Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Obscuring number plate when selling car online?
  • higgo
    Free Member

Why? What are the risks?

The number plate is obviously in the ‘public domain’. I’m selling the thing any way. I’m happy for anyne buying it to look up any online history. So why should I bother obscuring the number plate?

Three_Fish
    Free Member

People (who don’t live anywhere near you) selling another car with a false (your) plate and using your picture to advertise.

Drac

Yup stops your car number plate being copied for a duplicate car.

donsimon
    Free Member

Yup stops your car number plate being copied for a duplicate car.

They can’t do that by standing on the side of the road? And who are they?

MSP

Thats sneaky of them, its not like they could find another red mondeo plate by walking down a street.

Hohum
    Free Member

MSP – Member
    Thats sneaky of them, its not like they could find another red mondeo plate by walking down a street.

A red mondeo is going to be used in a bank robbery and they are going to put your registration on it to confuse the police and you when you get a knock on on the door asking what you were doing at the other end of the country yesterday.

Drac

But then it’s local so the chances of it the fake being spotted by the owner of the original are more likely.

Pieface

Also used to ‘avoid’ congestion charges IIRC

Stoner
    Free Member

Although nowadays you cant get a plate made up without showing your V5.

Had to get one for the trailer, bit of a hassle.

cynic-al
    Free Member

stoner you are trialer-trash 😮

Did you fake teh licence plate on that house you claim to have been building? ❓

TomB

Although nowadays you cant get a plate made up without showing your V5.

I thought that, then when I got my tow bar bike carrier someone on here pointed me in the direction of “not for road use ‘show plates'” on ebay. £5 +p/p later and I had a new number plate the next day. The law is an ass….

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Obscuring number plate when selling car online?’ is closed to new replies.