Viewing 39 posts - 41 through 79 (of 79 total)
  • On my way to Liverpool any tips on what to do when I get there?
  • jackthedog
    Free Member

Me and the Mrs visited Liverpool earlier this year, and on recommendation from folk here we spent quite a nice few hours getting inebriated in the Baltic Fleet and the Ship & Mitre. Both magnificent boozers.

Forget the naysayers, Liverpool is a bloody brilliant city with loads to do. I loved it.

chipsngravy
    Free Member

I was born in Merseyside and family from Liverpool. Left the area when young and grew up the south. Recently been spending more time back in Liverpool and the surrounding area, I’ve got to say I love it. The city is buzzing. Great transport infrastructure (cheap trains) and just on your doorstep you’ve got North Wales and the Lakes.

Given the chance I would love to move back to the area.

If you like Tapas, check out Lunya in L1.

Keep an eye out for the Livepool girls with their curlers in.

Loads of history to take in. Me and the wife went down Scotland road to get a feel of the old docks.

hora
    Free Member

Lovely cultural mix of Chinese, Black and white over the last century or so in the populace in Liverpool from the influx of Chinese merchantmen and windrush settling

Yes it does have a rep but then where i lived in London within 300m’s there were ALOT more murders, beatings etc than within 3miles of my house in Stretford/Manchester. here…..and I lived in quite a nice area…

voodoo_chile

Good boozers, quite safe, food emporiums are a plenty we like “the tavern ” mexican in queens square as loddrik said stay away from concert square …… lunatics off their barnet on all kinds of persian rugs …every city has a similar area

project
    Free Member

That’s the bit to stay away from, Birkenhead is grim.

First place to have a tram system in the uk,designed by an american called Mr Train

first pubic park, and used as a model for central park in new york,

First under river train system,

first under river roadway tunel,

got the oldest running river ferries in the uk,the actual journey not the boats,

direct boat service to belfast daily,for lgv,s and passengers,

tallest brick built structure in the uk, the mersey tunnel woodside vent stack,

one of the first electic railways,

and i live there.

and lots more

samuri
    Free Member

I’ve spent a lot of time in Liverpool. Worked there for years, went to college there, married a scouser. It used to be an absolute craphole. Precisely the type of place the naysayers say it is.

The biggest problem wasn’t the terrible way its awful council officials ran the place but the serious chip on the shoulder that so many scousers had. You say hello to one and they would start on you. It was that bad for a while. I learned to fight in Liverpool because I had to.

But I’ll admit, it’s better now and so are the people that live there. There are many cultural places to visit within the city, some are great. The town centre is now reasonably appealing, there’s some great places to go drinking.

If you’re looking around visit docklands. If you’re going drinking then just head for the town centre and move out a little. The museums are good and the Library is fantastic.

project
    Free Member

Just off concert square is the wolstenholme square ballen,on parr street, a bit of crazy public art, visit in daylight only.

martinhutch

first pubic park

Worth getting on the ferry just to see this, I reckon.

My best mate is from Birkenhead. He is suitably scathing about the place.

RustyMac

Right then, just arrived. 7hrs drive from Aberdeen so pretty shattered now. In the crowne plaza getting food and a beer here tonight as I simply CBA going fuehrer afield.

Will be here tomorrow then heading back up on Friday at some point.

Cheers for all the advice so far. Once I’ve got some food in me I’ll re read it and try and figure out what I can squeeze in in my flying visit.

timc
    Free Member

ahh so your in princes dock now, so am I 🙂

having been to aberdeen myself, you won’t find it rough / violent etc as stated above 😀

RustyMac

Happy to meet anyone off here for a pint if they are available and can give me foolproof directions to the pub from the hotel.

timc
    Free Member

im in work tomorrow, happy to watch the anzi match if you want!

RustyMac

I’m down here for work so will be in the office till 4.30 so should be back at the hotel for 5.

