Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Obesity – Will the gradual decline of western economies sort it all out?
  • bravohotel8er
    Free Member

Right, so food used to be fairly expensive and the bulk of the population worked in agriculture/heavy industry and expended a great deal of energy during the course of the day. Outcome? Not many fat people, indeed being fat was a status symbol as only the affluent could afford to eat well, let alone overeat.

Then through the course of time food becomes very cheap, artificially cheap even. Fitting, given that so much of it is artificial processed muck. People still have the choice to eat healthily, but many choose not to. Agriculture goes into decline as we become increasingly dependent upon imports to survive and the traditional connection with the land is lost in our ever-more urbanised societies. At the same time, the old industries are in decline and most of us work in sedentary office jobs where the requirement for calories is far less. At the same time, thanks to the welfare state there is actually no need to work at all and you can still eat or overeat. Result? We become a nation of baker’s friends.

So, is there any point in the iDave diet, given that our economic decline and forthcoming collapse of the welfare state, coupled with the rise of the new economic powers in the East and rising food prices is likely to turn us all into racing snakes anyway?

Discuss.

Garry_Lager

All that, and an anti-obesity pill was approved this week in the US – qsymia. The future is slim.

meehaja
    Free Member

nah, people want cheap food… cheap food is food that lasts, so pumped full of fat and sugar for “preservation”. We’ll see less interesting foriegn fruit and veg that costs a lot to import i reckon.

scu98rkr
    Free Member

For some reason I think we maybe nearing the peak of many of the unhealthy aspects in this country.

I would nt be surprised if peak fatness is just around the corner. 🙂

I believe drug use has been declining for several years already. And I would not even be surprised if even peak alcohol usage in this country have been reached at the end of the last boom(2007).

For instance hasnt peak car usage already been reached in the UK ? Seeing as the population is alot higher than surely will mean more people walking in the future leading to less Obesity in the future.

My younger cousins in particular dont use cars at all.

I reckon increased education, awareness and better food production will help lessen these problems within says 20 years. (although history suggests Britons will always drink a fair bit). Exercise is becoming more and more popular. Amongst my friends (late 20’s SE often a predictor of future trends nationwide) more of them are losing weight, stoping smoking and exercising than the opposite(which might be expected on entering 30s). Obviously this hasnt spread to whole pop yet.

There will be other future problems we wont necessarily see coming. I mean who in the 1940s/50s/60s even 70s would have predicted the problem of Obesity and the cost to NHS/society. Not many ! That why it was allowed to creep up on us.

Arent STD becoming increasing common again ? Suicide in young men increasing ? Or people not having any children at all. These might be the problems future society faces.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Obesity – Will the gradual decline of western economies sort it all out?’ is closed to new replies.