Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • OK, I feel dumb, what is a 'semi-cartridge' bearing?
  • TuckerUK
    Free Member

Looking at replacement headsets, what is a ‘semi-cartridge’ bearing? I understand what is meant by a cartridge bearing, but semi-cartridge?

robhughes
    Free Member

It’s a cartridge bearing that only half exited. 😉

parkesie
    Free Member

A cartridge bearing that’s not fully hardened 😆

JoeG
    Free Member

I think that its marketing-speak for caged bearings, also called a retainer.

Sheldon Brown

coatesy
    Free Member

Could mean a few things, cartridge bearing lower with cup & cone upper,or a pre-assembled cup & cone assembly that’s held together with a circlip so it looks like a cartridge, or maybe mrketing speak for a poor quality, barely sealed cartridge that’s not really up to the job.

TuckerUK
    Free Member

Hmmm, lots of good supposition, short on definitive facts. Anyone able to put this to bed?

Northwind

Impossible to answer really without context. I suspect it’s a component with 2 bearings, one cartridge one not , but who knows?

cookeaa

Impossible to answer really without context. I suspect it’s a component with 2 bearings, one cartridge one not , but who knows?

+1

Bottom bearing cartridge, top one caged perhaps?

clubber
    Free Member

As suggested above by JoeG, for a headset I’d reckon it’s probably some kind of caged bearing setup – eg very much like a sealed bearing in effect but not actually one.

nickjb
    Free Member

I think that its marketing-speak

+1

TuckerUK
    Free Member

OK, yes I know it’s marketing speak. So is ‘cartridge’ bearing. But we all know what they are referring to as a cartridge bearing. So, semi-cartridge bearing is a marketing term for what exactly?

It isn’t a headset with one cartridge and one loose or caged ball either, because FSA who sell a headset with semi-cartridge bearings, also sells headset with cartridge bottom bearing and caged ball top bearing.

I’ve posted a question with Wiggle.

iain1775
    Free Member

Whatever it is I’d probably avoid it anyway

TuckerUK
    Free Member

Oh I wasn’t in the market for one, just curious.

TuckerUK
    Free Member

From Wiggle:

I can confirm that on a Semi-cartridge bearing the seals are open at sides for servicing. I hope this helps.

If the seals are open, then surely they aren’t seals? 🙄

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘OK, I feel dumb, what is a 'semi-cartridge' bearing?’ is closed to new replies.