Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)
  • OH fek……………………………………………………
  • Spankmonkey
    Free Member

heck of a day….. Not sure if my biking days are numbered. So today I had an MRI on my neck, in short for 6 months pins needles and pain in my neck, Left shoulder, leg and arm. The MRI showed in their words a MASSIVE herninated disc(s) so bad it is almost on the arteries on both sides. The consultant was concerned after looking 10 mins after the mri she called the surgeon. So bad they have put me to the top of the list for surgery before xmas. Bad part is they need to decaptate me and remove part of my spine / neck (possibly 2 discs)going through the front near my throat………………. and replace them with a fake disc or metal bridge so major surgery and just as I built my new stead 🙁

mikey74
    Free Member

That sucks mate. Hope you have a safe and speedy recovery.

simondbarnes

Eek! Best of luck.

Suggsey
    Free Member

I know its a big Op but I know a couple of folk that have had it done and they are fine- I think they use a useless bit of hip bone or something like that to help fix it. Better to get it fixed than be unable to ride so much as a recumbant!
    Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

bigyinn
    Free Member

At least they found the problem before it was too late. Good luck with the op!

Spankmonkey
    Free Member

thanks… They wont use my bone, they said either fuse what is left, use a metal bridge or a fake one, they were great and frm just the MRI 1 hour later put down for very quick surgery, just shocked as to the level of surgery needed

crikey
    Free Member

Chin up!
    Sorry, that was in best STW tradition…
    You're in their hands now, so relax and take it easy.

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

Yeah, sorry 'bout the surgery and allthat but what's the new stead?

stompy

Jeez…… could you just get by with a bit of gaffa tape on it??? 🙂

Best of luck chap.

Curly68
    Free Member

Thats not good news so near to xams but, now you know what was the cause of the pain and can get it sorted.
    Should be better riding for you next year!

valleydaddy
    Free Member

oh fek in deed!!

not nice sounding operation but at least they found it before is nipped an artery or the worst could have happened – heaven forbid.

the company I work for makes bits for replacing spinal discs etc so I am sure you'll come out ok, as for riding quiz the surgeon on worst outcome, although they'll always tell you to expect the worst case scenario so if your recovery is better you will be overjoyed 😀

good luck

Spankmonkey
    Free Member

ah the new stead, a remedy 8 rather nice…. I will be doing 1 ride before the op as it is around 4 month recovery

johnikgriff
    Free Member

Good luck mate.

caledonia
    Free Member

My dad has had this done, and now sports a natty Titanium cage between vertebrae.
    He woke up and there was no pain. Instant relief after 1year of pain like you describe.

Yes it's a risky surgery, but so is a bunch of other less invasive surgeries.

Best of luck to you and hope all goes well !

mikey74
    Free Member

I will be doing 1 ride before the op as it is around 4 month recovery

I would check with the docs first: You don't want to mess with that.

scaredypants

MTFU ! – who hasn't been decapitated these days ? 😯

(best of luck with the op)

matt_outandabout

Hope it goes well – keep us informed (is it wrong to ask for pics? 😉 )

JonBurns
    Free Member

Titanium or Carbon which is best for replacement neck?

Hope it all goes well and your back on the bike for when the weathers better 8)

crikey
    Free Member

YGM..

flatback
    Free Member

i had a big op a while back, and man you put on weight fast when you are not riding, i would while your mobile start a little diet before the op so you can afford to eat and not worry after the op about comfort eating and eating the chocolates that every one brings

my thoughts are with you all the best

beefy

Man the heck up, you could do that on local anesthetic!

My wife is a health professional and she is squirming at the thought of the op!

That is pretty hard core, imagine the scare though!

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

Aah best of luck with that Matthew

stumpy01

Best of luck with it! I hope it all goes well.

aldomac
    Free Member

Best of luck and savour that one ride…… 😥

Did they say what caused it?

markenduro
    Free Member

Bit of a pisser at any time of year. At least you will be back on it in spring though so will miss the worst of the weather.
    While they are at it you could get them to put an extra vert in and join the african tribe…
    Good luck

Spankmonkey
    Free Member

Well im hoping for Ti spacer 🙂 as for the weight gain I have for the last 6 months around 1.8 stone 🙁 its going be a b1tch of a scare. 2 bottles of wine and I am feeling a bit more optomistic!!

Pigface
    Free Member

Good luck dude

mamadirt
    Free Member

Weight gain?? Think of the weight saving with a Ti spacer 😉 . Very best wishes . . . you can start looking forward to the Spring right now 🙂

Kit
    Free Member

Wow 😯 All the best buddy! And try and get some video/photos of the op if you can 😀

Rona

Oh jings … hope it all goes well for you. Fingers and toes crossed for a speedy recovery.

Tracker1972
    Free Member

Could your riding days be numbered? Didn't slow down Steve Austin, welcome to your new improved bionic future!

forge197
    Free Member

That's nasty. hope it works out all ok and recovery is swift. Is all that a result of riding or some other cause if you don't mind us asking?

MidLifeCyclist
    Free Member

All the best.

Think of all the fantastic pain-free riding that you're going to be able to do next summer. It'll help you get through any tough bits – something to focus on.

Cheers

clareymorris

Thank god they are being so pro-active. I'm guessing you don't live in Cumbria!!

Ambrose

'kin 'ell- decapitated. that sounds harsh. We need pics m'thinks, as proof 😉

All the best, mend soon, Ambrose

Spankmonkey
    Free Member

Thanks all… bottle of wine last night and things became a lot clearer…. I mean blury 🙂

I will but ask for some piccies, someone asked how this started… No idea, yes I have had 2 bad crashes, did they cause this? I will never know.. they have said depending on how they do th eop will depend on what I can do after but they wont know until they are in there… mmmm just gonna have to sit back and see what happens!

yetiguy
    Free Member

All the best dude !

runswithscissors

All the best with that mate.

Notter
    Free Member

Share everyone's sentiment in wishing you all the best with it. You can console yourself with knowing that after 4 months recovery it'll be Spring and the trails will be dry and dusty…..(yeah right 😉 )

tinsy
    Free Member

Your bike is aptly named to help your recovery.. Good luck.

So were going to be waiting so long to find out if the weight saving on the bike has made much difference to its abilities, that you will have forgotten how it rode before the diet? Can you put all the old stuff back on while your laid up? 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘OH fek……………………………………………………’ is closed to new replies.