Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 97 total)
  • Oh, Mercedes…..What have you done?
  • jamesfts
    Free Member

Pickup trucks are ace*, wouldn’t be without one in the family.

One on the left looks fine apart from the colour (all pickups are ugly), if it is practical, tows well, is handy off-road but with Merc luxury I’d happily drive it. Wheels/tyres on the grey truck render it pretty much useless.

Not sure I’d be quite as happy to throw the dogs on the back seat and jump in it covered as I am in our L200 though.

*If you live in the sticks and actually use it as a truck!

onewheelgood

Where’s the barf emoji?

There is no good reason for this to exist, but a lot of very bad ones.

easyrider
    Free Member

In my family we call all those silly bloated cars ‘nappy cars’ on account of the rear ‘nappy’. Also the ridiculous driver aids and other crap that nobody needs.

Here’s a classic ‘nappy car’

matt_outandabout

Nappy car – looks like its had a dump in there too. Time for a change.

easyrider
    Free Member

Hah good one!

teasel
    Free Member

That Q7 is scarily big in the metal, as it were. Probably run straight over the top of some small cars without even realising it.

“I think it was a pothole, daahling…”

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

I think anyone who drives any of these fat urban SUVs should take an extra parking test. I live have the week in Surrey and the car parks and roads outside schools are made impassable by big Volvos, Audis and Discos, usually black, often driven by a blonde on the phone… 👿

tinybits
    Free Member

Q7 5,052 mm L x 1,968 mm W x 1,740 mm H
    Ford Mondeo 4,867 mm L x 1,852 mm W x 1,501 mm H
    so that’s 18.5cm longer, 11.6cm wider and 23.9cm higher.

Not that huge compared to completely average other cars!

Cars got big, lots of people want one, cars are seen as a status symbol by lots of the worlds population (however I suspect a left leaning cycling forum isn’t actually a perfect cross section of society so may seem that nobody thinks this way…) and manufactures, if they think there’s a market to make a profit, will bring something out to sell. Yay capitalism.

Oh, and I’d quite like a pickup even though they are completely impractical for me!

ransos
    Free Member

A Ford Mondeo is a large car.

ElShalimo

Here’s some therapy for those offended by the images above

These are is for McMoonter!

tinybits
    Free Member

I want a Bavarian forest to go with my unimog!

matt_outandabout

I want a forest and a Unimog.

teasel
    Free Member

Yeah, perhaps I should’ve justified my post by explaining I was in a Mini when I encountered that Q7 beast.

ransos
    Free Member

Yeah, perhaps I should’ve justified my post by explaining I was in a Mini when I encountered that Q7 beast.

Minis, Fiestas, Corsas et al are way more popular than Ford Mondeos. So yes, a Q7 is completely huge compared to the cars most people drive!

teasel
    Free Member

Indeed, Ransos. That was the point I was making – popularity!

easyrider
    Free Member

Fatties like fat cars!

Drac

Q7 5,052 mm L x 1,968 mm W x 1,740 mm H

Golf exterior dimensions
    Length 4,255mm
    Width (excluding door mirrors) 1,799mm
    Height 1,476mm

They’re pretty big.

loddrik
    Free Member

Being that most of the cars in N America seem to be pickups, I’d say Merc knows its markets.

Drac

Those hoping for a version here in North America will likely be sorely disappointed, as Mercedes announced plans to sell the X-Class in overseas markets, but not the United States.

teasel
    Free Member

So, just the wannabees, then…

🙂

footflaps

For the avoidance of doubt, I do rather like a pickup. I spend a lot of time in the US, and find myself wanting a F150.

F350 surely; the 150 is just the US equivalent of a super-mini.

Edukator
    Free Member

When I saw one of th epics on the previous page I really thought “why has someone posted a Kangoo” in th etime it took to focus on the Merc badge. I knew they were using Renault’s Douvrin built engine but now it seems they’ve rebadged the whole car:

martymac

Nico
    Free Member

I suspect a left leaning cycling forum isn’t actually a perfect cross section of society

If I ever find one I’ll let you know.

madhouse

Surely not that many people need a pick-up? They’re handy for shifting big stuff and a few extra people to lift it when you get to the other end but otherwise they’ve got all the impracticalities of a flatbed and 4×4 mixed into one.
    Chances are all the people who get one will stick a truckman or one of those pointless hard covers on it thus turning it into the estate car or 4×4 they should have bought in the first place. Not of course that they need a 4×4 because they live in Surrey and will only ever park on the pavement, besides those 22″ rims and road tyres render it useless on anything more off-road than a cricket pitch.

