Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 79 total)
  • On my way to Liverpool any tips on what to do when I get there?
  • RustyMac

Pretty much as the title, I am currently sitting in a service station on my way to Liverpool any body got any tips on what I can do in the evenings?
    Going to be at a bit of a loose end tomorrow so what says you STW what should i do?
    Staying down at pier head if that makes a difference and I have never been to Liverpool before.

Cheers all, off to get back in the car again so will check back on this thread when I get to my hotel.

weeksy

Wonderful place, check out the Beatles places

watsontony
    Free Member

leave your car wear you are now. it will be safer. and when you get there you should be cautious of anyone, and keep an eye on you wallet. other than that try to get out alive

loddrik
    Free Member

🙄

😥

loddrik
    Free Member

What sort of thing do you like to do. Prob in the top 3 places in the uk for a night out. Lots of art galleries, restaurants, bars, comedy clubs etc.

Contrary to the utterly shite and tedious (does anyone actually laugh) comment above, liverpool is one of the safest cities in the uk. The sort of crime that is high here, is unlikely to ever affect visitors to the city. And it does feel pretty safe despite what the outdated stereotypes say.

Can confidently say I know liverpool better than most having driven black cabs whist doing degree and masters (plus being a scouser) so can point you in the right direction depending what you want to do.

watsontony
    Free Member

really? been ounce got threatened and my phone nicked when at a bus stop. dont think i really need to go back agen

loddrik
    Free Member

That’s because you sound like a prick, so someone else obviously spotted that too and you rightly got what you deserved.

I’m glad you won’t be coming back.

Why bother commenting? It wasn’t remotely funny and it didn’t help the OP whatsoever. Pointless.

project
    Free Member

just cycled past there today on the other side of the river.
    All the museums are free,but closed at night, plenty of places within easy reach to cycle to, eg along the river towards garston,and up to sefton park and the palm house,or along the leeds liverpool canal to see the cast iron men at Crosby an Anthony Gormley instalaltion,, theres albert dock on the pier head,liver building, then liverpool 1 shopping centre,open late and lots more, freindly people, lots of good secutrrity, and descent police presence at night.

project
    Free Member

Whatsontony, lots of people get their phones nicked some even get stabbed, and die, but thats usually london, and still people go there.

watsontony
    Free Member

i clearly deserve to be stolen from………..

you sound like a prick

loddrik
    Free Member

Got it in one, time to leave the thread methinks…

maccruiskeen

I recommend a trip to the Museum of Irony 🙂

santacruzsi
    Free Member

Hello hope you got there safe and enjoy my home city! Plenty to do there which some of the other folks have suggested and can second the free Museums, the Gormley Statues and for shopping and food you have Liverpool One and the other main shopping area too which backs onto Liverpool One. As you are staying on Pier Head (Thistle, Crown Plaza or Mal) then for the evening you’re not far to walk into town for food and drink. Not sure if you’re a Beatles fan (i’m not!) but there’s Matthew St and plenty of places there. Liverpool One has some restaurants too. You can take a walk from the Pier Head and turn left up the river which is a nice walk up to the Albert Dock and the Echo Arena (which is nothing special but walk is pleasant). If you want to drive up to Formby & Southport there are various beaches too. Hope this helps, have a good time!

gee68
    Free Member

U turn. 😀

davidjones15
    Free Member

just cycled past there today on the other side of the river.

That’s the bit to stay away from, Birkenhead is grim.
    It’s not a big city.
    Albert Dock is nice and the Beatles Story is supposed to be good, not my bag though. Matthew St is worth a look and I’d probably take a bit of a chill on the ferry.
    Tate is worth a look too.
    Some spectacular architecture, if that’s your thing.
    Find a nice spot and just look at Wales, in awe.

maccruiskeen

If you’re a culture vulture the Biennial is on still I think – lots of exhibitions all over town well as public works and some one-off events at weekends. If you are at Pierhead than aside from the Tate theres the Open Eye gallery (photography) the temporary pavilion next to the Tate and the old Cunnard Building has been taken over for exhibitions too (some hit some miss).

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

It’s a pity Loddriks gone, I was going to ask him what the highest place in Liverpool is.
    I’ve heard it’s Killamanforhisgiro.
    Actually I was in Liverpool today & it was so cold I saw a scouser with his hands in his OWN pockets!

loddrik
    Free Member

If you’re looking to drink, I’d avoid Concert Sq is its pretty young. Rope walks and Seel St much better. Off the beaten track pubs like the Pilgrim are great. Victoria & Matthew st are very lively. Chain restaurants clustered around Williamson sq and Liverpool one. Lots of good restaurants on Bold St and Hanover St. Live music always on somewhere, best check flyers on billboards. For movies, liverpool one odeon has IMAX etc but I prefer to watch movies at Fact, you can take a drink in with you of that’s your thing and the crowd won’t be full of teenagers. Albert dock overpriced, dressy and touristy but very busy.

My tip for somewhere good to eat, there is a noodle place on Berry St, over the road from Tokyou (another noodle place which is always rammed), can’t remember the name, but its always full with Chinese people and is DELICIOUS!!!

greggparker9
    Free Member

At the moment there is a Bodies Revealed exhibition on in Liverpool One, I’ve not yet been but friends and family have and all gave positive reviews.

