• This topic has 19 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by myti.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Oestopaths – are they any good?
  • 888trojan888
    Free Member

I have had a persistent back pain for a while now which is getting worse. It’s mid back and lower back.
    Has anyone used an oestopath and are they any good?

Spin
    Free Member

I know people who think they are miracle workers and others that have been made much, much worse by an osteopath.

Scientifically speaking the evidence for their effectiveness is limited.

manoirdelourde
    Free Member

Look for a McTimoney chiropractic, they have always worked for me, less aggressive than most, but sometimes less is more . . .

Spin
    Free Member

Look for a McTimoney chiropractic

Quackery.

chrisdiesel
    Free Member

Always fix me 10x better than any physio I’ve been too!!!
    I find I go every 6/9 months when I start to feel my lower back become very tight and limit my movement

Onzadog
    Free Member

Good Osteopaths are good. Bad ones are not. Don’t confuse them with chiropractors, who are indeed, masters of quackery.

MartynS

Yes,

Well the one I used was brilliant.
    He’s in leek if you’re in the northwest area…

solarpowered
    Free Member

Yes! They are (in my eyes) brilliant!
    *sounds like a moany old woman* …. Arthritis in hips- bouts of pain reduced by MONTHS post treatment. Aggrevated lumbar disc settled after 4-6 weeks of treatment. Pretty good time frames I rekon compared to others with similar complications with their lower back. And very recent shoulder injury….couldn’t really drive 6 weeks ago but I’m riding bikes again now 🙂
    As Onzadog has said though- go by word of mouth… A good one IS REAL good!!!

Stoner
    Free Member

+1 onzadog

The only physical therapy I use is a (mountain biking) osteopath in Malvern. Who has, ahem, been known to post in here.

At 6’4″ your back becomes something you have to keep an eye on.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

An osteopath fixed my lower back trouble. GP was scathing but didn’t help.

tang
    Free Member

My osteopath has sorted me out. If you need a good one in Gloucestershire let me know.

BigEaredBiker
    Free Member

Chiro sorted me out a few times a few years back; they emptied the wallet in my back pocket I had been sitting on…

tmb467
    Free Member

A good chiropractor / osteopath is better than a bad physio

However I’ve seen a half decent chiro and a good Physio and have had more long term benefit from the physio

Word of mouth helps – if you’re Leeds based I’m happy to share my experiences

michaelbowden

If you’re surrey based happy to suggest mine. He’s a cyclist too.

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Sadly I think like with anything some are good and some are bad – I go to two physio’s and one is amazing but really hard to get an appointment with. The other is a firm of physio’s but they are 30% as effective as the other.

rone

In my experience of at least 5 chiros, 2 oesteos, and 2 Physios for lower back pain – the Oesteo was far more in depth and have helped a lot. It’s a common misconception that a chiropractor is quackery but I wouldn’t agree, certainly for manipulation of joints in fact this can be fine by your GP. The quackery mantra comes from all the other stuff surrounding the health of the spine. However I would say chiropractors are the most vague at solving problems and certainly don’t spend much time after a while.

Physios were the least successful too me and very old school, in that they always get you to do more core work and don’t seem to be interested in much else.

Bottom line, still have a tight lower back, but manage it with Oesteo, lots of home massage using triggerpoint stuff and lots of lying down.

I can keep doing my 10-12 hours a week on the bike without much problem, but it’s never going away. The gp/NHS were useless and I quote , “whilst you keep doing what you are doing you will always have a tight spine/lumber.” Useful.

tmb467
    Free Member

A good X is always better than a bad Y

Insert physio / chiro / osteopath for x and y

Muscle pain in general is due to bad movement patterns. If you fix the movement pattern then you will inevitably get rid of the pain or at the very least, learn how to release / relieve it. I was lucky that the physio I saw was pretty clued up and was able to teach me some strength and conditioning stuff. It was hard work sticking with it and basically learning to move again. Finally got to dealing with the root cause (a broken collar bone and the subsequent 20 years of bad movement) after relearning how to breathe, move, bend, rotate and stretch, and to use balls and rollers to release and massage tissue

There’s no quick and easy answer to fixing pain but if you get a good teacher, you’re half way there

MoreCashThanDash

As with all things they vary. I used to use a physio to sort my back till she got careless one day and made it worse. I now see an osteo, originally weekly after a bad episode, now for a six weekly check up to prevent episodes.

He’s been great – £30 a time he should be!

iirc, Osteopathy was the first non traditional medicine that was officially recognised

888trojan888
    Free Member

Mine is more likely to be from a combination of bad posture and some recent heavy crashes. I’m based manchester way so if anyone has a recommendations? What do you typically pay?

myti
    Free Member

I pay £35 for about 45 mins.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Oestopaths – are they any good?’ is closed to new replies.