Basically car makers have hit critical mass and are therefore producing vehicles to pander to every niche and charging handsomely for it, well done them.

Stainypants

Living in Cheshire I’ve seen a few of these around, but I saw one at weekend in “golden brown” and you have to see it in the flesh to appreciate how ugly they really are.

BobaFatt
    Free Member

remember when flash cars weren’t for everyone?

It’s like these manufacturers that were once seen as luxury vehicles are now making motors to fit in to every possible niche.

IMHO, the only decent “SUV” that Merc has ever made

squirrelking
    Free Member

Chances are all the people who get one will stick a truckman or one of those pointless hard covers on it thus turning it into the estate car or 4×4 they should have bought in the first place.

How many estates or 4×4’s can you hose down the boot area in?

easyrider
    Free Member

How many estates or 4×4’s can you hose down the boot area in?

I reckon more people will have the desire to put some massive 22” chrome look alloys on their pickup, like some vehicle from Barbie world or something, than people hosing their vehicle down.

newrobdob
    Free Member

Sizes of modern cars……

This is a scale comparison of a Mk1 Range Rover and a new 5 door Mini. Done by a friend of mine who does high end animation and imagery so it’s very accurate.

Quite scary!!

Del

i’d like to see the height of the bonnets compared, SUV vs regular car, and then compared to the height of the average 8 year old.
    they’re not driven to school because their parents are worried about peados… 🙄

CountZero

Mini Countryman are sodding huge! But so are those Fiat 500 X, which I had the misfortune to have to drive last year, woefully underpowered, on one of the sloping bits of the M4 up to Tormarton, I had to go down to 3rd on a six-speed box to keep it going.

It says a lot when Porsche’s best seller is their 4×4.

Guess what platform the new Bentley Continental GT is based on…
    The old VW Phaeton platform is a bit long in the tooth now.
    I have driven a Merc ML, a Q7, and a current Range Rover, and they’re bloody intimidating to drive, trying to manoeuvre them around tight spaces is a nightmare.
    But not as bad as a 3.5 ton builders truck, or an ex-Royal Navy 15-seat LDV minibus with a worn-out gearbox…

Drac

remember when flash cars weren’t for everyone?

Like it was yesterday.

I have driven a Merc ML, a Q7, and a current Range Rover, and they’re bloody intimidating to drive, trying to manoeuvre them around tight spaces is a nightmare.

It’s not really though is it, not what I’ve found when I drove a Q7 but then again I’ve driven larger vehicles since I was 18 on a daily bases.

Kryton57

And now they seems to have an “emissions problem”? Global recall to change the engine management software, apparently.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/jul/19/mercedes-recalls-3m-diesel-cars-emissions-concerns

TheDTs
    Free Member

The inside of the Merc Pickup is pretty grim, not exactly commercial, more Liberace..
    [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FS-ui9JoGi4[/video]

CountZero

Personally, given the appropriate fund to allow me to buy and run one, I’d love one of these, and they’re not physically that big:

aP
    Free Member

Kryton57 – Member
    And now they seems to have an “emissions problem”? Global recall to change the engine management software, apparently.

Only on the 1.5l Renault developed engine – after all how many times over the limit is the Renault Kaptur? 17-18?

bikebouy
    Free Member

My Mate has a GLA AMG ^^ I think you’d be rather disappointed by the interior and it’s very low grade plastics, multiple rattles and very poor boot seals..

But I have test driven one of these, and it was nice.. small inside, but very comfortable and extremely quiet.

Edukator
    Free Member

A lot more than just the 1.5l, ap. They quote the V-class which only uses a Mercedes 2.2 diesel.

Drac

Affected engines include the four-cylinder 1.6-litre and 2.1-litre diesels, along with the 3.0-litre V6. The latest OM 654 family of 2.0-litre diesels that are fitted to selected E-Class and C-Class models are not affected

😀

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 97 total)

The topic ‘Oh, Mercedes…..What have you done?’ is closed to new replies.