Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • Olympic road race.
  • Mooly
    Free Member

Is any one going to see the Olympic road race this weekend?
    Will it be worth travelling up from the south west to get a view around box hill? ( Obviously not in the ticketed area.)

Edric64
    Free Member

Doing the same thing from Somerset hopefully

xcgb
    Free Member

Roads close at 4am on sat around surrey hills so get here early!!!

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Watching it go past from my 1st floor window…

Mooly
    Free Member

I was looking to go up on Friday night and camp over for the weekend.

xcgb
    Free Member

Where are you camping? bear in mind that a lot of paths will be closed others have restrictions thee is a map showing this online, but on the test event it was possible to use the north downs way to get about

fourbanger
    Free Member

I was thinking about having a bimble over from Reading area.
    TDF had expected arrival times for all towns and villages on route based on 3 different average speeds. Can’t find anything similar for the ‘lympics.
    Does anyone have a link to the timings of the event?

xcgb
    Free Member

http://www.gosurrey.info/olympic-road-cycling/race-times/

It was pretty accurate for the trial

Tiger6791

I will be using my extensive “Bivi” skills and will be cycling out on to other side of Box Hill on Friday night with lots of bacon and rolls.

I will be sleeping in my viewing position to watch a few seconds of blokes on bikes:

I am sure it will be fun although it sounds crappy as I type it.

Mooly
    Free Member

There is a bike Expo on Box hill farm which include camping. Might be a good option as there will be band and beer. There will probably be a screen to watch other events including the opening ceremony. will probably to a day trip into London as well to have a nose around.

xcgb
    Free Member

Mooly oh I hadn’t heard about that, might pop up and have a look

Shibboleth
    Free Member

I’m traveling down from the NW on Friday night to stay with friends in Hazlemere. We’re then cycling to the route on Sat.

Where will be the best place to view? (sorry for the semi-hijack…)

leggyblonde
    Free Member

I’ve got some tickets to the Zico Ebdons thingy. I’ll head over on the MTB and see what happens really.

loum
    Free Member
    spacemonkey

I live across the fields and am still trying to figure out the best plan of action. Tis a tad more complicated because I’ll have little monkey in tow, hence riding isn’t really an option. Will prob watch from A24 > A25 > Denby’s party > back home.

Don’t think many of us will know until we’re there exactly how simple or chaotic it’s gonna be.

fourbanger
    Free Member

Thanks xcgb!

Mooly
    Free Member

Found an interesting link that suggests the will be nine loops of the box hill circuit so should get to see quite a bit.
    http://www.london2012.com/cycling-road/about/

xcgb
    Free Member

Mooly yes thats correct 9 laps for the men

Tiger6791

And if we use tacks like the French you get to see wheel changes aswell

spacemonkey

And if we use tacks like the French Spanish you get to see wheel changes aswell

captain-slow
    Free Member

late joiner to this string, but given the comments about road closures will it be possible to get anywhere near the route if I travel from Reading area on saturday morning or am I going to end up turning around and going home to watch the telly?

tonyd

1) Put bike in car
    2) Drive as close as possible
    3) Park
    4) Take bike out of car
    5) Cycle to route
    6) Watch race

Reverse. 🙂

captain-slow
    Free Member

that was vague plan tonyd, but it has to be said that all the official info is less than encouraging to those who have not bought tickets..

djglover
    Free Member

Lie in, run to Richmond park, watch bikes go past, run home, shower, open beer, switch telly on watch the last bit

mudshark
    Free Member

http://www.gosurrey.info/olympic-road-cycling/road-closures/list-of-road-closures-olympi/

No clear info about what will be open when. I’m about 3 miles from the Zig Zag and have to get to my mate on Boxhill, I suppose I’ll set off early and keep trying until I get through those enthusiastic chaps in yellow vests.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Yup we are heading over too Friday night camping at Headley Cricket club, got screen on Friday showing opening ceremony, Bacon baps and stuff all weekend. Planning on taking road bikes to zap around on/after but get impression that may not be possible. Cluster as usual rather than publicizing info to help us all and stop the chaos!!!

10pmix
    Free Member

those enthusiastic chaps in yellow vests

Judging by the look of the ones “guarding” the time trial site this morning I think giving them the slip might be quite easy…

xcgb
    Free Member

Mudshark – Roads around the box hill surrey hills area are closed at 4am they will stop you getting anywhere near the route

thepurist

Looks like it’s going to be tricky for a lot of people to get to the usual haunts around Peaslake/Leith as well – guess that means Swinley will be heaving this weekend.

xcgb
    Free Member

You can still get to Peaslake, the road is closed on the A25 just after the Shere turn so you can get through Shere or turn off earlier towards Albury

Leith is accessible too via back roads

mudshark
    Free Member

Well I went over to the bottom of the Zig Zag this morning and a couple of burly policeman told me a shall not pass. Not sure why they need to close it now but still. I guess I’ll have to go via Pebble Coombe on Saturday and come in from the other side to my mate’s house.

captain-slow
    Free Member

box hill was closed to public today for teams to have official practise. still have no idea where to watch from as it really isn’t clear where public will be able to stand…

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

You can watch most of the course except box hill and mall.

kerv
    Free Member

Putney bridge for us, watch em out, then in a pub with a big screen, then stagger back out to watch local boy done good Ian Stannard lead em home to gold!

spacemonkey

Well I went over to the bottom of the Zig Zag this morning and a couple of burly policeman told me a shall not pass.

box hill was closed to public today for teams to have official practise.

I was there yesterday at 8:15am and although the barriers were up (at the official start to zig zag) security were pleasant and there were no police. Wasn’t allow up though, so I went round Headley Heath instead.

Still don’t think any of us can guestimate how chaotic it’s gonna be until we arrive tomo. Will be arriving with chimp in tow and am hoping there’ll be enough ‘paths’ to get around without heavy-handed security intervening.

ribb
    Free Member

Is there any of the boxhill section which you can see without tickets ?

spacemonkey

AFAIK only the A24 section where they loop round towards the Mickleham bends.

sputnik
    Free Member

Ribb, most of the loop is non ticketed . But looking at the PDF of the bridle way closures and temporarily lifting of ROW, it would appear is if it could be hard/tricky to get to. Seriously don’t know how they can police that entire area, it is my local stomping ground and it’s big, know lots if tracks that’s not on the restricted list 😉

spacemonkey

Like sputnik says, you could easily navigate your way to a spot between some trees/bushes. Whether there’ll be security every 50yds doing spot checks is anyone’s guess. I doubt it, but then there’s every likelihood of the H&S/RA brigade clamping down on exactly this.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘Olympic road race.’ is closed to new replies.