As mentioned above there is lots of beautiful architecture so remember to look up when you’re wandering around. If you get a nice day then a trip to the roof of the cathedral (Anglican, big sandstone one!)is worth a go, only costs a few quid. Then walk along Hope St to the other cathedral. Lots of restaurants along Hope St. The Quarter on Falkner st is one of my favourites for a chilled lunch, or the Side door is good too.

Albert Dock and the Tate are good for a wander and the new Liverpool Museum at the Pier Head although I can’t testify on that as I haven’t been yet.

If you want anymore specific advice just let me know.

greggparker9
    Free Member

It’s amuses me that whenever somebody asks questions about Liverpool you get the usual moronic replies from idiots that clearly have no idea what they are talking about.

Liverpool is a fantastic city, the doubters should get themselves up for a weekend and see for themselves.

loddrik
    Free Member

Damn forgot about bodies revealed, have to get down there before it moves on.

Rumour has it the bodies are of tourists murdered by the nasty theiving scousers…

crikey
    Free Member

Is Chris’s Chippy still on Rose Lane?

I skinned up in a skip outside the chippy in 1988.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

It’s amuses me that whenever somebody asks questions about Liverpool London you get the usual moronic replies from idiots that clearly have no idea what they are talking about.

Liverpool London is a fantastic city, the doubters should get themselves up for a weekend and see for themselves.

It’s not just Liverpool, sadly….!

loddrik
    Free Member

It certainly is, still owned by the same Greek lads. I used to go to caldersones and we used to go there for lunch most days.

davidjones15
    Free Member

Is there nothing those bloody southerners won’t try and hijack?

crikey
    Free Member

I had a mate from Liverpool in the 1980s, we were at University together and had some amazing nights out there.

Think I’ll drag the remaining family over there this weekend. 🙂

greggparker9
    Free Member

Damn forgot about bodies revealed, have to get down there before it moves on.

I need to do the same, I’m just home for a few weeks before heading off for the winter. Might try and go next week.

True, it just grates on me!! My mum always used to say if you’ve got nothing nice to say then don’t say anything, I guess the same should apply here!

loddrik
    Free Member

Is there nothing those bloody southerners won’t try and hijack?

Yeah, leave us to dwell on our own negative connotations, go get your own…!

timc
    Free Member

When are you here till buddy, I live next dock along from where your staying!

grum
    Free Member

Despite having family from those parts, and being brought up as a Liverpool fan, I never had a great impression of the place – used to find it a bit scary TBH. I have a mate who was at uni there though and saw a new side to it. Some great bars and restaurants and interesting stuff going on.

matt_outandabout

On my way to Liverpool any tips on what to do when I get there?

If it is not bolted down, it will be stolen. If it is bolted down, they have a spanner…
    4 years of enduring living in Toxteth while at Uni. Stole 4 bikes from house, returned the next day for the 5th one that housemate was out riding at the time. Broke into my car – by tearing the WHOLE flipping door off. etc etc Bitter? Me? nooo….

gee68
    Free Member

Actually Greg i live in Nottingham where everyone is packing pistols and there’s a gunfight nightly.

Back to reality,i was just taking the pith,hence the smiley face. 😉

timc
    Free Member

grum – Member
    Despite having family from those parts, and being brought up as a Liverpool fan, I never had a great impression of the place – used to find it a bit scary TBH. I have a mate who was at uni there though and saw a new side to it. Some great bars and restaurants and interesting stuff going on.

Amusing, what was scary then? i presume it wasn’t the high street on a saturday afternoon?

greggparker9
    Free Member

The scariest thing nowadays is the scousebrow!! More terrifying than any gangster!!

timc
    Free Member

matt_outandabout – Member
    4 years of enduring living in Toxteth while at Uni. Stole 4 bikes from house, returned the next day for the 5th one that housemate was out riding at the time. Broke into my car – by tearing the WHOLE flipping door off. etc etc Bitter? Me? nooo….

Probably the worst (inner city) part of Liverpool, thats usually where the worst crime is in any city.

Doesn’t sound like you made it hard for said thieves, back the next night? soft touch written all over that storey tbh

grum
    Free Member

Amusing, what was scary then? i presume it wasn’t the high street on a saturday afternoon?

Nah, it was just some of the bits around Anfield when I was a kid. I was a proper country bumpkin though. It hasn’t seemed that rough when I’ve been back as an adult.

loddrik
    Free Member

The scariest thing nowadays is the scousebrow!! More terrifying than any gangster!!

This I wholeheartedly agree with. Yes we have the highest gun crime rates outside of London, yes we have more deprivation than any other uk city, yes it may be utterly shite for mountainbiking, but the scouse brow takes **** up to a whole new level!!!!!

aftershock
    Free Member

That’s the bit to stay away from, Birkenhead is grim.
    It’s not a big city.
    Albert Dock is nice and the Beatles Story is supposed to be good, not my bag though. Matthew St is worth a look and I’d probably take a bit of a chill on the ferry.
    Tate is worth a look too.
    Some spectacular architecture, if that’s your thing.
    Find a nice spot and just look at Wales, in awe.

I moved here 6 years ago, never had any trouble at all and I have a broad West Country accent so stand out from the scousers, great place lots to do and apart from Birkenhead being a bit of a dump as mentioned, the Wirral (thats the other side of the water)is a fantastic place with great scenery, restaurants and some great places to ride.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

*Googles “Scouse brow”*

*Is afraid*

timc
    Free Member

eeeeeeee ya perv

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 79 total)

The topic ‘On my way to Liverpool any tips on what to do when I get there?’ is closed to new replies.