Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • On-One Chunky Monkey
  • Clobber
    Free Member

Looks like a nice big front tyre….

Anyone tried one yet?

Stoner
    Free Member

not yet – got put off by “Weights TBA, but if you’re concerned, it’s probably the wrong tyre for you.”

Im such a weenie 🙁

brant
    Free Member

Weenie.

Stoner
    Free Member

bring me On-One square taper BBs for 130g and I shall get a chunky monkey 😉

Clobber
    Free Member

bring me On-One square taper BBs for 130g and I shall get a chunky monkey

WTF?

Clobber
    Free Member

Brant whilst your here… does it clear claggy mud well?

Stoner
    Free Member

I have a thing for the quest for a lightweight square taper BB that doesnt cost £100+

I have my own niche. It’s called Alan.

MrAgreeable

What Stoner said. It’d be great to have more of a choice between £10 boat anchor BBs and Royce blingery.

MrAgreeable

Non-thread hijack post – Shaggy was running a prototype Chunky Monkey on the front of his bike on a filthy night ride the other week, and happily tackling all sorts of slippery off-camber rootiness. So I’d say they’re worth a punt if you want to keep riding slippery technical stuff through the winter.

shaggy

That was 100% down to the tyre, obviously 😉

brant
    Free Member

That’s MY tyre and MY bike.

MrAgreeable

From zero to hero. 😉

shaggy

That’s MY tyre and MY bike.

Aren’t you a roadie now?

brant
    Free Member

Aren’t you a roadie now?

I bought a lovely new helmet yesterday. No peak. Gel pads. Nice bag. It’s awesome.

Clobber
    Free Member

does it clear the clag??

IHN

does it clear the clag??

What, Brant’s helmet? That’s a a bit of personal question.

shaggy

Back on topic I finally got round to setting the Chunky Monkey up tubeless. Tested it on my commute this morning. Going to throw it down some wet rooty trails shortly. I’m liking it a lot though. Big, predictable and a good trade-off between grip and rolling resistance.

shaggy

It clears clag well. It’s a quite widely spaced tread pattern.

ctznsmith
    Free Member

Mine arrived today, do the weenies want to know the weight?

Looks good, has a very strong smell. 😉

Have no idea when I’m going to get a chance to fit/ride it this side of xmas. Possible debut at HTN.

nick1962
    Free Member

Mine arrived too.800 g on my kitchen scales,110g heavier than folding HR 1s but 55 g less than the lightest High Roller 2s (figures according to Maxxis website).

ctznsmith
    Free Member

Is that dual-ply Nick? Single ply version on the scales at work were 990g.

nick1962
    Free Member

HR dual plys are all over a kilo afaik so no.Got figures from here.Can’t be bothered taking off my HR2 and weighing it

http://www.maxxis.com/Bicycle/Mountain/High-Roller-II.aspx
    http://www.maxxis.com/Bicycle/Mountain/High-Roller.aspx

ctznsmith
    Free Member

Was talking about Chunky Monkey’s

PaulGillespie
    Free Member

Chunky Monkey only come in single ply….i thought!

800g is not too bad really, comparable to a 2.4 rubber queen. Hopefully get mine tomorrow.

Love the smell of rubber 🙂

ctznsmith
    Free Member

Just realised mine’s a 29er tyre too!

I’m getting confused available in single or dual compound i.e. Enduro or Trail Extreme

(Just realised I’m probably using the wrong word in ‘ply’ and actually thinking about it not sure if compound affects weight)

brant
    Free Member

Chunky Monkey only come in single ply….i thought!

Yes, but do have an, ahem “Eckso” sidewall (as we can’t call it E*O) apparently.

Smuzzy
    Free Member

Just put a Chunky Monkey on the front of my Karate Monkey (gawd!) replaced the Smorgasboard which is what I also have on the back. No idea how it rides, but took an opportunity to weigh both on my quite accurate digi scales, Chunky was 921g and the smorg 895g. So not a lot in it. Both are set up tubeless at about 22 psi. Will report back after a ride.

doom_mountain

I just took a punt on a Chunky Monkey for the front and Smorgasbord rear, a set of kevlar, Maxxis-in-disguise tyres for £27.48!
    Can’t even get a single high roller for that kind of money….

Markie
    Free Member

Received my 26 x 2.4 Chunky Monkeys today and what do they weigh? Kitchen scales say a weight of 882g and 904g. FWIW.

They look ace to me.

tazzymtb

tubeless is a piece of piss, ace in the mud, works well as a rear as well,draggy as chuff on climbs and just toooooo damn heavy for me so back to weenie.

If you want oooodles of grip then they’re top banana

brant
    Free Member

If you want oooodles of grip then they’re top banana

Can I use that as an official quote on the website?

tazzymtb

yes you can Brant 😉

tazzymtb

actually edit to my heavy comment, I should clarify as tooooo damn heavy when combined with a surly nate. If used as front on a hardcore loony bike or give some cush to rigid 29er then it’ll be fab. Oh and on a flow rim bigger than a 2.4 Racing ralph, almost to WTB dissent 2.55 girth

andyl
    Free Member

got my smorgasboards on my Scandal and it looks wierd enough. I still think I could get a chunky monkey in the rebas but it’s already heacy enough compared to my C456.

Brant – any plans to bring out 650b versions?

freeride_frankie
    Free Member

I’ve been running the 50a/42a chunky m on the front and 50a chunky m on the back of my Alpitude for the last week or 3, and have to say I’m very impressed. Grip well on the roots, clear well in the slop. Both tyres weighed around 810gms, about the same as a 2.4 advantage.
    There going on the dh rig soon.

Markie
    Free Member

Both tyres weighed around 810gms

You lucky weasel, what did I do to deserve the heavy ones?

freeride_frankie
    Free Member

I have the use of some very good digital scales.(My other half has them for weighing puppys.Its very important to know how much your puppys weigh!!!!)

Markie
    Free Member

I have the use of some very good digital scales.

Does this mean the better the scales the lighter the tyres? 😀

Anyhow, more (calibrated, to a degree!) weighing has me convinced I’m in at 904 and 882. Oh well!

This is quite possibly the kind of conversation Brant had hoped to avoid by making non-weenie tyres 😳

Del

My other half has them for weighing puppys.Its very important to know how much your puppys weigh!!!!

as in ‘Wahey! what a lovely pair of puppies! I’ll have the one with the big, pink nose!’??
    😛

freeride_frankie
    Free Member

Maybe the puppys i’ve had to help handle have been more sizable than I’ve been led to believe!! 😀

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘On-One Chunky Monkey’ is closed to new replies.