Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 60 total)
  • Oliver has surpassed himself.
  • mogrim

yep but his spain book is very very good!

Think I’d just get a Spanish chef’s book if I really needed Spanish recipes – although I eat enough of that already!

tomhoward

As per as few of you above, I think he has acheived an awful lot, and should be respected for it, I just can’t bring myself to like his onscreen persona.

I’d be happy to eat at one of his ‘proper’ restaurants (pukka?), though from what I’ve heard, I’d maybe give a wide berth to the chain ones (jamies italian?). One is opening here soon, so will give it a whirl, but not expect tooooo much.

thetallpaul
    Free Member

Wife was lucky enough to get preview tickets to the York Jamie’s. The food was excellent and the staff were really attentive. The building is interesting too.
    We have ended up with most of his books (Xmas prezzies), but the best was Happy Days which was his 2nd or 3rd. Still enjoy meals out of that one.
    At least IMO he is reasonably entertaining. I can’t stand Delia or Nigel Slater.

hooli

I can take or leave him but I fail to see the fascination with celebrity chefs in general?

You don’t get celebrity IT engineers, plumbers or electricians. It is just a job that they are good at.

I would far rather have a pub meal for reasonable money made with fresh ingredients and a decent portion. I take offense to being charged £60 for something fancy that is the size of a golf ball with 4 chips stacked at the side of a massive plate

tomhoward

I can’t stand Delia or Nigel Slater.

Can take or leave Delia (but the shows and receipes do look VERY dated now!), but Nigel Slater really, properly, more than anyone else on the telly box, boils my piss. The thing is, I cant put my finger on why, which increases the temperature of afore mentioned urine even more!! 👿

edlong
    Free Member

I can’t stand …Nigel Slater.

I feel similarly with Slater as I do with Oliver, but more so – I actually can’t watch Slater on the telly for more than five minutes, but I’ve probably cooked more of his recipes than any other “celebrity” chef’s..

bikebouy
    Free Member

#nigelslaterfanbouy 😉

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

You don’t get celebrity IT engineers,

brian cox is fairly close

plumbers or

tommy walsh

electricians

what about the bloke from diy sos?

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

I can take or leave him but I fail to see the fascination with celebrity chefs in general?

You don’t get celebrity IT engineers, plumbers or electricians. It is just a job that they are good at.

The difference is everyone has an inbuilt natural interest in food (I accept there’s the odd exception) so they’re of interest to the general public in the most part. Plumbing/Electrics/IT although essential, aren’t interesting to the masses.

righog
    Free Member

Somewhere Jamie Oliver Has his head in hands and is thinking,

“Not another Kryton57 post on singletrack, when will it end”.

mogrim

Inspired by this thread I broke out the 30 minute meals book, did a lovely herby chicken and bacon thing – complete success with the family, will be trying that again 🙂

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

It’s incredible the envy that people have of JO. Seems like a decent bloke, has done well for himself, and genuinely seems to care about kids health. Well done to him.

Get over yourself.

Kryton57

I’m not sure you should pursue a career in psychology, I’m pretty sure no one has stated they’re envious of JO. Personally I just don’t like the current presentation of his personality. It’s just my opinion, and I’m entitled to it.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Of course your entitled to it.

IME most people who are envious, don’t actually come out with it though.

Kryton57

I’m not envious at all though, I just don’t get on with his personality.

grum
    Free Member

He is irritating but you can’t really criticise what he’s done, an most of his recipes are very tasty IME.

ransos
    Free Member

It’s incredible the envy that people have of JO. Seems like a decent bloke, has done well for himself, and genuinely seems to care about kids health. Well done to him.

Get over yourself.

So I’m not allowed to dislike the food in his restaurant? Mmmmkay…

Inspired by this thread I broke out the 30 minute meals book, did a lovely herby chicken and bacon thing – complete success with the family, will be trying that again

Inspired by this thread I broke out Escoffier’s Guide to Modern Cookery and did roast crown of Gressingham duck with a bigarade sauce. Yummy…

StefMcDef
    Free Member

The “bantermime” comment above is spot-on – his shows are cookery for the Soccer AM generation. The neologisms, buzzwords and stunts shoehorned into his scripts are toe-curling. Seems like he’s trying too hard. He could always, you know, not go along with everything the programme makers suggest.

He seems personable enough, with a certain infectious enthusiasm, but it’s become subsumed in the behemoth that the Jamie Oliver brand has become. I can’t imagine that he’s ever been anywhere near most of the restaurants bearing his name, any more than he’s scattered the grated cheese in Matrix-style slow-motion over the top of one of his ready meals.

Plus, he recommended eating BAKED BEANS 😯 along with his fish pie recipe which, for me, negates every other thing he’s achieved in the culinary sphere.

rewski
    Free Member

I’m not envious at all though.

not even a little bit, think of all the capri’s bikes you could buy.

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 60 total)

The topic ‘Oliver has surpassed himself.’ is closed to new replies.