• This topic has 23 replies, 19 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by IHN.
Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • OLYMPIC CYCLE LANES – How can they fine a cyclist ?
  • adi66
    Free Member

Just been reading a article on the BBC news website, and it got me wondering how they can fine a cyclist for using the “games lanes”… I can understand a vehicle with number plates being spotted on the CCTV and a fine sent out, but for a bike, are there “games lanes” “police / wardens” patrolling every inch of the lanes ?

… and isn’t it far safer to ride in / on the edge of a games lane that against the curb in all of the no doubt mental traffic ?

Anyone have the answer ?

(I don’t live in London BTW)

bikebouy
    Free Member

So you want to ride in an express lane (cars travelling quite fast) that is reserved for the ‘Lympics Lot?

I’d suggest you’d be far safer in the left hand gutter where we tend to ride rather than in the left(ish) part of what will become a very fast lane indeed.

For instance the A2 is mental at the best of times, they’ve cordoned off a section and there is NO WAY I’d ride in it.

The other routes I’d suggest would be flowing far quicker than “normal” London traffic.

I ride around London quite a lot.

aP
    Free Member

I will almost certainly be riding in the one through Wandsworth on my way home as it would be extremely inadvisable to attempt to ride in the remaining lanes. I ride a lot in London (200 miles a week+)

psling
    Free Member

I don’t think they’re intending to fine cyclists.

My understanding is that they’ve set up strategic sniper posts…

rkk01
    Free Member

That’s what the SAMs* are for…

* secret anti-mamil missile – with appologies to the extra M

MrWoppit
    Free Member

We were all taking a cheeky right-hander at Tower Gateway this morning to get on to East Smithfield. Seemed to work…

will
    Free Member

You wont get fined if you’re in a lane which is closest to the pavement, Eg, the usual cycling position.

Think you could only get a fine if you sailed down the outside lane of traffic, which you wouldn’t normally do.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

scaled
    Free Member

sailed down the outside lane of traffic, which you wouldn’t normally do.

lol, commute much? Manchester drivers see a cyclist coming up the inside and pull in to the kerb to block you!

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

http://www.getaheadofthegames.com/things-you-should-know/cyclists.html
    “Cyclists risk a fine for obstructing Games Lanes when they are in use.”

hmm, its not crystal clear. Sounds like you won’t get a fine if the games lane was in action, but had not traffic in it? How likely that is i’ve no idea. I’d also bet money there’ll be lots of security/police who are just as confused as we are.

theflatboy
    Free Member

and will have more important things to worry about than try to stop you unless you’re really taking the piss.

simondbarnes

Think you could only get a fine if you sailed down the outside lane of traffic, which you wouldn’t normally do.

Sailing down the outside lane of traffic is *far* safer than trying to ride up this inside. You’ve got to be crazy to ride up the inside of traffic.

bwaarp
    Free Member

Go full chav, buy a BMX and ride on the pavements.

loum
    Free Member

I don’t have any details, but have heard that access to these “Olympic Lanes” has been available to purchase through the right channels.
    Possibly in connection to the band-A tickets or corporate hospitality.
    So the congestion’s just for the plebs.

singletrackmind

I read in a newspaper ( at kebab shop so not sure , but red top ) that it was £132 fine or bike confiscated if unwilling to pay.
    £15 dump bike anyone? .- FS and everything.. nb not everything will work

PrinceJohn

“Cyclists risk a fine for obstructing Games Lanes when they are in use.”

Can’t see how they can do anything as it only says risk (doesn’t say will receive) & obstructing. Now to me causing an obstruction isn’t riding in the lane…

footflaps

Just buy a VIP ticket and you get a sticker saying ‘F*** you, I’m rich’ which you can stick on your car or bike and then use the lanes at will.

brakes
    Free Member

I might buy an Olympics t-shirt and pretend I’m an official lane tester.
    OR I’m going to mug one of the millions of do-gooders who are milling around looking meek in their “I’m a LODNON 2012 Helper” gear and steal their outfit and ride to work in it.

singletrackmind

Starting from 06:00 BST, a £130 fine has become enforceable for drivers and cyclists driving in the Games Lanes.

ripped off here.- http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-18977640

will
    Free Member

Not sure about car drivers actively blocking cyclists on the inside, certainly nothing i’ve come across in London.

Whilst I agree that using the outside lane is often safer for cyclists if you’re moving at a good pace, for the vast majority of riders it would be dangerous, I suspect that is what the Olympic Lanes are trying to stop?

Anyway the only bit of Olympic traffic i’ve come across is Park Lane, apart from that it’s been fine so far.

konabunny
    Free Member

Can’t see how they can do anything as it only says risk (doesn’t say will receive) & obstructing. Now to me causing an obstruction isn’t riding in the lane…

That website is not a statement of the law.

hilldodger
    Free Member

theflatboy – Member
    and will have more important things to worry about than try to stop you unless you’re really taking the piss.

The ability to remove/arrest/conviscate bike/fine was put in place as a measure to be used in case of rent-a-crusty Olympic lane blocking protests not as a means of busting regular cyclists who take a cheeky shortcut….

IHN

That website is not a statement of the law.

Exactly. Thats what this website is for.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘OLYMPIC CYCLE LANES – How can they fine a cyclist ?’ is closed to new replies.