Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)
  • London commuting warning!
  • MrWoppit
    Free Member

These “Zil” lanes… Even if it looks empty you should avoid. I was in one this morning, feeling a bit smug cycling past the jammed up traffic on the left, no problem – I’d checked before entering and it had looked completely clear. About two hundred yards away from my turn-off point, I casually glanced in the handlebar mirror – EEEEEK! there was a dirty great coach barrelling down on me. Legs suddenly jumped into top gear and I survived as the coach almost clipped the back wheel as I got onto the pedestrian island.

So hey. Let’s be careful out there.

allthepies
    Free Member

Are they the lanes you’re not supposed to cycle in ?

fadda

You can’t possibly be suggesting that one should be alert and vigilant when commuting in heavy traffic, on a bicycle…? 😉

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Damn … thought I’d paid that fella enough.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

You can’t possibly be suggesting that one should be alert and vigilant when commuting in heavy traffic, on a bicycle…?

😆

soobalias
    Free Member

you glanced in your what?

vinnyeh

You can’t possibly be suggesting that one should be alert and vigilant when commuting in heavy traffic, on a bicycle…?

If we were meant to be alert and vigilant then our bikes would come with rear view mirrors.
    Ooh, woppit’s got a rear view mirror!!

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

you glanced in your what?

His handlebar mirror on his Brompton. He likes to regularly remind people what a tit he is 🙂

MrWoppit
    Free Member

The mirror enables very quick checking of any activity behind me at crucial moments when I need to know this but at the same time spend as little time as possible taking my eyes off where I’m going. It’s incredibly useful in heavy, fast traffic on complicated roads like my London commute.

I find it very useful and a safeguard against accidents. Like this morning.

I fail to see why that makes me a “tit”, ernie. Perhaps you could explain why that is, unless of course you are simply using the thread to hurl some abuse my way, in which case I think you need to be moderated.

flange
    Free Member

I fail to see why that makes me a “tit”, ernie. Perhaps you could explain why that is, unless of course you are simply using the thread to hurl some abuse my way, in which case I think you need to be moderated.

He’s got a point though, hasn’t he…

molgrips
    Free Member

I fail to see why that makes me a “tit”

If you have to ask, you wouldn’t understand.

fourbanger
    Free Member

Holly shit, I don’t even have mirrors on my motorbike as it spoils the aesthetic. Mirrors on a bicycle, really?

binners

His handlebar mirror on his Brompton

Heated?

binners

Oh… and FFS will you two get over this whole sexual tension thing and just do it. It really is pretty boring for the rest of us watching it fail to blossom. Its tragic!

*yawns*

kimbers

im confused i thought cyclists could use the zil lanes?

brakes
    Free Member

Did this actually happen Mr Woppers or is this one of those fantasy happenings that you bring to the forum in order to satisfy your need to be abused?

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Oh, I see. “Look at me as I go under a lorry that I didn’t see because I was too busy craning my kneck to look behind me. Still, my bike looked good for a second before we were both completely flattened into the tarmac”.

Pfft. Pathetic.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

No, brakes. I was attempting to warn any London bike commuters of the dangers of mistaking a clear Zil lane as being safe to bike on. You know – being helpful.

Of course, I hadn’t counted on the STW pack hunt turning up for a collective masturbate.

binners

To be fair Woppit, you’re untimely demise would have more to do with riding in a lane in which is strictly verbotten, as it is reserved for high speed transportation, than it is to with an absence of wing mirrors

flange
    Free Member

Or try one of these

I found it a thoroughly helpful PSA and riding home tonight, in my car down the A14 between Cambridge and Ipswich I’ll keep it in mind.

Thanks again

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Strange. Why would you wear a helmet-attached cycle mirror when driving a car? Are you “challenged” in some way?

binners

Anyway… this is all very nice and everything, but I think we need to focus on the most important point here….

You live in London! Suck it up!! The rest of us couldn’t give a flying one! Your own fault for living there! 😀

Here’s my commute home for you Woppit

Untitled by binlidski, on Flickr

My chances of being mown down by a self-important foreign dignatory are quite slim 😛

MrWoppit
    Free Member

You live in London!

Do I, now.

brakes
    Free Member

You know – being helpful.

yeah, ok. thanks then.

I found the throngs of workshy people hanging around Bank waiting for the arrival of His Majesty the Torch more of a threat, plus some old giffer on a scooter who kept cutting me up and giving me the Vs.

The dangers of a London bicycle commute make it more fun for me.

flange
    Free Member

Strange. Why would you wear a helmet-attached cycle mirror when driving a car? Are you “challenged” in some way?

Disableist! You friggin Londoners are all the same.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

yeah, ok. thanks then.

Shame you didn’t simply see it as that to start with, before deciding to try and be clever about it.

molgrips
    Free Member

try and be clever about it

I think what we are trying to do is take the piss out of you as a windup, to get you back for being an arsehole to the religious folk of the forum.

flange
    Free Member

Shame you didn’t simply see it as that to start with

I’ll be honest, I don’t think he see’s it like that now. In fact, I bet it was Brakes (BAKES!!!! :evil:) driving that bus this morning.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

being an arsehole to the religious folk of the forum.

Myth.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

I’ll be honest, I don’t think he see’s it like that now.

Oh, I see. He was attempting irony?

Still having good old go on his virtual member, then…

flange
    Free Member

Myth.

Not Myth, Religion. Easy to confuse the two though….

MrWoppit
    Free Member

For you.

molgrips
    Free Member

Myth

Didn’t you call them all stupid and misguided for following idiotic superstitions?

brakes
    Free Member

Still having good old go on his virtual member, then…

you’re virtually watching me thought aren’t you? Mr Fwappit.

philconsequence
    Free Member

two wrongs don’t make a right molly.

it’s only ok to take the piss out of people you like, themz the rules.

binners

binners

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Didn’t you call them all stupid and misguided for following idiotic superstitions?

Evidence?

*yaaaawn*

binners

molgrips
    Free Member

I only made like one post, to make a point, then I fessed up.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘London commuting warning!’ is closed to new replies.