking at going to a wholly owned direct sell set up in the states , this gives us even more volume (but will drain our cashflow) and if we do this we will go in at ming blowing value .

Finally the last big factor is of course whether sterling heads south against the dollar , were currently holding in the 1.60s but im guessing theres a big move going to come against sterling into the 1.40s , if we had enough balls wed hedge against the dollar and fix the pricing but we never get round to it .

Overall Id say well be aiming at going for the most agressive model and 499 is our target price , and thats based on a dollar rate above the mid 1.55s , if sterling is strong the price could be lower .

tang
    Free Member

now that is good news! best of luck and look forward to seeing some protos.

thepodge
    Free Member

i think everyone just got over their fear of carbon frames… funny how a sticker on the down tube makes all the difference.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

daveplanetx – Member

still trying to get my head round pricing , weve got circa 40k in mold costs to think about , however if we sell 1000 frames its only 25 quid a frame

Errm – £40 000 spread over 1000 frames is £40 per frame is it not?

daveplanetx
    Free Member

i didnt say 40k sterling , i said 40k , its 40k usd , circa 10k per mold

40k usd at exchange rate 1.6 is i reckon circa 25k sterling

guess some are multi lingual , after 20 odd years in the biz i think in multi currency

clubber
    Free Member

So, four moulds. Does that mean a full range of sizes?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Makes sense dave – sort of 😉

br
    Free Member

Gits, I've only just bought my Ti version…

ooOOoo
    Free Member

Ming blowing value? I don't know what that means but I like the sound of it!

Stevoisonone
    Free Member

On-One started 10years ago with SS and the Carbon Frames needed a replaceable drop-out… so why not make 2 versions. SS & Geared. This also means that we have halved our stock holdings and reduced risk. If no one buys a SS Carbon bike it does not matter because it runs gears with conventional vertical drop-outs. Also there is less weight in this set up than going EBB

tang
    Free Member

makes sense. i like the idea of swapping out and as you say have the choice. tabs for a guide/hammerschmi thingy, nice tidy 1×9 carbon 29er…

lookmanohands
    Free Member

Aaaaaarrrrrrrrggggghhhhh stop it! I DO NOT Need another bike 😯

tang
    Free Member

ian, always need a new bike…its the curse.

lookmanohands
    Free Member

Mmm 2 useable bikes in one, perhaps I can run it by the other half that way!

tang
    Free Member

in my case 2 useable bikes 1 unuseable rider (atm). btw leigh has bought the banshee paradox, new forks etc…so much for the sultan being the one, he too is cursed

genesis
    Free Member

Could be the ideal new bike I was thinking of for next year! Was also looking at a PlanetX timetrial bike.

stumpytrek
    Free Member

Can we register interest or preorder for an even better price?

Viewing 22 posts - 41 through 62 (of 62 total)

The topic ‘on-one doing carbon frames?’ is closed to new replies.