Not much of a football fan I’m afraid however if there is beer and a good atmosphere then I’m not too fussed what is on the tv.

[edit] I draw the line at x-factor or dancing programms [/edit]

project
    Free Member

Rusty mac do you have a bike with you,

is your car still in the car park with all its wheels, 😀

rudebwoy
    Free Member

i like the dark side– one eye, new brighton, loads o pubs on the wirral, in lwerpwl tend to go lark lane area, or my mate’s fav boozer the Edinburgh — off sandown road…top place..

toby1

I’d say you have to head to the Philharmonic for a beer and a trip to the grandest loos in town before you leave.

There’s a lot said about the city, I went up again a couple of months ago with some South African friends and we had a great weekend. Enjoy yourself 🙂

surfer
    Free Member

the Wirral (thats the other side of the water)is a fantastic place with great scenery, restaurants and some great places to ride.

Also known as Gods chosen acre!

pingu66
    Free Member

My home town.

Yes we have crime, doesn’t every town.

But we also have great restaurants, great drinking, fantastic architecture, a truly facinating and sometimes dark history often represented within the architecture, museums and galleries.

Like any major city there are areas you don’t want to go and stand at bus stop waving your iPhone around with a big arrow above your head that says “C0CK”.

You don’t need to be at a loose end just don’t be a “watsontony” and you will be safe as houses.

Sidney
    Free Member

Studied and worked there for best part of 7 years. Lots of naysayers but everyone who visited me at uni had an awesome time, including one mate who came for a weekend and ended up staying a fortnight!

If you like your films I can highly recommend FACT, well I could 6 years ago, hope its still good. Awesome cinema doing a mix of arty and blockbuster. Two large screens and a smaller screen, all of which you could take your booze to from the bar. And it had reclining seats.

Wish I was there!

weeksy

LOL i was born and bred around Anfield, living first in Sunbury road (well, until i was 1 i lived over the print shop next to the Sandon) then moving to Huyton after that…

As for Anfield being rough, jeeeeeez, just because it’s terraced houses doens’t mean it’s rough. Back in the day it was the best place in the world with the nicest people i’ve ever met.

surfer
    Free Member

i was born and bred around Anfield, living first in Sunbury road

Wasnt the Sandon also called “the brick” ? I grew up in Fazakerley and spent my weekends along County Road.

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

Clicky thing
    CAR CRIME HOTSPOTS

BR7 Chislehurst, south-east London

TS28 Wingate, Durham

IG4 Redbridge, east London

DN7 Hatfield, Doncaster

M3 Manchester city centre

BS29 Banwell, Somerset

BD1 Bradford city centre

S2 Arbourthorne, Sheffield

NP24 New Tredegar, Newport, south Wales

RM7 Romford centre, east London

IG9 Buckhurst Hill, Essex

IG8 Woodford Green, north London

M4 Ancoats, Manchester

CF34 Cathays, Cardiff

S13 Handsworth, Sheffield

LS15 Barwick In Elmet & Cross Gates, Leeds

NR23 Wells-Next-The-Sea, Norfolk

DN8 Thorne, Doncaster

RM11 Hornchurch, Essex

RM13 Rainham, east London

FWIW I like what i know of Liverpool which is limited to Albert Docks, the Ferry Terminal to IoM and Everton fans. It is the kind of town where if you are on your own people will talk to you in pubs! Not my experience of London IHTS.

surfer
    Free Member

Peoples ingrained prejudices reinforced by media stereotyping arent going to be helped by you and your pesky facts are they!!

scruff
    Free Member

Its like the English version of Swansea, whereas Cardiff is the Welsh Manchester.

Sandwich

If you want some excitement there’s a teenager owes a load of forum members money. You could go and get it back for them! 😀

KonaTC

One of my mates is from Liverpool, his top tip to visitors is

If approached by a young entrepreneur asking for a £5 to look after your car; give him a £10 and say please do a good job.

