Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Light tourer CX type bike
  • pingu66
    Free Member

OK I am rubbish at choosing bikes so after advice and probably do not know enough.

Looking for a light touring type bile as I have a couple of charity rides coming up this year and only have a Specialized Epic which is inappropriate.

Budget not too important as I promised myself a second bike but looking at a bit of an all rounder.

Use will be tracks and footpaths along with road. Did the Trans Penine Trail last year so similar terrain to that really.

Thinking Salsa Fargo or Vaya type or CX capable of taking a pannier. It will never be heavily loaded but something I can comfortably do 100 miles a day on for a few days and use as an all year round bike. Probably want to have disks on it as well.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

I’m assuming your moutain bike with some slicks (or 700c wheels) wouldn’t cut the mustard?

globalti
    Free Member

I have a Spesh Tricross disc, which is excellent loaded up with rack and panniers and very comfortable over long distances. It has even demolished my prejudice against aluminium as a frame material.

If you live near Blackburn you’d be welcome to test ride it.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    drain

Surly Long Haul Trucker? Or Cross Check if you’re ok with V brakes?

headfirst
    Free Member

Surly LHT or Disc Trucker(what I’ve got) are probably over-kill for your needs.

How about the Genesis CdF, which is the ‘budget’ version of the Croix de Fer? Or the SS Day One Disc?

metal_leg
    Free Member

Vaya is a road tourer which can go off-road. Fargo is a off-road tourer which can do road. I have a vaya and it takes 1.75 tyres.

Vaya sounds perfect for what you want.

pingu66
    Free Member

Looked at the Surly bikes and did not really fancy them, not sure what it is but they don’t float my boat.

Nearly bought a Specialized Tricross last year but they couldn’t show me a pannier that fit.

So it may be a Solsa but as metal_leg says Vaya is a road tourer which can go off-road Fargo is a off-road tourer which can do road so which should I plump for.

I like the idea of the Fargo. Any other alternatives.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Love my Vaya… Its gotta be siad.

Tim @ Sideways has a 56cm 2013 Genisis Vapour Disc in for £850 which I’d be snapping up if I din’t have the Vaya.

PePPeR

I saw that Genesis Vapour on facebook yesterday, shame it’s only a 56cm frame, otherwise I’d be looking to upgrade my Lemond Poprad!

RustySpanner

Pinnacle Arkose – best value out there.
    Bloody good reviews too.

pingu66
    Free Member

Yeah seen the Pinnacle and its designed by the guy that used to do Genesis, however it is an Evans brand, call me a brand snob but what is the product quality like. That said even if the frame fell apart you would stil have some shiny 105 bits!

Might be interested in the Vapour, 6ft will I fit a 56cm frame? I tend to go a little smaller than bigger, my Epic is a medium.

Looking at overall designs the reason I didn’t get the Spesh Tricross was the pannier and that was due to having the brake caliper on the seat stay rater than the chain stay. I know its picky but from a usability point of view I am reading that makes some difference.

mattsccm
    Free Member

My Cotic x doubles as my loaded tourer. As did my Kaffenback.that doues lots of things well.

jimilindley
    Free Member
    jameso

it is an Evans brand, call me a brand snob but what is the product quality like.

What do you want to know? ) No secrets about our sources as far as I’m concerned.

RustySpanner

Pingu – you’re a brand snob!

The Pinnacle frame has had some very favourable reviews.
    I’d be amazed if it’s not built in the same factory as some much more fashionable brands.

EDIT: See?

tobymc

Triton Cycles have some good deals on vaya’s. Limited choice of sizes though, 55-57cms it seems.

tobymc

Voucher code too – EASY5 – for another 5% off…….. and no, i dont work for them! I did buy a reduced El Mar though, and its quite good!

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Pingu 56cm would be spot in IMHO..

pingu66
    Free Member

Hmm all great advice, liking the Triton deal!

I did look at the Pinnacle as well last year but as Rusty Spanner has tagged me a brand snob! (Really I am not but I was not seeing anything around the service side and I did not want to be an early adopter!)

LadyGresley
    Free Member

I just bought a Trek Crossrip – disc brakes, rack and mudguards fitted. Seems good so far, even though I’ve never ridden drop bars before.

pingu66
    Free Member

@MSP Why oh why oh why does somebody always have to do that.

I looked at the Shand briefly last year and thought, out of budget. This year the budget is better and its a lovely bike. But is it £1000 better bike?

It sort of ticks another box which is to get something different which would start to include Van Nicholas,Moots, Linksey. It would have to be something special to go over £2k.

But there are a lot of good value bikes out there like the Trek.

shandcycles
    Free Member

@MSP Why oh why oh why does somebody always have to do that.

cheque’s in the post MSP!

metal_leg
    Free Member

If I had the money I would have bought the Shand. I didn’t so I have a Vaya.

pingu66
    Free Member

OK I like the Shand and can I get a discount!

Can I email you Mr Shandcycles!

shandcycles
    Free Member

Can I email you Mr Shandcycles!

Yes, email to babymonkeybackwardsonapigbabymonkey@shandcycles.com

scotroutes

Van Nicholas Amazon??

Something like this in touring mode

2010-04-13 23-45-11 by ScotRoutes, on Flickr

or cross it up

IMAG0269 by ScotRoutes, on Flickr

billyboy
    Free Member

Vaya

federalski
    Free Member

There is/was a cracking 56cm Van Dessel in the classifieds. Search for it.
    If it was bigger I’d have snapped it up.

aazlad
    Free Member

Earlier today I collected my brand new Cotic >x< from Bike Doctor in Rusholme and my first impression is…Wow.

I’ve only ever ridden mountain bikes but wanted a quick commuter that would make me more inclined to bike the 25km commute which includes the Ashton canal and Tame Valley Way (75%) with a bit of road through Ashton and Stalybridge.

I test rode it earlier along the section of the Pennine Bridleway that runs through Saddleworth and I’m very impressed. It’s fast, light and gobbled the muddy bits and cobbles no problem. I can’t wait to ride it into Manchester in the morning. I already feel at home on it and on the drops bars.

The road.cc review gave it a right good kicking (the reviewer was probably comparing it to a road bike) but having read the cyclistno1.co.uk reviews, based on my first impression I would say they got it bang on (from a mountain bikers perspective).

I test rode a couple of Genesis (CDF and Day One)(albeit only around Evans’ car park) and I couldn’t image tackling cobbles and mud on them but the Cotic was very comfortable.

The only thing I’m not looking forward to is the decision on Saturday morning whether to go out on the mountain bike or grab the >X< and tour the Dark Peak.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

The road.cc review gave it a right good kicking (the reviewer was probably comparing it to a road bike)

Eh? WTF?

Pretty sure Jo knows more than just how to draw sheep… 🙄

It’s light

Really? I don’t think anyone would agree with you there…

antigee

i run my kinesis pro6 with mudguards and a rear rack for touring duties
    nice looking amazon

damitamit
    Free Member

I’ve got the aluminium version of the old Van Nic Amazon, the Airborne Carpe Diem. Over the years I’ve used it as a road bike, cross bike and tourer. Very versatile!

So something like would be good. I’m just in the process of transferring all the parts over to a Salsa Casseroll (the new version takes canti’s, thou I’m unsure how CX orientated it is), as they were cheap at Triton Cycles.

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Light tourer CX type bike’ is closed to new replies.