Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • On line versus retail
  • joolsburger
    Free Member

I need a few bits nothing major, tubes, pads maybe some tyres. I work close to a good bike shop and thought I’d pop over in my lunch break and see if they had what I need. I’ve come away empty handed as it was going to cost me around twice the price of going to CRC or elsewhere for the bits I want.

I’m not naming this outlet as they are a good shop and I’m sure they aren’t shysters but I’m amazed that they can stay in business with the kind of competetion they have from the major on line players.

Is the LBS on it’s last legs or do people still feel they are worth paying for?

TheFlyingOx

For small price items such as tubes and tyre levers, etc. I can’t see the point in not supporting the LBS. Yes, you might end up paying £3 more than you would do online, but you’re building up a relationship with the shop which, in my experience, can save (quite a lot of) money in the long run.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

Did you ask if they’d come near the price of CR?

joolsburger
    Free Member

They wouldn’t budge at all. Pads 21 quid DH tubes 10 quid each. Tyres, well frankly silly money.

backhander
    Free Member

I’ll always buy my bits and bobs from an LBS, regardless of cost (if they have it).
    What does amaze me is the LBS’ which have next to nothing on the shelf and offer to order X in! Completely negates the point of a LBS.
    My most local one is the worst at this.
    If I want to wait, I’ll go online and get the kit quicker and cheaper.
    I’ve had to go online to buy brake pads, fox gloves and endura glasses recently.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

I think if they cut their loses and do you a deal then fair enough, But not to even try. No wonder you went elsewhere.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

Overheads is the reason shops don’t carry loads of stock.

Most mail order giants Wiggle for example carryvery little stock. When you order it, they order it, hense the available in 3-4 days.

Most shops will be able to get parts next day.

backhander
    Free Member

I’ve found the reverse shep. Shops quote 5-7 days, online is usually next day free delivery.

uplink
    Free Member

I’d hate to see any business go down, it’s not good for those concerned

I personally have no use for a bricks and mortar bike shop though, if I do want something very quick and they have it, I’ll pay what they ask
    I won’t however ‘support’ it by buying more regularly for the sake of others.

FOG

I recently broke a chain and ordered a new one with various other bits from an online shop renowned for speed, on a monday. The bits didn’t come until the following tuesday. Not a great wait in the scheme of things but it meant I would have missed a weekends riding if I hadn’t gone and bought a chain from the LBS which ironically had an offer on the particular chain I had ordered and was the same price! However the other bits ordered [brake parts] would have been considerably more expensive at the LBS. Horses for courses. I too wondered how LBS survive but a word with a mate who regularly pays for a pair of pads what I pay for four reassured me.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

I’ve found the reverse shep. Shops quote 5-7 days, online is usually next day free delivery

Most suppliers offers next day if ordered before 2pm so if they quote that and have no good reason to say otherwise then walk away.

CalamityJames
    Free Member

Wherever possible I will support my LBS (Bromley Bike) as the guys in there are always helpful and over the last few years turned service/problems around quickly for me.

Granted they are not cheap and do not price match, but if a bottle of lube, pair of pads or a tyre cost a few more quid then so be it. As stated above is good to have a rapport with them.

However I do still order online for many parts though, especially cassettes/chains that are a good 20% cheaper.

xiphon
    Free Member

It’s the customers who want their Dawes / Halfrauds bike serviced once a year who keep the LBS’s afloat.

foxyrider
    Free Member

Bit of give and take here might sum it up ?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘On line versus retail’ is closed to new replies.