A few years ago now he passed his advice to a work colleague who was going to support his football team who were playing Liverpool, the chaps said I’m not paying anyone a £10 to park my car in a street near the ground. Funny old thing it cost him a £10 to rent a foot pump…

People nearly wet themselves at his leave speech a couple of months later

Apart from that fabulous city with loads to do as pointed out above

binners

If approached by a young entrepreneur asking for a £5 to look after your car; give him a £10 and say please do a good job.

Same applies in Manchester. The urban legend goes that a bloke pulled up outside Old Trafford, on match day, with his big Alsatian in the car. He gets out and strolls towards the ground. Just then, a cheeky wee local scamp appears. the following conversation ensues

“Fiver to look after your car mister”
    “Its ok, the dogs in there. It’ll be fine”
    “Ok Mister. Can he put out fires?”

project
    Free Member

If approached by a young entrepreneur asking for a £5 to look after your car; give him a £10 and say please do a good job

urban myth created by some keen entrepeneur from liverpool to ensure you use one of their car parks.

timc
    Free Member

scruff – Member
    Its like the English version of Swansea, whereas Cardiff is the Welsh Manchester.

no its not

jota180
    Free Member

I get there once a month for a meeting and drinks/food, I quite like it, great city centre

When I had mobile techs working for me, in 12 years it was the only place where we had one shot [in the leg] and we certainly had more vans done over there than anywhere else by quite a margin.

grum
    Free Member

LOL i was born and bred around Anfield, living first in Sunbury road (well, until i was 1 i lived over the print shop next to the Sandon) then moving to Huyton after that…

As for Anfield being rough, jeeeeeez, just because it’s terraced houses doens’t mean it’s rough. Back in the day it was the best place in the world with the nicest people i’ve ever met.

We used to park a bit away and walk to the ground, through some not particularly nice newer build estates – dunno what area exactly. Like I said though, I was a kid, and at that point I’d mostly lived in a small hamlet in Cumbria so I wasn’t exactly streetwise.

We did used to get kids offering to ‘look after’ the car – my dad gave them a few quid and we never had any problems.

RustyMac

Just back from the office. Surprisingly a much better day than I thought it would be. Someone mentioned the Cunard building earlier in the thread, that was where I was and it and some of the surrounding buildings looked lovely. Like what they have done with the water front too.

Car still has all windows, wheels and tyres and is as badly parked as I left it last night.

Tomorrow is set aside for returning to Aberdeen but that can be done any time.

Who is local and up for a beer?

project
    Free Member

have you a bike with you

Like what they have done with the water front too.

its clever how the water rises twice a day and washes the walls and silt of the river,MAGIC.

RustyMac

Nope no bike, this was always going to be a flying visit and didn’t know if it would fit or fancy leaving it in the boot of the work car.

weeksy

We used to park a bit away and walk to the ground, through some not particularly nice newer build estates – dunno what area exactly. Like I said though, I was a kid, and at that point I’d mostly lived in a small hamlet in Cumbria so I wasn’t exactly streetwise.

We did used to get kids offering to ‘look after’ the car – my dad gave them a few quid and we never had any problems.

LOL my Auntie lived where you used to walk through, all part of the regeration of the area up by Robson street down to Anfield. My aunts house was in Neg equity for a long time in this area before finally being bought by the council for the regeneration.

We used to do a bit of ‘mind you car mister’ when we were younger.

trailmonkey

any tips on what to do when I get there

remember that the place was built on slavery and exploitation so keep a sense of humility whilst marveling at the historic grand eloquence.

voodoo_chile

Meet you in the lisbon on victoria st, i will be the one in the sailor suit …. 😀

RustyMac

Excellent stuff will you be able to show me the golden rivet? 😉

voodoo_chile

I am sure someone in the boozer could help with your request 😳

Viewing 39 posts - 41 through 79 (of 79 total)

The topic ‘On my way to Liverpool any tips on what to do when I get there?’ is closed to new replies.