Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Okay so I've ridden the Orange 5, what else should I consider?
  • agent007
    Free Member

Think the trusty Marin has finally had it’s day so in the market for a new FS steed. Ride mostly Lakes, Wales, Peaks, normally natural trails and off piste. Only have space for one bike so whatever I get it has to do everything. The Marin was 120mm travel with 26″ wheels, so thinking of upgrading to 27.5″ and upping the travel to 140mm (don’t want to go more than this really and don’t want a 29er).

Very impressed with a demo ride on last years 27.5″ Orange 5 (and also a Santa Cruz 5010 which felt more lively than the Orange, but before I take the plunge what other bikes should I consider? Anything from some less well known manufacturers that could hit the mark as an all round steed?

honourablegeorge

Canyon Spectral, Bird Aeris

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Tallboy LT
    Rocky Instinct/Thunderbolt/Altitude

coogan
    Free Member

cokie

Whyte t130 or G150
    Kona Process 134 or 153
    Giant Anthem X or Trance

mikewsmith
    Free Member

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

my norco sight is lovely 😀

if not i’d be all over a Transition something or other.

also like how you mentioned 650b as an upgrade

jambalaya
    Free Member

Happy Transition owner here (older model) and would suggest you take a look at the Scout and also a Nukeproof Trail or AM

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

I know it’s a 29, but what abut a Codeine? Great value, look fun.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

don’t want to go more than this really and don’t want a 29er

Tried many, it’s the size of the wheels not the bike.

timraven

Happy Cotic Rocket owner here, not sure when the 27.5″ wheeled version will be ready though

mtbguiding
    Free Member

Marin Mount Vision XM8 or 9 if you can run to it. 140mm and by far the best bet of kit I have ever ridden. They are running a few demo days this summer so check them out. Disclaimer: am sponsored by them! Footnote: Would buy one if I wasn’t 🙂

drovercycles
    Free Member

Transition Scout
    Pyga OneTwenty
    Saracen Kili Flyer
    Mondraker Foxy

So many good bikes out there.

SirHC

Giant Trance, very impressed with mine. Built it up from a frame with Pikes/11spd/Arches, came out at 27lbs with a pair of exo minions. Pedals very well and is a true do it all bike, have ridden xc/dh and everything in between

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Happy Cotic Rocket owner here, not sure when the 27.5″ wheeled version will be ready though

I’m sure Jesus himself was on the waiting list for the UK made 26″ version so going by that, I’d estimate some time around the year 4000AD by which time civilisation will have been wiped out and Cotic will have realised they’ve missed the boat again (but will harp on about 27.5 not being dead).

kendo954
    Free Member

banshee spitfire – do it all bike

timraven

@DBW, I’m sure you’re right sadly……. apparently it is imminent, but so is the second coming of the great prophet Zarquan 🙄

Tracey

Specialized Stumpjumper or Stumpjumper Evo

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

I hope it is imminent Tim as its something I’d be interested in to replace my 26″ Five… Although I’d really struggle to look past another Five…

mikertroid
    Free Member

I dread the day I have to replace my ’10 Five. But with a 1 1/8″ steerer I think it’ll happen next year. Other than limited fork choice I can’t fault it. Other than its very expensive.

twang
    Free Member

I dread the day I have to replace my ’10 07 Five. But with a 1 1/8″ steerer I think it’ll happen next year. Other than limited fork choice I can’t fault it.

Amen bro…

rob8624
    Free Member

Heckler, even though it’s 150mm, worth considering as they are awesome bikes.

seavers
    Free Member

A second vote for a Heckler here, only had a demo on one but really nice lively bike. Also Zesty? I have a retro 26 version but it’s a hoot to ride. So many 150mm bikes that are worth considering so I wouldn’t dismis over 10mm.

Never tried one but Nukeproof TR275?

Also Rose bikes have the Granite Chief. Plus others. But one thing they offer that is very attractive is customisation. You can pretty much spec it up exactly as you like.

danbillam
    Free Member

Go with the five mate, I love the way mine rides and every ride feels better. The only thing I’ll be swapping for is another five or more likely an alpine.

themightymowgli
    Free Member

Another vote for the Mega TR. I did a frame build and it feels fantastic. So much fun.

roverpig

There are so many good bikes out there that you might as well just ask what people have in the shed! But given that you’ve ridden a single pivot and a VPP bike you might want to try a Stumpjumper and a Trance to get a feel for the major players. I’d probably add a Wyte T130 and a Bird Aeris, but really you are spoilt for choice.

scuttler

I dread the day I have to replace my ’10 07 ’08 Five. But with a 1 1/8″ steerer I think it’ll happen next year. Other than limited fork choice I can’t fault it.

Called time on my due to lack of beefy headset, no bolt through at either end, limited dropper choice (GD here), a couple of trips on slacker 27.5 rental bikes, and a massive desire to treat myself, so going through the motions. I had a razz on a 2015 Mk II Five and getting a go on the Aeris later this week. No such luck at getting a test ride on a Nukeproof in my area so it’ll probably be a Five or an Aeris.

More here – http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/orange-five-vs-bird-aeris-vs-nukeproof-mega-tr

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

transition scout!

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Okay so I've ridden the Orange 5, what else should I consider?’ is closed to new replies.