Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Odd bike choice
  • angeldust
    Free Member

I’m thinking of buying a shiney new bike mostly as an incentive to ride more and just because I fancy one really.
    At the moment I ride an Orange 5 (few years old) which does everything I need and is still going strong. I intended to compliment this with the new bike. I had in mind something short travel and light (but not a hardtail) and have my eye on a 2011 Specialized Epic comp carbon (~25.5lbs and £2700). I expect this to be a much better climber than my 5 (which is just over 30 lbs) and different enough that I will choose which one I ride depending on the route and my mood. The Epic doesn’t look amazing value spec wise, but does seem to fit the bill. I won’t be racing on it, just riding for pleasure. I struggle uphill so it looks tempting.

However, something a bit different has caught my eye – the new Whyte 146 S. These look very interesting and probably better value than the Epic (26lb, 150mm travel, £3000, which is top of budget). Pretty similar in weight to the Epic – but would the extra travel mean it climbs much more poorly? Also similar in concept to the Orange so could mean the old bike gets sold (or just kept as a hack bike – don’t really loose either way).

So, is it the weight that will help me on the climbs, or the geometry and short travel. Any other comments on these very different bikes welcome.

thomthumb
    Free Member

climbing is a measure of power to weight ratio. without making your legs stronger lightening the load you drag to the top is the only way to make climbing easier.

angeldust
    Free Member

So you think those two bikes will climb equally well? I can’t help but think the geometry and shorter suspension travel of the Epic will make it significantly easier to complete climbs in the real world.

epicsteve
    Free Member

I think ease of climbing is also affected by geometry – my Epic isn’t the lightest bike I’ve owned (although at 25lbs it’s reasonably light) but is the best uphill bike I’ve ridden.

angeldust
    Free Member

Interesting feedback epicsteve. Any other comments about how your Epic compares to a longer travel trail bike? I’m hoping to borrow a friends Giant Anthem to see for myself.

foxyrider
    Free Member

HT? Climbs even better IMHO 🙂

angeldust
    Free Member

Still have a bad back so HT is a no-go!

foxyrider
    Free Member

oops we have been here before angeldust 🙂 [bows out gracefully]

epicsteve
    Free Member

Interesting feedback epicsteve. Any other comments about how your Epic compares to a longer travel trail bike?

The only longer travel FS I can compare it to is my Enduro, but the lightest I’ve had that so far is about 32lbs (coil forks and shock). While that climbs quite well the Epic is a lot quicker, adding up to several minutes over a 2 hour ride (based on GPS tracks).

HT? Climbs even better IMHO

Not in my experience. I’ve several hardtails, a couple of which are lighter than the Epic (one several pounds lighter) but I find the Epic climbs better than any of them.

angeldust
    Free Member

No problem foxy. Though in the past when I regularly rode a hardtail and FS of similar weight I never found the HT climbed significantly better/easier/quicker. Could be a grip/riding style issue too though.

xc-steve
    Free Member

Curious what the set up of your 5 is? Have you contemplated getting some adjustable and lighter forks?! With some light wheels might make the bike under 30lbs and have better angles for climbing (lowering the forks for the ups) and might be cheaper!

angeldust
    Free Member

My 5 has Fox 32 Talas RTL and I usually dial them to minimum travel for climbs. One of the things I’m slightly concerned about is that the non-adjustable 150mm travel forks on the Whyte 146 won’t put me in the best position for climbing.

Also I don’t want to change the Orange – I like it the way it is, but I have some money burning a whole in my pocket and fancy a new bike.

si-wilson
    Free Member

For 3k you can buy an awful lot of bike. IMO buying the spesh would not be the best choice.

I like the look of the new Whyte, looks like a top quality bike and well thought out for your average UK riding.

Do you not fancy building your own?

angeldust
    Free Member

TBH I’d rather spend my limited free time riding than building. Plus I wouldn’t change the spec much on the Whyte. Any other bike options you would recommend? What don’t you like about the Epic?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Odd bike choice’ is closed to new replies.