Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 97 total)
  • Oh, Mercedes…..What have you done?
  • CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

From the company that brought you this;

and this;

and this;

Pandering to the ‘merkins?

Drac

They have history.

Klunk
    Free Member

thats quite subdued for mercedes 🙄 they need more amg chrome chintz.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Good point, Drac. Sadly. 🙁

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Mercs can look like whatever but I’d never have another since the autobox on the wife’s CLK320 went at 67K miles & cost 1.8K to fix. Plus other silly stuff going wrong before 80K miles.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Moar pointless bloated £500 a month chasers..

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

The op drives an SUV doesn’t he?

jambalaya
    Free Member

With a 12L motor and in white they’ll sell plenty in the Gulf

I am no fan of Mercedes anyway but the SUV models are their worst.

ElShalimo

@Flashy – yes it’s a posh Navarra, we had this on a thread months ago

@Drac – they’re not very pretty but quite popular for the well heeled in Alpine environments. Seen loads in Austria, Germany and the Dolomites.

I saw a M500 4×4 squared in Garmisch in March been driven by a geriatric who parked it and went into the hairdresser. £250k for a silly car!!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Yep. Heated seats and everyfink! 🙂

(And an old W123 tucked away!)

matt_outandabout

Almost as bad as the Bently bentgeyer that overtook us this week.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Bent Tiger?

*Voms*

For info, I’m rocking a XC90.

Dull, but not trying to be anything other than a MILFVagen, which it does incredibly well. The Merc and Bent Tiger are both trying too hard!

kneebiscuit
    Free Member

I kind of like the yellow one 😳

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Dull, but not trying to be anything other than a MILFVagen, which it does incredibly well. The Merc and Bent Tiger are both trying too hard!

Yes, of course.

But, you drive an SUV. Admittedly nit the XC90 you’d like to be seen driving. And now you’re having a go at Merc for pandering to a market? LOLz.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Sorry but have you seen a Mk1 A Class?

Tbh I’d have either of those pickups, would be quite happy if they became a Thing again and Ford updated the P100.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I’d like the new twin engine XC90, ’tis true. Current one is rather excellent for now, though.

Mercedes making a pick up is like Volvo trying to make a sports car. Just plain wrong! (Although, an old skool T5R remains very cool. Not a sports car, just very cool)

have you seen a Mk1 A Class

I had one as a work car many, many years ago. Horrid thing!

squirrelking
    Free Member

I had one as a work car many, many years ago. Horrid thing!

I’m not sure what’s more impressive, living to tell the tale, not burying the memory or having the courage to admit that in public!

aP
    Free Member

I may have a C estate….

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Surely a few years ago you’d have been saying “…Volvo making a SUV…” yet here you are driving one.

Plainly, you have no use for a Merc pickup so you’re happy to sneer at one. They’re just responding to the market. They have a thriving commercials business – don’t you realise? Vito? Citan? Sprinter? Not to mention numerous 7.5T plus vehicles.

Jesus, even Fiat are making pickups these days. Get with the. programme gramps.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

For the avoidance of doubt, I do rather like a pickup. I spend a lot of time in the US, and find myself wanting a F150. Ideally a Hennessey.

I then realise that they’re silly.

tillydog
    Free Member

This is betterer

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

UNIMOGWANT! 🙂

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

OMG…

but…but…but..,gullwings.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Has anyone ever made a gullwing Unimog? I need to know.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I dunno…but Volvo made an SUV. Imagine that?? It’s almost as bad as Merc making a pick-up.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Unimog isn’t an American lardarse pick up. Unimog is a Unimog.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Oh I see.

An XC90 is a lardarse SUV isn’t it?

deserter
    Free Member

25% import duty on non North American made pickups, thats why no hilux or VW etc in North America

So I guess they are going to build them somewhere in North America

DickBarton

I’d take a unimog every day over everything else on this thread…please.

JoeG
    Free Member
    aP
    Free Member

Yes it’s really Nissan, but if you’re going to sell a stupid truck, wouldn’t it be a good idea to just ‘badge engineer’ a really successful one rather than spen a couple of billion on a market sector you know nothing about?
    At least it’s not a Volvo.

wilburt
    Free Member

Mercs look like Vauxhalls to me.

frankconway

What you want is one of these……

https://www.topgear.com/car-news/weird/first-drive-brabus-6×6-takes-london

It’s predecessor was a G63 6×6 which was definitely mad; there’s a top gear clip of Hammond test driving up & down sand dunes somewhere in the middle east but I can’t be bothered to find and post it.

deserter
    Free Member

That article says not for North America, so its not for mericans as thought

frankconway

For the Unimogsters there’s this…..

http://unimog.dk/news/classicdriveru500.htm

@deserter – the 6×6 was aimed at the middle eastern market; the cousins will have to make do with hummers.

sbob
    Free Member

It says a lot when Porsche’s best seller is their 4×4.
    It’s a shame that so many brands have been diluted.
    At least Jaguar’s boss had the decency to admit that the X-type was a mistake.

Drac

Yes it’s really Nissan, but if you’re going to sell a stupid truck, wouldn’t it be a good idea to just ‘badge engineer’ a really successful one rather than spen a couple of billion on a market sector you know nothing about?

Well except like DD points out they do know given the variety of commercial vehicles they produce and of various G Wagons.

strike
    Free Member

X Class makes a lot of sense for a company who are also VERY big in commercial vehicles.

DezB
    Free Member

Bet those pickups look mean in the flesh.

I thought this was going to be about Merc doing a recall for emissions. Er yeah, like we jus thought it would be a bit better for our customers, like…nothing to do with the investigations or nuffin..!

strike
    Free Member

It’s not a recall, it’s a ‘voluntary service action’!

The engine in question is also designed/produced by Renault (latest incarnation of the K9K) so it’ll be interesting to see if the finger is pointed again at said company (as I recall it was last year).

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 97 total)

The topic ‘Oh, Mercedes…..What have you done?’ is closed to new replies.